[Alpha] FTL Achievement Helper

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
ev1l0rd

[Alpha] FTL Achievement Helper

Postby ev1l0rd » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:23 pm

So a while ago I got a bit annoyed at something: My save data kept getting corrupt. This is usually fixable, simply by removing your existing save and restarting the game. The disadvantage would however be that I would lose all my save data.

Now I can hear you already say that I can use FTL Profile Editor to restore my save. But I personally don't like FTL Profile Editor all that much. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of it is the fact that it requires you to boot up the game at least once before you can edit your save files. That isn't a problem for most, however some people have a low end pc, so it takes a while to boot up FTL. So I wanted an alternative. Something that could help me restore my achievements, without using FTL Profile Editor. So I present to you:

FTL Achievement helper
This is a mod that can either help you unlock achievements or restore them. It adds an event to START_BEACON that helps you to unlock any achievement you would like. Currently the mod itself is in its Alpha stage, with me only having the Kestrel Achievements and Going the distance included in the mod.

Download
The latest release is version 0.1.0. Download it here: http://dropproxy.com/f/BB2
The current code can be found on github here: https://github.com/ev1l0rd/ftl-achievement-helper/.
The latest code requires kartoflane's Universal Starting Beacon mod to work.

Bugs/Issues
  • The Tough Little ship achievement ship won't load properly. It currently defaults to the Rebel Rigger.

What's left?

• See the issues page on the github repository for the achievements I've yet to implement.
Last edited by ev1l0rd on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R4V3-0N

Re: [Alpha] FTL Achievement Helper

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:51 pm

sounds interesting and it did sound like something I needed awhile ago- so hopefully this helps a few people out there.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:21 pm

>Making this mod compatible with Universal Starting Beacon.
The following code should do that. Just replace your START_BEACON event definition and it will work! (prob'ly..!)

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="START_GAME_CHOICES">
   <mod-append:choice>
      <text>(Achievement Helper). Connect to the Achievement Helper.</text>
      <event load="ACHIEVEMENT_HELPER" />
   </mod-append:choice>
</mod:findName>

Anyway, a really interesting concept, dude! :D Now i feel stoopid for not using the universal starting beacon for MTE2 myself. : \ It's just that i haven't really seen it used very often, to be honest.
(mte does something similar but on reverse. It renames the original START_BEACON to something else, then replaces it with an event that gives you the chance to load the first one, whatever that was. MTE is meant to be loaded after everything else though.)
ImageImageImageImageImage
ev1l0rd

Postby ev1l0rd » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:33 pm

TaxiService wrote:>Making this mod compatible with Universal Starting Beacon.
The following code should do that. Just replace your START_BEACON event definition and it will work! (prob'ly..!)

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="START_GAME_CHOICES">
   <mod-append:choice>
      <text>(Achievement Helper). Connect to the Achievement Helper.</text>
      <event load="ACHIEVEMENT_HELPER" />
   </mod-append:choice>
</mod:findName>

Anyway, a really interesting concept, dude! :D Now i feel stoopid for not using the universal starting beacon for MTE2 myself. : \ It's just that i haven't really seen it used very often, to be honest.
(mte does something similar but on reverse. It renames the original START_BEACON to something else, then replaces it with an event that gives you the chance to load the first one, whatever that was. MTE is meant to be loaded after everything else though.)

I will be trying this out in a few hours. I'm currently downgrading from my Windows 10 install to Windows 7 because Windows 10 breaks my Steam games (including FTL).
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:10 pm

ROFL :lol: i don't mean to laugh at your misfortunes, I actually feel sorry for you. :( It's just that microsoft is so hilarious! I've watched an interview to an italian MS representative; you know why he said they didn't call it Windows 9? Because:
[the changes were so many from windows 8 that we had to skip a version number.]

...THIS IS COMEDY GOLD!!!! I actually cried from laughing (and sadness and anger) the first time i heard that!!!! :lol:

...Or maybe it's because they always alternate between a working OS and a crappy OS.
i.e.: XP was good, Vista was bad; 7 was good, 8 was bad.
Since the new OS didn't happen to work they couldn't name it Windows 9! It would've broken the pattern! That must be it!

I bet that if they manage make a new OS that doesn't completely suck phalluses, they'll call it Windows 9. You'll come back and read this post in a couple of years and be like "NO WAY TAXI ARE YOU JOHN TITOR????" and i'll be like "Yes. 8-)"

*sigh* maybe all this joking is just a coping mechanism to avoid crying. :| I seriously believe that microsoft hindered human technological advancement significantly. :(
I mean, look at its CEO. Why on earth is this dude in that position?!! And what is he so chipper about?! His OS is shit! Everything MS touches becomes shit!!!! Look at Skype or the Halo franchise!!! They're a fucking MESS!!!! They're like King Midas but with excrements instead of gold!

Sorry. I am really sorry for this rant. I wish you the best of luck in downgrading. Windows 7 is the best of their OSes.

DISCLAIMER: this post only reflects my own opinions and i don't mean to say that they're the only acceptable opinions and whatnot. If you disagree with me, that's great! If you want to flame me do it via PMs, since this post is already pretty off-topic. I should actually not post it but whatever.

PS: let me know if it works when you're able to. I copied some text here and there and pasted the result here, but i haven't really tested it. : \ It should work though.
ev1l0rd

Postby ev1l0rd » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Your code worked. Thank you.
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 pm

I was thinking... if you put START_BEACON instead of START_GAME_CHOICES it should work even with mods that don't use the universal starting beacon! (...assuming the mods out there use "START_BEACON" as the first event name.)

Maybe if you put two copies of that code with each event name it will work with and without the universal starting beacon..! o_o I'm not really sure, but I think that if one of those events is missing SMM will ignore the respective mod: commands.

...Needs more research! Anyway, you're welcome! ¦ )
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 am

TaxiService wrote:
Since the new OS didn't happen to work they couldn't name it Windows 9! It would've broken the pattern! That must be it!

The actual reason is because various old software had issues with compatibility. If a software detected that a Windows version started with a 9 -- for example, windows 95 and windows 98, it would run in compatibility mode.

So a operating system named Windows 9 would end up running a program in windows 95-98 mode.
ev1l0rd

Postby ev1l0rd » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:35 pm

I really hate to ask this, but I appear to have some issues regarding the ship tags.

I've tested my code with w3 and slipstream and I get no errors. The same thing goes for FTL error checker but the ships that are set to load for Tough Little Ship and the Engi achievements that are not Robotic Warfare don't load properly and reset to the default ships instead.

Could anyone help me? The github page has a prerelease version, that one contains the issues. Any help would be appreciated. :D
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:53 pm

I think i've read somewhere that ships could not be spawned on the first beacon of a game. This whole event happens on the first beacon, right? Try checking if loading this event from another beacon spawns the correct ships, maybe..!

also geez dude that code is madness!!! XD I mean, i had never seen XML like that! It's really interesting.