Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
R4V3-0N

Re: Did you know? List little tips and tricks here!

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:09 am

not dying? o-o

I personally never succeded in a full scale invasion onto the rebel flagship and the only time I ever eliminate most of hte crew is on stage 3 only because they come to me in pairs and not having me to fight 8 or so of them at once with there doors and there med bay that's level 3 ...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:26 am

R4V3-0N wrote:not dying? o-o

I personally never succeded in a full scale invasion onto the rebel flagship and the only time I ever eliminate most of hte crew is on stage 3 only because they come to me in pairs and not having me to fight 8 or so of them at once with there doors and there med bay that's level 3 ...

Go with the Abduction Strategy. Send them to your ship and vent out the O2 room. The enemy always goes there if they can't find a station.

You can do that in Phase 1 when there are no Power Surges to annoy you.
Fireclaw27

Postby Fireclaw27 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:30 pm

If you start with a crystal crewmember, consider renaming them to "Ruwen", as it makes the entrance to the secret sector a quest, thereby increasing your chances of going there.
This can also be used with Rock C to unlock the Crystal A, without having to complete the first part of the quest.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Fireclaw27 wrote:If you start with a crystal crewmember, consider renaming them to "Ruwen", as it makes the entrance to the secret sector a quest, thereby increasing your chances of going there.
This can also be used with Rock C to unlock the Crystal A, without having to complete the first part of the quest.

You know, I keep forgetting to do that in my FTL runs whenever I start with a Crystal on my ships and I see a Rock Homeworlds up ahead. :lol:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 am

Did you know that if a beam weapon does 2x damage to empty rooms it does not mean it'll do damage to shielded ships.

Let's say you have an enemy ship at one shield layer. A Hull Beam does 1 damage per room, 2x per empty room. So you'd think if you fired it at the empty room, the beam does 1 damage. Nope. The beam doesn't go through.
Swapbox

Postby Swapbox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:40 pm

Did you know that if this is your ship

------
------------\
------------/B
-----H

(bad kestrel cruiser)

and the H=heavy laser
B=burst laser

And you position burst lasers infront and the Heavy lasers towards the back, the burst lasers will take out the shields, allowing for the heavy lasers to actually hit the ship (assuming the ship has less than 4 shields and no shots miss, and the shields dont come back on before the heavy laser reaches the ship)

This is because the burst lasers are more ahead of the heavy laser

Or you can just fire separately ._.
"There once was a man from peru..."
~ Dream garry
dyno101

Postby dyno101 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:44 pm

rannl wrote:Did not see any mention of this one, so here goes :

Did you know that the heavy laser does 2 damage to the zoltan shields ?

And another point - did you know that the mantis has a single blue option (regarding the mantis shup unlock acheivment) that does not effect the outcome of the event, and that the zoltan (and obviously human) have no blue options at all ?

Actually, in AE, there is a human crew blue option.
Some mantis is aggressive and thinks he's a human. Use that blue option for your handy human and presto, nothing can go wrong.
"There isn't good or bad. There's just insane."
"Blamsauce!"
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:27 am

Edit: Carefully reading the thread I've discovered TWO(!) tips no one else has mentioned:

1. Shield Drone counters cloak. That shield drone will keep layering on ZS overcharges up to 5 if the enemy gives it time. Cloakers are all about giving you time.

2. It's a lot easier to asphyxiate boarders if they have to cut through multiple bulkhead doors before they get to any air. But the O2 system automatically refills sealed rooms ... unless you turn it off, then you can seal up all the doors and watch those hapless boarders try to peel the onion. Good times.

Mister Sammy wrote:Auto-ships cannot repair hull breaches, and because a breached room cannot be repaired, hull breaches are their greatest weakness.

Holy mackerel! I wish I'd known that sooner.

I suppose "Alien Abduction" belongs here for completeness (I put it in its own thread before reading this): mind control an enemy then transport him onto your ship. When MC wears off hilarity ensues. If you have a hull breach in need of repair it ensues even sooner. "Nice craftsmanship. Thanks, buddy!"

Edit: It looks like many others discovered the Alien Abduction tactic long before I did. "Yeah, but did you link the relevant South Park episode?" Now I just sound desperate ...
Last edited by Obz3hL33t on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
Obz3hL33t

Postby Obz3hL33t » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:30 am

R4V3-0N wrote:I personally never succeded in a full scale invasion onto the rebel flagship and the only time I ever eliminate most of hte crew is on stage 3 only because they come to me in pairs and not having me to fight 8 or so of them at once with there doors and there med bay that's level 3 ...

Safety tip: don't burn the crew out of the main deck of the mothership with fire if you can't destroy the mothership hull before the O2 burns. By now we all know what happens when that last guy manning the laser gun snuffs it ... gotta keep that fella breathing.
When you've been l33t for as long as me, there's only one kind of l33t you could possibly be ...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm not sure if this works but... let's say you have a missile heading towards your ship, but what's that? Your cloaking isn't fully charged yet? What will you do!?

Projectiles, when fired at your ship become hits or misses just as it impacts with your shield bubble. So what you do is you depower your shields completely before the missile/protectiles hit the bubble. Now you might have that extra second you need to cloak out of the way when normally that missile would have passed the threshold if they had been up.

It could have been a trick of the eyes, but it might just work.