[MOD][WIP] The Federation Fleet

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Fergulous

Re: [MOD][WIP] The Federation Fleet

Postby Fergulous » Thu May 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Development Update 2

This Development Update is about the recent history of the Federation, the causes for the Civil War, and the internal affairs of the Rebels, or as they have termed themselves, "The Galactic Republic".

So, 11 years before the Federation Civil War began, the Federation-Mantis war began. It raged on for 6 years until the Prime Minister Víctor Barrientos, born in what is today Bolivia, signed a treaty with the Mantis clans that had been attacking the Federation. The Mantis only accepted defeat after they lost a major battle in a large asteroid field causing many of their ships to be destroyed. Most of these Mantis Clans were conquered by others due to their weakness, but the few remaining were in no position to fight the Federation. However, some people were angry with the government for making the attacking Mantis Clans surrender instead of having them destroyed. The Prime Minister grew increasingly unpopular, and 3 years before the war began, he was replaced by Prime Minister Jon Davis, from what is today Wales. Jon Davis was, however, much less popular among those against the Mantis-Federation treaty as he was extremely friendly to aliens. His ship was blown up by the newly-formed Rebels when he was returning from the Rock Homeworlds where he signed various treaties and non-aggression pacts. This was before the war officially started, and the rebels were little more than a small terrorist organization. Afterwards Prime Minister Yuri Pavlekovich, from what is now Russia, was voted into office. The Rebels were outraged as Yuri was as friendly to the aliens as the previous prime ministers, and then the war officially began when the Rebels destroyed a large space station orbiting a major Federation colony. Thus begun the Federation Civil War, Prime Minister Yuri quickly declared a state of emergency and the Parliament mobilized the fleet.

Now, onto Rebel internal politics, which are not quite close in any way to Federation internal politics. The Rebels, as I have said in the previous Development Update, are ruled by a President who is essentially a dictator as he can appoint who votes for him. The rebel government has a massive amount of corruption and flaws. Colonies have Ministers, which are chosen by vote, but only politicians of the main Rebel political party can actually run for political offices. Taxes are very high due to the Rebel fleet needing a lot of money to operate. The government has set up countless checkpoints, search stations, and patrols to root out crime, federation collaborators, and people who are selling illegal goods, many of which end up being confiscated by the Rebels and used in the fleet.
Fergulous

Postby Fergulous » Sat May 23, 2015 12:07 am

Development Update 3

So, this is going to be a shorter development update, but it will still point out a lot of things about the new lore. The topic is Civilians.

So, civilians are obviously citizens of the Federation or the "Republic" that are not part of either sides army. When tensions grew before the Federation Civil War, certain planets and administrative zones began to create their own "militias" of Civilian ships. Civilian ships are almost all colored with this color scheme:

Civilian ships are typically not well armed and are used as transport ships, science ships, mining ships, freighters, and some are space buses so-to-say. The Civilian Militias were formed by planets and colonies when the war began, and many are pro-Federation. The need for these militias was created when the Federation fleet was stretched too thin to defend all of its colonies and planets, so when the state of emergency was declared, civilian fleets were mobilized by most planets in the Federation.
Fergulous

Postby Fergulous » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:13 am

Update!

So, I have made a few more ships and added them to the mod. I've also balanced, edited, and changed a few ships. A few no rebel ships have been added, but no new models for the ships. As per last update, the mod is still in a semi-theoretical state.
Fergulous

Postby Fergulous » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Sorry for inactivity, I've just had things going on and lack of interest caused development of this mod to slow. I assure you, that was only temporary and this mod will get back on it's theoretical feet soon.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:55 am

I believe these slight modifications to your ship sprites might be in your interests:

Now with 50% less pink blur on engines, 25% better shading, and 10% more properly-placed pink blur.

Fergulous

Postby Fergulous » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:23 pm

steamtex wrote:I believe these slight modifications to your ship sprites might be in your interests:

Now with 50% less pink blur on engines, 25% better shading, and 10% more properly-placed pink blur.

Thanks! Sorry mod production has been stagnating, I'll try to get back on it. I just need some help as I can only make really basic events and ships.