Collecting Information for a Novel.

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Oasis

Collecting Information for a Novel.

Postby Oasis » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:40 pm

FTL is a great game. Not just for the actual replayability, or for the content, but for the sheer potential it has in other formats. It's almost like tabletop games, in a way, when you can tell a fun tale of "well, there I was, sector 8 with only level 2 engines..." and it works. People will listen, provided they're interested in games in the first place.

But with the proper presentation, it can be even more than that. Much of the infrastructure is built out, with the content, with the races and all. And the other bits and pieces of lore hanging about, with the backwater dealerships who'll upgrade your ship for a cheaper price, and some other ships to converse with. And the mantis that thinks he's a human. There's all this STUFF, and you could put all of it into a book. A novel, to be precise.

So I want to write a novel about FTL. About the journey made in the Kestrel, from Sector One to Eight, fighting their way through, losing and gaining members on your ship. So I'd like to hear about your adventures. Present them. I'd like to look through them, see what can be done in the game, and then write a book.

I'll have to have a look at the copyright thingamajig, but I'm not too concerned about that. I really want the universe of FTL to come to life, and explore the stories within. Hey, maybe even some stories from the point of view of pirates and rebels.

Anyway. Tell me what you've done, your biggest achievements and losses, and I can see what I can do with them. Thanks.
engi

Re: Collecting Information for a Novel.

Postby engi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:06 pm

biggest loss my maxed out boarding party names: varachos nomie :( this was onbord the kestrel :evil: i hate you edited engi i depise you!
Random Commander

Postby Random Commander » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 am

If you are willing to write an epic, long winded tale of a lengendary ship and it's legendary crew, Feel free to use my CE Battles stories. The characters themselves are in dire need of fleshing out ;)
SmoothPapaJ

Postby SmoothPapaJ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:07 am

Not really a story, but a worthy consideration. One thing I've been playing around with for the next installments of my FTL story (Ghosts of the Federation) is what makes humans unique. it's unlikely that the other species just consider humans "uninteresting" like their in-game description - the humans are prominent members of the Federation, common sights around the galaxy, and the masterminds of the immensely powerful Rebellion. One thing that I like about FTL is the amount of emotion you can invest in your little sprite-crew - they're all important in different ways, and they're all fragile and temporary, so you find yourself hoping dearly that they'll all pull through the next jump. Humans are no more important than anyone else - we're just another alien race in the Federation, and I think a successful FTL story should bring this out. What would an engi or a rock see as disgusting and alien about us? What might be unique to our race, for good, for bad, and for weird?
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 am

I'll have a look, Commander! Thank you for the suggestion!
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 am

SmoothPapaJ wrote:Not really a story, but a worthy consideration. One thing I've been playing around with for the next installments of my FTL story (Ghosts of the Federation) is what makes humans unique. it's unlikely that the other species just consider humans "uninteresting" like their in-game description - the humans are prominent members of the Federation, common sights around the galaxy, and the masterminds of the immensely powerful Rebellion. One thing that I like about FTL is the amount of emotion you can invest in your little sprite-crew - they're all important in different ways, and they're all fragile and temporary, so you find yourself hoping dearly that they'll all pull through the next jump. Humans are no more important than anyone else - we're just another alien race in the Federation, and I think a successful FTL story should bring this out. What would an engi or a rock see as disgusting and alien about us? What might be unique to our race, for good, for bad, and for weird?

Great suggestion! It's a lot like HFY (Humanity, Fuck Yeah!) in a way, since we are actually pretty weird. I was rather amazed that there weren't more species that didn't need oxygen. Oxygen is after all one of the most reactive substances in the known universe. I'll have to explore that idea, thank you!
META_mahn

Postby META_mahn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:13 am

We would always fail, at the very end, until the loyal zoltan from Team Mindcrack (rendition number 8) named Sethbling, along with two other loyal mantids, Nebris and Pakratt, gave their lives to help win the war once and for all.
Back from the dead. After a two year hiatus.
Zaisher

Postby Zaisher » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

what do you mean lack of content and replaybility? are we even talking about FTL :evil: :evil:
Neodaemo

Postby Neodaemo » Fri May 02, 2014 9:54 pm

Ya know this is a good idea. I started working on my own novel before I read this, mine are a prequel type thing on the Federation and the Hero's background. Maybe we could build an infrastructure for our stories together, build on each other's ideas?
overtoast

Postby overtoast » Wed May 14, 2014 9:21 pm

If you want information or inspiration, go read Breathe, a story that's been posted just recently. It's got really well-done writing, and is on this very forum.