[SHIP][AE] Obsidian Bomber: The Paragonyx [v03.2]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gencool

[SHIP][AE] Obsidian Bomber: The Paragonyx [v03.2]

Postby Gencool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Image Image

ImageImageImage
                                                                                              --Current version: v003.2--

The Paragonyx is an Obsidian Bomber class ship.

The ship's characteristic, rare crystals not only power its unique weaponry, but provide complete protection from standard combat damage.

However, the crystals also prevent shields from being generated around the hull.
This isn't much of an issue for standard combat, but secondary effects such as Ion and Fire damage can be an issue if left unchecked.

Larger, Environmental hazards can also pose a threat, with Suns, ASBs and certain still events being able to deal damage.

The crew are also put at some risk as a result, so only the most hardened crystals sign up for the job.

At least two Crystal crew are required to use Exit Beacon jumps, so be careful not to loose one!

------

Gameplay/Usage Notes:

Load with the latest Slipstream. Replaces Kestral.

Can be used with other gameplay tweaks - Place this mod last in load order at all times.

Many changes are universal, so avoid using other ships with this mod installed.

Zoltans can add power to the second artillery system (especially useful should it become deactivated)

You only have one customisable system slot, so choose wisely.

Notable v003 changes:

The Artillery systems have been heavily changed.
> The Obsidian Beam's length has been doubled.
> The secondary system now generates a 'Static Shock' that takes much longer to charge but is much more powerful
> The rooms are stacked, meaning that damage/depowering to the sub-artillery is permanent until you find a system repair / zoltan
> This change has also freed up a room for Backup Battery, meaning it can now be purchased.

The Medbay is now a single-person room
> Upgrades cost 10-15 more scrap than usual
> The Medbay has 2 extra upgrade slots - both of these actually speed up healing although the stats displayed incorrectly

Hull damaging events have been tweaked
> Low-damage events now deal no damage, but will breach/start fires in random rooms
> Heavy-damage events will still cost you hull, but in much lower numbers

You need two Crystal Crew members to use the exit beacon
> If you only have one, or none, you will gain new ones, but will be punished

Other:
> Finding a sun recharges your hull in the name of balance. This may be removed based on playtesting.
> Cloaking's upgrade costs have been sharply increased
> Finding Shields in stores gives you +10 scrap to make them less annoying
> Some minor UI tweaks to help inform players of the ship's limitations
> Fire suppression has been reduced to a x0.25 boost. Still useful, but not over-powered

------

SO, I broke, OK?

I MADE A NEW SHIP.

It's my usual concept-driven fare, so I don't know if it'll even survive through to see the flaghip, but that's not the point.
The point is that, hopefully, some of you will enjoy giving it a go.

With thanks to Sul for the initial inspiration (the reminder that Titanium casing can be set to 100%)

Let me know if you take it for a spin!

-Jon
Last edited by Gencool on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 25 times in total.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP][AE] Obsidian Bomber: The Paragonyx

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:02 pm

So I take it that Rock Ships have their plating stripped out and to not play this in Captain's Edition under any circumstance? Or is the fact that Rock ships become a real pain to destroy a feature?

Hmmm, I should combine this with sul's mod to make fires start more often for a real challenge.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Oh wow. Wow. You sir, are a true FTL artist. I'll give this ship a spin and let you know what I think of it.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Styles:
Yeah, Rock Armour's been auto-wiped from enemy ships. Titanium casing, too, just encase it's used with CE or other mob mods.
(Originally I was also going to wipe damage-dealing from events, but that's such a hassle I kinda just decided to leave it be for now)

I... I strongly recommend you don't use the fire mod with this ship.

Although... if you do, I look forward to the youtube vid.

elijahdb:
Thankyou so much!

I mean, it's just a re-colour of the Crystal Bomber, but I did still put a fair bit of effort in so i'l accept the compliment!

Look forward to hearing your opinion, and gratz on finding the Preview post (though you deleted your comment as I was replying, and the whole thing was a mess...)
Last edited by Gencool on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImageImage
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Gencool wrote:(though you deleted your comment as I was reply, and the whole thing was a mess...)

Oh... *facepalm* sorry about that.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Gencool wrote:
I... I strongly recommend you don't use the fire mod with this ship.

Although... if you do, I look forward to the youtube vid.]

Because risk of fire is bad enough already without shields?
Yeah I might get a video done this weekend. I'm approaching 100% exploration of Mira in Xenoblade X and after that, there really isn't anything else left to do except go back to PC gaming.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Alright, I gave it a quick whirl in the first sector and I see ups and downs to it.

It's going to need shields. I wouldn't be surprised if a really good FTL player could make it to sector eight, but against the flagship it would be pummeled.
I would suggest you buy the shields, but then when you get them they only have one system upgrade and are weak so the player puts even more scrap into it.
Or just make the shield cost more expensive. And to top that with it, make it only able to have two and a half (half is buffer bar) layers of shields.
Whatever floats your boat. (or flies your ship, I couldn't resist that.)

More hull. It's going to need more hull, I'd up it to twenty, or a cool idea would be an advanced hull repair drone with zero power or something along those lines.

I love the weapons. They're great, only one problem with the artillery. When I was playing one breach beam charged faster than the other. Just a heads up for you.

The hull... I could stare at it forever. It's really, really good. Do you take art requests?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:42 pm

Dual artillery systems... oh great. How did I not notice that in the OP?
Have the bugs with those been mentioned enough? You can't upgrade Artillery with them, if you restart the game without going to the hangar, you lose one of them... the second gun doesn't show up in the upgrades menu but counts as a system, so you might have 1 slot left in the list of systems to be purchased but it'll say you're full, etc.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 pm

elijahdb:

Sorry; the shieldlessness and low hull are kind of part of the package.

See, there's only three ways this ship can take damage; through Fire, Boarders, and Event Damage (at least, until I dedicate a few hours to removing event damage, which will probably be sooner than later)

Fires and boarders deal 1 hull damage when they fully destroy a system. In the early game, when all your systems are at level 1-3, this can be done very easily.
However, later on in the game - when you've got your systems fully leveled, have a full crew and have bought doors - this is going to be much less of an issue.

Add shields to that, however, and you'll be an absolute tank. I suppose I could make level 2 shields prohibitively expensive, but I'm kind of attached to the layout of the ship as is (it's based on the other crystal ships)

15 is pretty low, though, I agree. It's just the easiest number to work with asset wise.
If people have a lot of problem with it, I might bolster it to 20, but I've never been one to make 'easy' mods.

I would love to take art requests, but I tend not to. I work in an art job 9-6 every day, and I've been known to burn out by just never stopping working.
When I do stuff like this, I try to keep it personal, so that I don't feel pressured to over exert myself.

The two beams do fire at different rates. I was going to make it two different beams, but couldn't think of any stats to change, and din't want to make a fourth weapon sprite if I could avoid it...

Which leads me neatly on to:

Styles:

Yes - twin artillery systems are a nightmare.

I'm actually mostly using the second one to steal a slot from the player; I don't have room in the layout to allow the player more than one choice of system, and it helps fit into the idea that it's a smaller class of ship.
(I was considering just making the second weapon blank, but I figured people would feel cheated somehow.

You can't upgrade them, no, but that's why both start at level 3.
Which coincidentally is why they're weaker than an average artillery system.

If the secondary one gets permanently de-powered... The player will just get 3 extra power for free until they find a Zoltan to fix the problem.

I mean, I am an idiot, but like... a guided idiot.
ImageImageImage
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:35 pm

Brilliant and beautiful as usual I see, loving the idea. Like a distant cousin of Kieve's Obsidian Cruiser. You have a tendency to do things that the game doesn't really like though, don't you?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage