FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Captain Trek

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.281b/Inf 1.28/EL 1.28

Postby Captain Trek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Okay, so here are my file's stats after having achieved a win with every ship starting from a clean CE install with a clean, brand new save file:

If you remove the ten attempts it took me to get a win with the Rock A, my win rate increases from 46.5% to 52.4% with 33 wins out of 63 attempts. There were also a few runs in there that were accidentally started because of my shitty trackpad and then immediately aborted, but whatev...

The rest of my scores:

6,421: Engi A
6,357: Engi B
6,230: Mantis C
6,218: Slug A
6,053: Stealth C
5,951: Lanius A
5,891: Rock C
5,853: Mantis B
5,806: Lanius B
5,785: Stealth A
5,767: Federation C
5,738: Crystal A
5,677: Kestral B
5,618: Stealth B (Maul)
5,615: Kestral A
5,600: Zoltan A
5,552: Federation A / Zoltan B
5,513: Mantis A
5,396: Kestral A
5,181: Federation B
5,087: Slug C
5,057: Zoltan C
4,988: Engi C
4,890: Crystal B
4,635: Slug A
4,525: Rock A
4,477: Lanius A
4,311: Stealth B (Naginata)

Note that my wins with the Rock A, Zoltan A, and Zoltan B are all post-rebalance. Of the ships that were rebalanced recently, I only had a pre-rebalance run with the Stealth B on this file.
Last edited by Captain Trek on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dagmark

Postby Dagmark » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:10 pm

So I found a few (presumably bugs) in Captain's Edition:
- A Suppressor (Cooldown x0.70/Targeting Radius +45) Light Gatling would not fire once it reached maxed charge level. I don't know why this happens but I'm guessing it is due to the game not being able to handle extremely rapid weapons
- A boarding drone did not display the correct name when hovered over. It said something like: "could not find de_boarder drone" or something like that.
- The Baton (or maybe it was Bo?) Beam didn't work at all. I could select its target like any other beam but it wouldn't visibly fire or do any damage at all to the enemy ships.
And also some balance suggestions:
- This sort of left over from the base game, but the burst laser tier of weapons are disproportionately rare. I suggest making the Burst Laser Mark II and III more common while increasing the cooldown on the Burst Laser Mark II.
- Auto Lasers suck. Like a lot. I understand that they're supposed to be like the anti-ship drones but they recharge too slowly to be more effective at support fire then, let's say, a Dual Laser II. Proof that they're bad? The Red-Tail. Firing two lasers every 5 seconds is great until you start meeting ships with two shield layers. I'd suggest reducing their recharges, maybe to 4 and 2.5, or perhaps making them adaptive so they slightly reduce in cooldown over time; like a less potent version of the Vulcan.
- Heavy Ion Mark I still sucks and is essentially a slower Ion blast. Reducing its cooldown to 12 seconds could make it chain with itself if you have a max level gunner.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Dagmark wrote:- The Baton (or maybe it was Bo?) Beam didn't work at all. I could select its target like any other beam but it wouldn't visibly fire or do any damage at all to the enemy ships.
And also some balance suggestions:
Anyone else noticed that? Cause I can't reproduce it. Might be EL related, I'll look into it some more

Dagmark wrote: Auto Lasers suck. Like a lot. I understand that they're supposed to be like the anti-ship drones but they recharge too slowly to be more effective at support fire then, let's say, a Dual Laser II. Proof that they're bad? The Red-Tail. Firing two lasers every 5 seconds is great until you start meeting ships with two shield layers. I'd suggest reducing their recharges, maybe to 4 and 2.5, or perhaps making them adaptive so they slightly reduce in cooldown over time; like a less potent version of the Vulcan.
They aren't designed to be super good. As opposed to combat drone they can be aimed and don't require drone parts. With skilled weapon crew they reach about the same suppression as drones, but yeah, that's still not as great as a volley. They are rarely worth a weapons slot, but there are builds that can make them work as effective alpha-strike weapons. Again, I'm Ok with them not being that good overall. Also I don't really see that the red tail needs a buff, since it is the ship with the most powerful economy buff in CE and already had a good layout.

Dagmark wrote:- This sort of left over from the base game, but the burst laser tier of weapons are disproportionately rare. I suggest making the Burst Laser Mark II and III more common while increasing the cooldown on the Burst Laser Mark II.
- Heavy Ion Mark I still sucks and is essentially a slower Ion blast. Reducing its cooldown to 12 seconds could make it chain with itself if you have a max level gunner.
The mod doesn't really concern itself with rebalancing vanilla gear, rather it builds its own gear and systems around what was there before. There are several vanilla rebalance mods out there though. You might wane use them alongside CE.

Captain Trek wrote:If you remove the ten attempts it took me to get a win with the Rock A, my win rate increases fro 46.5% to 52.4% with 33 wins for 66 attempts. There were also a few runs in there that were accidentally started and then immediately aborted because of my shitty trackpad, but whatev...
Ha I'll make sure to quote you the next time someone claims the mod is unbeatable. :D On that note I'd like to commemorate Dazeros stubborn efforts to beat the mod on hard while being completely new to it.
XRay88

Postby XRay88 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Hey, I have been trying to run EL on 32-bit Windows, but despite many tries I couldn't do it. While playing around with mods I discovered that EL worked just fine without the textures. I tried to play a bit, but not knowing what weapons enemy has was pretty hard.

While I don't know anything about programming and all this kind of stuff I got a question: is it possible to assign the same texture to all types of the same weapon, regardless of the suffixes, and would it lower the amount of RAM needed? Would you be able to do it easily?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:48 pm

While this is technically possible, it would require to maintain and update two additional versions of EL. I'd also have to maintaining a second prefix file in order to create those. So it's kind of a whole ton of busy work that I would have to go through initially and each time I'd update EL.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Are there any (really, not just tinted) new weapon graphics in EL? If not, all you should need would be to search/replace the prefixes for the weapons in the data files, then load without the texture pack. Does that sound fine?

It would probably be best to try and get it working first, just because it's 32bit doesn't necessarily mean it won't run.

The link in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15663&start=5700#p98311

Explains a lot of it.
XRay88

Postby XRay88 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:48 pm

I have already tried making FTLGame.exe large address aware, increasing pagefile and increasing java heap size, but everytime the process stops at 1841528 K usage.
meklozz

Postby meklozz » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:03 pm

I sent you a PM with some stuff, if someone else is interested you can use something capable of regex search/replace with these:

Code: Select all

<droneImage>(blue|dark|dirty|dirty_steel|gold|green|gritty|heavy_desat|high_tech_2|high_tech|ht_steel_bright|ht_steel|old|purple|red|rust|slight_desat|steel|yellow)_

_(blue|dark|dirty|dirty_steel|gold|green|gritty|heavy_desat|high_tech_2|high_tech|ht_steel_bright|ht_steel|old|purple|red|rust|slight_desat|steel|yellow)</image>

_(blue|dark|dirty|dirty_steel|gold|green|gritty|heavy_desat|high_tech_2|high_tech|ht_steel_bright|ht_steel|old|purple|red|rust|slight_desat|steel|yellow)</weaponArt>

to just the stuff in the <>'s. Relevant files are dlcblueprints and blueprints. That way anyone can do it for their up to date files, and it's enough of a bother that anyone should try to make it work properly first. Hope it's fine to post this, and hope I didn't miss anything important.
XRay88

Postby XRay88 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:21 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Thing you sent me is working perfectly, and there are no missing textures so far! I'm planning on finally improving my PC in about 6 months after ~8 years of using my current one, so hopefully I won't need to mess with these files myself nor use your modding services. :D
Lardlad62

Postby Lardlad62 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 pm

I can't get EL to work. There's a problem with the textures. Most of the weapons textures are blank or are mostly blank with a red particle-looking thing. I've deleted everything (mods, slipstream, and game) and reinstalled multiple times, but with the same result. I've loaded El and the EL texture pack in the correct order, and experimented with different orders. In one case I didn't load the texture pack at all, but nothing has worked. What am I doing wrong?