FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
kartoFlane

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.279/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 pm

@Pigbear
It won't finish, SMM has run out of memory while trying to patch in the mod, so just quit it. Check out the first post in this thread for troubleshooting for memory issues with SMM.
If it doesn't help, then it might mean that your PC just doesn't have enough memory to be able to run EL.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Pigbear

Postby Pigbear » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:51 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@Pigbear
It won't finish, SMM has run out of memory while trying to patch in the mod, so just quit it. Check out the first post in this thread for troubleshooting for memory issues with SMM.
If it doesn't help, then it might mean that your PC just doesn't have enough memory to be able to run EL.

OP doesn't actually tell you HOW to fix it, it just says that you can.
Edit: Managed to fix it using Launch4j
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:09 pm

Huh. I guess Sleeper removed that bit when he rewrote the post.
Download this batch script, put it in the same directory as SMM, then double-click it. It runs SMM with 2GB of heap space limit, which is the max available for 32-bit systems. Not sure if it will actually help though, in the past people have reported that attempting to fix this issue this way doesn't really solve it.

Edit: Managed to fix it using Launch4j

Oh, alright then. Although it's pretty weird that you've had this problem, seeing as you're apparently using a 64-bit system -- Java shouldn't be having issues with memory... Though IIRC the default for max heap space is something like 1/4 of the total RAM available, up to 1GB max.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:19 am

The main reason I used the gradient wasn't just for the shading but it was mainly for the simplistic wide spaces of emptiness that was very meh. And when recolouring the rebel ships I saw heavy use of gradients (and the lanius have A LOT MORE may I add- this is why I will never do a Lanius hull any time soon- it's to unique for me to freehand atm and it has to many gradients for me to splice things up like I want to)

I can lower the gradients a little bit but I guess a full way to fix the problem if I take hours of my time going across ALL versions of the vintage rebels and adding shading- which if I will do this I might as well create a better hull for the Kestrel as well as update the Slug ships to not be so asymmetrical. (trust me, select the outline and flip it, notice how it does not match at all).- going with this I would like to point to the Federations cruiser 'light side' and the rebels- they also got the gradient effect making things not quite even.- also the website you linked with there method of shading isn't quite FTL's style- however I am well aware there are other shading methods in FTL because it's kinda obvious as they are on the ship hulls I've done ^^; It doesn't surprise me that you did research with this- I've seen you've watched many videos and sites on these topics on game creation such as Extra Credits.(and I say keep it up! )

The normal vintage rebels looked fine due to the orange stripes- but the "black and red" pirates look much more bland- even after me adding black outlines of where the stripes are there wasn't much I can do... I even attempted adding more cool pirate markings but it didn't work.

I will reduce the gradients- however adding the additional shading may be a bit problematic as once upon a time I tried doing so before- it didn't quite work out due to the... 'unique' shapes on the craft.

I also learned once upon a time that gradients, I always admired the more simpler styles of doing things (meanwhile I overcomplicate with the simple stuff with other things...), however that 'Plastic' look is slightly what I think the rebel riggers would go. But either way, here it is with a reduce gradient.

Here it is with 50% reduction. Doesn't look like plaster like it did without gradient but not like plastic either.
Top row is without change, Second row is with change.

ImageImage
Image Image

Edit: it is a bit subtle even when side by side but it is a difference. (50% difference I should add)

Edit 2: finishing the final touches on the gibs on the remaining "type B human pirate" hulls- besides the 2 vintage pirates where I do not quite have a response on how the hull should be yet.
I also didn't do any gibs for the "purple + black" pirates due to lack of knowledge on them but it should be a quick job for anyone to do. (I am a bit edgy to start on the Zoltan C/ Mantis C's instead of continue with the pirates- it has been fun and all! but these are some guys that was long due.)

I also want to clearify that I am not doing this because I feel like I have a responsibility to. I am not doing this because I want to suck up to anyone or simply because I want to force CE to be a big part of "my" work and try to look cool amongst my friends and others. That is not what I am doing. I am mainly doing this because I will eventually need these hulls for my overhaul mod and that these are just recolours and I feel that EVERYONE should be allowed to use these type B, C's, D's, E's, what ever you call the non-trio. 'But Raven there has to be more to it! I mean you also donated non vanilla ships such as federation artillery frigate, federation defender, mantis mine layer, and also you are planning on giving in a new slug ship as well as possibly thinking about making more ships for other races for possible CE use! There has to be more to it or did I miss something?" Well you got half of it right. The other thing why I love contributing to this mod specifically because me and sleeper, we may be on different parts of the world, we may speak different languages natively, we may not talk that very often and so on. But we do both like FTL, we both like the vanilla game and it's 'lore' and such. And this mod is amazing in my eyes and if I can help it inch it's way to be 'better' then that is great by me.
I am not doing this for the things I said for the opening sentence (won't repeat myself). It is mainly a labour of love to you guys and stuff. I do not need to do it. But I want to do it. Making these hulls gives me something productive in boring day to day routine and it brings other people joy and happiness.
Last edited by R4V3-0N on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:48 am

On the side note: I just had a "talk to your crew" event with the slug that says there is a stow away on the ship: It says "your" instead of you on the sentence: "your reconfigure the sensors and have your crew surround the intruder", it should be a you at the start.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Hey R4V3-0N please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work and I think it looks great compared to the old vanilla Rebel variants. I did not want to say that you "should do more". If I did sound like that then I'm sorry. :| I'm very much aware that you aren't obligated to contribute to CE (no one is) and I think it's great that you let us use all those ships you made. I mainly wanted to give my opinion on why the old Rebel ships look flat and what distinguishes them from the new ones.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:40 pm

no worries!

and if I seemed annoyed on your outcome I wasn't! Was just saying why I did it- my sources- and also sharing my thought process as a thought process (to me) and in general most processes rather that be design or execution of the idea is important to me and I assumed that it could be important to you to know as well and possibly me, you, or both learn from it. in my mind I thought it does still match the vanilla art style and such and I am also aware that gradient doesn't always equal good, professional, better, etc.
Wasn't trying to say "you are demanding me to much and this was just for love!", or "I feel obligated to do work how I should think it should be!". It was kind of a not-related sentence summing up nearly everything I've done on the forum in a positive way and if I looked like I meant it in a negative way then I do deeply apologies for that ^^
If my last few edits confused you in short I simply said these are just labours of love with my choice and not me trying to be selfish or try to be in the spotlight.

Back on topic- I am just finishing up the gibs for the Federation Scout Red/ Black skin and will PM you the imgur gallery for it- in case you did not know (just to make life easier)

And I do deeply apologies if it seemed like I was ranting. It was me simply trying to get closer to the end result that would be for the best overall.

Anyway opinions on the revised Pirate Vintages?

Also I discovered about the Rebel Vintage Elite colour scheme earlier and it looks kinda cool- I wondered if it is possible to have that in CE as well- note I know it would not match to well as you want it to be just vintage old ships that are no longer the main forces but I kinda thought maybe the vintage elite could be a old veteran from back in those days who would prefer his beloved highly attached ship over the newer models. Could be an event in the rebel stronghold or something.

Screenshot form a lets play way back then-. It looks kinda cool. After you tell me if I should do the elite as well as your opinions on the 'improved' rebel vintage pirate black+reds I will do the final touches and give you all those hulls tomorrow and I will start on the mantis/ zoltan ships. (would the standard pirate skin for those also be needed on those or?... I do not think the pirate skin would be to fitting on the zoltan C... the zoltan C does use quite a bit of gradients on the outlines and the standard or red pirate pattern in my mind doesn't look good on it... mantis ships well we'll have to wait and see for those...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:55 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Anyway opinions on the revised Pirate Vintages?
The look bad-ass, I'd definitely take them in.

R4V3-0N wrote:Also I discovered about the Rebel Vintage Elite colour scheme earlier and it looks kinda cool- I wondered if it is possible to have that in CE as well- note I know it would not match to well as you want it to be just vintage old ships that are no longer the main forces but I kinda thought maybe the vintage elite could be a old veteran from back in those days who would prefer his beloved highly attached ship over the newer models. Could be an event in the rebel stronghold or something.
I kept their color scheme close to the Federation scheme to imply that those where early ship models still produced as Federation ships, just quickly painted over with some yellow Rebel stripes. But I guess that might not be super obvious. I can imagine giving them the actual Rebel paint job (Yellow/Teal) as well. Just adding those to the Rebel stronghold would be a lot of code with little result though, I'm more interested in having universal hulls.
okumam

Postby okumam » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Two questions:

Is it possible to disable parts of the captain's edition? I would very much like to play with original weapons but all the rest of the changes. I understand it may not be possible, if for nothing else than other events/ships using these extended weapon set.

Also, for some weapons in shops, I see something like "ce_tip... not found" in the spot where an explanation of the weapon would appear (below it's name and description). Kind of like "chain weapons increase their damage as time goes on...". I must have done something wrong with the installation but it's such a straightforward process that I can't think of anything. I am using the "original ship layouts" mod after CE loads.

Thanks in advance- it will be much appreciated.
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:26 pm

okumam wrote:Also, for some weapons in shops, I see something like "ce_tip... not found" in the spot where an explanation of the weapon would appear (below it's name and description). Kind of like "chain weapons increase their damage as time goes on...". I must have done something wrong with the installation but it's such a straightforward process that I can't think of anything.

Two things to check: Your version of Slipstream Mod Manager and your version of Captain's Edition. If SMM is version 1.6 and CE is version 1.279, then those weapon tips should not be missing. If SMM is lower than 1.5, then it doesn't know how to patch the code that is used. If CE is some version of 1.278, then the code is likely missing.

okumam wrote:Is it possible to disable parts of the captain's edition? I would very much like to play with original weapons but all the rest of the changes. I understand it may not be possible, if for nothing else than other events/ships using these extended weapon set.

It should be possible, but it would require a lot (or maybe a little?) of effort to disable all of those CE weapons. Don't expect to see something like this anytime soon.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.