Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Braxbro wrote:If we are, then the shieldless twin basic laser auto scout is the 'Retard'


I don't see how stupid it is.
You usually only start with 1 layer of shield and if it catches you early before you get two layers, then you're screwed aren't you? Sure it has no shields as well and probably in an asteroid field but come on, it was dodging rocks just fine until it went into combat.
Then again, it's probably a proper use of the word "retard" as it doesn't know any better. It was just born that way and slow on the uptake that maybe it shouldn't fight in an asteroid field.

The Beam Master is truly stupid because there's only 3 or 4 ships that start with no shields and he'll still make appearances in Sectors 2 and 3 (with an even bigger beam drone!)
assistancerobot
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 am

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby assistancerobot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:21 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Braxbro wrote:If we are, then the shieldless twin basic laser auto scout is the 'Retard'


I don't see how stupid it is.
You usually only start with 1 layer of shield and if it catches you early before you get two layers, then you're screwed aren't you? Sure it has no shields as well and probably in an asteroid field but come on, it was dodging rocks just fine until it went into combat.
Then again, it's probably a proper use of the word "retard" as it doesn't know any better. It was just born that way and slow on the uptake that maybe it shouldn't fight in an asteroid field.

The Beam Master is truly stupid because there's only 3 or 4 ships that start with no shields and he'll still make appearances in Sectors 2 and 3 (with an even bigger beam drone!)

the Beam Master has shields...
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:06 pm

assistancerobot wrote:the Beam Master has shields...


Yes but the Stealth Cruisers and the Zoltan B do not.
Hence why the Beam Master is an idiot. He's severely limiting his combat options by not having a single gun that can go through shields and it only gets worse in later sectors where he upgrades his Beam Drone to a Beam Drone II or adds a Halberd Beam to the mix (when you should have 2 layers already)
AceMan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby AceMan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:40 pm

rannl wrote:And another point - did you know that the mantis has a single blue option (regarding the mantis shup unlock acheivment) that does not effect the outcome of the event, and that the zoltan (and obviously human) have no blue options at all ?


Don't know if anyone else addressed this in the forum but I can think of at least one blue human option -- the scenario where you encounter the Mantis who believes he is human. You can send a Mantis or Human to talk with him, pretty sure he will fight your Mantis, but he'll join you if you send a Human crew member.
Treamayne
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby Treamayne » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:37 pm

AceMan wrote:
rannl wrote:And another point - did you know that the mantis has a single blue option (regarding the mantis shup unlock acheivment) that does not effect the outcome of the event, and that the zoltan (and obviously human) have no blue options at all ?


Don't know if anyone else addressed this in the forum but I can think of at least one blue human option -- the scenario where you encounter the Mantis who believes he is human. You can send a Mantis or Human to talk with him, pretty sure he will fight your Mantis, but he'll join you if you send a Human crew member.


I think the quoted post was before AE, and that event was new to the Advanced Edition. But good to put out there for new players.

Of note, Mantis Crew now have 4 blue option events (including the original one) and Zoltan crew have two Blue Event options. Humans only have the one event.
V/R

Treamayne
AceMan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby AceMan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:09 pm

Treamayne wrote:
AceMan wrote:
rannl wrote:And another point - did you know that the mantis has a single blue option (regarding the mantis shup unlock acheivment) that does not effect the outcome of the event, and that the zoltan (and obviously human) have no blue options at all ?


Don't know if anyone else addressed this in the forum but I can think of at least one blue human option -- the scenario where you encounter the Mantis who believes he is human. You can send a Mantis or Human to talk with him, pretty sure he will fight your Mantis, but he'll join you if you send a Human crew member.


I think the quoted post was before AE, and that event was new to the Advanced Edition. But good to put out there for new players.

Of note, Mantis Crew now have 4 blue option events (including the original one) and Zoltan crew have two Blue Event options. Humans only have the one event.


Thanks for pointing that out, outside of new weapons, ships, and systems, the line between vanilla and AE is blurry af for me.
assistancerobot
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:24 am

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby assistancerobot » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:49 pm

stylesrj wrote:
assistancerobot wrote:the Beam Master has shields...


Yes but the Stealth Cruisers and the Zoltan B do not.
Hence why the Beam Master is an idiot. He's severely limiting his combat options by not having a single gun that can go through shields and it only gets worse in later sectors where he upgrades his Beam Drone to a Beam Drone II or adds a Halberd Beam to the mix (when you should have 2 layers already)

The Zoltan B has a Zoltan Shield , but not a Shields System (not even one bar , let alone the two required for a layer)
FYI: I have not unlocked any of the stealth cruisers or Zoltan B (Cherenkov , I believe.)
Braxbro
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:58 pm
Location: The Pew-pew (Chain Vulcan gunship)

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby Braxbro » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 pm

stylesrj wrote:
Braxbro wrote:If we are, then the shieldless twin basic laser auto scout is the 'Retard'


I don't see how stupid it is.
You usually only start with 1 layer of shield and if it catches you early before you get two layers, then you're screwed aren't you? Sure it has no shields as well and probably in an asteroid field but come on, it was dodging rocks just fine until it went into combat.
Then again, it's probably a proper use of the word "retard" as it doesn't know any better. It was just born that way and slow on the uptake that maybe it shouldn't fight in an asteroid field.

The Beam Master is truly stupid because there's only 3 or 4 ships that start with no shields and he'll still make appearances in Sectors 2 and 3 (with an even bigger beam drone!)

Oh, and he'll also appear in 4,5,6,7, and 8. Sometimes with a Glaive. Or two. Not that I don't have 3 barriers by then.
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
AceMan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby AceMan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Oh man just spent a lot of time not working to read this whole thread, needless to say I have an FTL boner right now. I'm going to posit a few things I haven't seen explicitly stated:

1) Early Game -- not enough crew to man every station? Shield and engine crew members can start each jump positioned in senors and doors. This gives you immediate advantage vs boarders and give insights to enemy crew (your tactics might change if you see the enemy crew is 4 Engi compared to two Mantis'), once you've checked the enemy ship and there are no boarders to deal with, you can run the two from doors and sensors to shields and engines before the first shots are fired (usually).

2) Vented ship -- not always necessary, slightly dangerous (especially if doors or O2 gets damaged), but it has it's uses. Leaving parts of your ship vented can give a big edge against boarders and fire weapons, the amount of extra damage done to boarders who teleport into a vented room compared to a room that you try to vent as they wail on the door can be significant. Engi B ship with the one crew member can benefit from this strat, consider the repair drone that go repair in zero 02!

3) Med bay fight -- against a tough boarding party you can vent most of the ship outside of the med bay and areas beyond it. This will force the enemy to come fight you in your med bay.

4) Bad ass ship -- if you're coming into sector 8 like a boss, no need to go right to the flagship (I didn't recognize this at first), farm the area if you can, fight the flagship than farm again if you can while it retreats a turn, this is how you really pad those new top scores!
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby stylesrj » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:51 am

I'm not sure if this is anything game-breaking or not but I found something neat while modding beam colours.
If you quit the game while a coloured beam is currently buzzing across the enemy ship, upon reloading, the beam goes back to the default red. The beam will be coloured again on the next firing but it's just something I noticed.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests