Since I don't have much to do in terms of game development while I'm looking for artists.
I decided to improove the rendering logic a bit.
As you may have noticed, weapons are rendered on the ship at the angle pointing towards their current target.
Up till now weapon images would be rendered with that angle only if they fully fit on the screen:
if a weapon is only partially visible on the screen - it would always be rendered as pointing forward:
Now this is fixed and weapons are always rendered with their aim angle:
Thanks to Jrb0001 for the tips on how to do this.
Also when weapons rotate/aim it looked a bit ugly, because it would change the angle with jumps of several degrees at the same time.
Now the angle changes smoothly.
Also I have a new idea on how to implement the mob to mob combat mechanic:
1. Player presses X to toggle the combat mode.
2. In that mode the sprite looks as holding a weapon, and mooves a bit slower.
3. When in this mode - player can left click any other player/mob to select it as target.
4. Whenever player has clear line of sight of selected target(and he is facing the target) and the target is within the weapon's range - player auto shoots the target.
5. Delay between shots depends on the used weapon, as is the shooting range, damage, clip size and reload speed.
Your thoughts and feed back on it is, as always, very much appreciated.