Previews from the impatient

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
WhiteWeasel

Re: Previews from the impatient

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:57 am

Yizzzy wrote:I know that ship is from Ring Runner, but it looks based on the Swordfish II from cowboy bebop. Is that so? Your design looks awesome though, I was always a fan of the Swordfish II.

If I can give some advice or warning rather from what I learned/am learning while making ships. Be careful making ships with large wings unless you're prepared to make a custom shield that is fairly large. Most of the shields in game aren't too friendly with large side wings.

Good luck, making ships is really fun. :)

Ring runner makes plenty of references to famous sci-fi works, I even saw a spaceballs reference in there. Hell even the tool tip is a starfox shout out:

WARNING: Do not enter this ship if you think a barrel roll is a baked good.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 am

Also is there any tutorials showing you how to make a cloak images for your ship? (using GIMP)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 am

WhiteWeasel wrote:Also is there any tutorials showing you how to make a cloak images for your ship? (using GIMP)

There was one several pages earlier that could be linked to on how to make one, but I think there needs to be a refresher or something. Or a link.

It had something to do with turning the ship black and white, something about a laplace and turning the outline blue, removing the white bits, enhancing the outline and calling it a cloak image.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:16 am

stylesrj wrote:
WhiteWeasel wrote:Also is there any tutorials showing you how to make a cloak images for your ship? (using GIMP)

There was one several pages earlier that could be linked to on how to make one, but I think there needs to be a refresher or something. Or a link.

It had something to do with turning the ship black and white, something about a laplace and turning the outline blue, removing the white bits, enhancing the outline and calling it a cloak image.

I'd love to have that link. ;)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17442&start=330

Scroll down a bit or look for the words "cloak" until you find it.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:47 am

My PPC (standard) gif animation- first gif I've made. I had to add the black background due to the fact gifts got no semi transparency =l
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
DinosaurDino

Postby DinosaurDino » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:05 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Image

My PPC (standard) gif animation- first gif I've made. I had to add the black background due to the fact gifts got no semi transparency =l

Looks deadly as all Hell. Can't wait to use it.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17135&start=10#p89632

Cloaking tutorial.

The laplace method is my own, but TaxiService's method is better. I think steamtex had his way of making cloak images too, but I don't remember exactly what it was.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:38 pm

NarnKar wrote:

http://ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... =10#p89632

Cloaking tutorial.

The laplace method is my own, but TaxiService's method is better. I think steamtex had his way of making cloak images too, but I don't remember exactly what it was.

Thank you so much!
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:08 am

Done with the flat colors, before I do the shading, & glows, I think the top circle piece is a bit bland, but I don't know what to put there.