What is your favourite ship - and why?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Brian Shadowrider

Re: What is your favourite ship - and why?

Postby Brian Shadowrider » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:30 am

My favorite ship in the game would have to be THE SHRIKE. This ship clicked with me when I first played it. Double Lanius boarding in the oxygen is so fun to do. :twisted: The Lanius don't care that you need oxygen; they gobble that stuff up like it's Thanksgiving. Disable oxygen, shoot medbay with the 1 POWER ADVANCED FLAK GUN. Yes, this ship is a boarding ship AND a gunship. I had my best victory EVER with this ship. Lets just say that the FIRE BEAM IS THE BEST BOARDING WEAPON EVER! :twisted:

Other than the glorious Shrike, my other favorites are the Red-Tail; the 4 basic laz0r combo is beast in the beginning sectors. It's also very flexible, letting you build it however you want.

Another one would be the Cerenkov. Yes, I know it's not the best, I know that the beam drone sucks, and that relying on the Backup Battery sucks. Once you get passed that (and by get passed I mean get a good weapon and reactor upgrades) this ship opens up to be one of the best in my opinion.

My last favorite would be the Noether. This ship and I go WAY back. Ever since I first tried this ship, I loved it. It is SO FREAKING AWESOME. DUAL ION BLAST AND PIKE BEAM. THE NOETHER LAUGHS AT YOU FUTILE ATTEMPTS TO FIGHT BACK. But seriously, this ship is OVERPOWERED (Much like the glorious Shrike) if you know how to use it.

I know that was boring to read, but thank you if you read through all the way! :D
I will have my revenge, one day...
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Brian Shadowrider wrote:My favorite ship in the game would have to be THE SHRIKE. This ship clicked with me when I first played it. Double Lanius boarding in the oxygen is so fun to do. :twisted: The Lanius don't care that you need oxygen; they gobble that stuff up like it's Thanksgiving. Disable oxygen, shoot medbay with the 1 POWER ADVANCED FLAK GUN. Yes, this ship is a boarding ship AND a gunship. I had my best victory EVER with this ship. Lets just say that the FIRE BEAM IS THE BEST BOARDING WEAPON EVER! :twisted:

Other than the glorious Shrike, my other favorites are the Red-Tail; the 4 basic laz0r combo is beast in the beginning sectors. It's also very flexible, letting you build it however you want.

Another one would be the Cerenkov. Yes, I know it's not the best, I know that the beam drone sucks, and that relying on the Backup Battery sucks. Once you get passed that (and by get passed I mean get a good weapon and reactor upgrades) this ship opens up to be one of the best in my opinion.

My last favorite would be the Noether. This ship and I go WAY back. Ever since I first tried this ship, I loved it. It is SO FREAKING AWESOME. DUAL ION BLAST AND PIKE BEAM. THE NOETHER LAUGHS AT YOU FUTILE ATTEMPTS TO FIGHT BACK. But seriously, this ship is OVERPOWERED (Much like the glorious Shrike) if you know how to use it.

I know that was boring to read, but thank you if you read through all the way! :D

So with you on the Zoltan B. The 2-ion combo allows it to take down 1 shield per hit combo, with a charge time that can hit again before the ion effect shakes off, making it able to rip through 2 and 3 shields with its starting equipment. Quite nice.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
Some_Random_Noob

Postby Some_Random_Noob » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:01 am

1) Lanius B
It gets increased scrap rewards, 2 nice boarders, and the most power efficient weapon in the entire game (3 shots for 1 power = awesome). What's not to like about it?

2) Slug A
Not the best ship, but I love the bio beam. It's so much fun to zap enemy crew and watch them running around trying to reorganize the crew. Also, I won my first victory with Slug A and those slugs look so cute manning a station with their chubby little arms!

3) Rock B/C
Rock B is fun because it can just ignore their shields and wreck early ships easily. Sure, not having doors is a bummer but after you get them the ship is quite good.
Rock C is pretty good too, also having a shield piercing weapon and my favorite missile weapon. I would have won with it on my first try if the map didn't force me to jump through 10 Rebel fleet fights in a row,

I don't really like Crystal for some reason.
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:51 am

My third Rock B attempt I got Fire Suppression in Sector 1. That one augment turns this ship into a battle-hardened survivor.

Engi A, Red Tail, and Mantis B were all a lot of fun; it's hard to decide between Engi A and Red Tail for best ship. Engi A starts much closer to having missile defense and like the Kestrel A has a "starting weapon" that happens to be an end-game weapon; the Red Tail has a clean weapon upgrade path and no weaknesses.

The Mantis B is crippled against AI drones, but against crewed ships the sudden appearance of a swarm of killer bugs tends to finish things quickly. This ship was the most fun to play.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
YoshiGaming

Postby YoshiGaming » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Mine is probably the stealth A. Yes, it doesn't have shields and the cloak is only level one, but I tend to favour the use of high engine power over shields, and the room layout is pretty nice IMO. Also, the ship looks great. Definitely my favourite, and then it would have to be the Mantis B. Four man teleporter, breach bombs and missiles, a clone bay and some defense drones go a long way when it comes to ruining ships. Especially boarding with some Lanius to go with the breach bombs and missiles.
Braxbro

Postby Braxbro » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Aerowind wrote:
Iselia wrote:Am I the only one who really loves the Crystal Ship? o_o

I think it makes the early game super easy. Both starting weapons have shield piercing which is really nice until you start running into 3 shield ships. I always pick up a teleporter early because Crystalmen rock for boarding. It's like "Oh that's a nice medbay you have there. Too bad you're stuck in this room with me." Lockdown makes boarding so easy.

See, I'm not really the biggest fan of crystal weapons. True, it lets you completely troll through the early game, but late game they have the disadvantage of basically being beam weaponry that can be shot down by Defense I drone. On my first Crystal game, I found the teleporter to the Crystal Homeworld again and loaded up on Crystal weapons. The second phase of the boss tore me to pieces because the drones shot everything down.

Edit: Guess I should mention my favorite ship.

Honestly, I think I'm going to go with the Mantis B. It has some problems early on (Drones take forever and Zoltans you have to run from), but it'll wreck as soon as you find a weapon. Other than that, I'll say Kestrel B is quite fun. I always feel like an X-Wing when using it. I eventually upgraded it to use 4 heavy lasers to keep the same feel and...it didn't really work out. Turns out four powerful single shot lasers do nothing against shields.

I did that once. To mitigate the small arsenal, I got an epic boarding crew and hacking. Hack shields, board room, trash stuff, beam back up, pewpew, repeat
Kestrel A,B,C - Engi A,B,C - Stealth A - Zoltan A,B

Mantis board your teleporter. "They definitely can't just teleport us back onto our ship... these fleshy meatsacks are too dumb..."

"If we have AI, why not artificial stupidity?"
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I Still haven't the Ariolomax And the mantis ships, but here's my current list:

1. The Red-Tail
My lord. 4 shots perfectly synced for starting equipment?!? For people like me who hate complicated boarding and cloak strategies to fight with, this ship is AMAZING. It doesn't need any complication. 4 bars of weapons power to begin with make going for a simple, Too-Many-Lasers strategy easy.

2. The Noether
Yes, I love this ship. It still has shields (Unlike the stealth ships) But can't activate them for a while, but the Zoltan super-shield makes up for that early game. And 2 ion blasts and a pike beam?!? That layout can destroy even 3 shields alone. And a pike beam at the start? Get more ion weapons for a simple Too-Many-Ions strategy!
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
kestrelfan

Postby kestrelfan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:25 am

fed c beacuse i really love op suicide boarding ships : )
Dont Call it a comeback, I've been here for years

I just surf the forums for new mods and nostalgia at this point, that's about it
vdweller

Postby vdweller » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:17 pm

I have seen the Kestrel being destroyed so many times that it will always have a special spot in my heart :D