FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Svoi_Chelovek

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.279/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Svoi_Chelovek » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:33 am

R4V3-0N wrote:
Svoi_Chelovek wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:alright, you want it for windows or mac/linux?

it is for windows, kind sir

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pwhhuks64dba ... n.zip?dl=0

I will leave the download up for a week, tell me when you got it or if there is problems with the download.

Also this download is just a mirror, I do not take credit for Slipstream mod manager and hope Vhati doesn't mind.
Just mentioning that so no one pokes me for it.

okay, the game is running now, as well as Infinite Space mod, I owe you big time 8-)
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:01 am

No problem. Just me being a normal human being and doing my part by helping others.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:59 am

Shrooblord wrote:However, I have a bit of a remark about the use of grammar and spelling in the majority of added dialogues. I'd like to offer assistance. Could I get my hands on the language file assets for this game and tweak the grammar and spelling here and there? I think ironing out a few kinks here and there could boost the mods' reception just that little bit more. ;)
Thanks for the offer! There is a public github repository where you can correct CE's texts on your own digression.

TaxiService wrote:That'd be great! You already have them! A .ftl file is just a .zip with a renamed extension; if you rename it back to .zip you will be able to extract the content of an .ftl file.
By doing this you can open up captain's edition. (i don't know which one contains the events, but yeah)
Inside you will probably find a lot of folders, data is the one you want to look into. The events are usually stored inside files with the word "event" in the filename.
I would advise against this because I have no way of revision control if I just get sent changed xml files, plus this might overwrite changes I made to those files in the meantime. If anyone wants to help with spellchecking/grammer then they can do it through the public github repository here:

You can also contribute to the mod by lending a hand with spellchecking. We have a github repository for that.
Image.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 pm

TaxiService wrote:Keep in mind that return/line feed doesn't work in in-game text. (if you want to emulate a new line you have to put the exact number of spaces in it... and the font isn't even monospaced! >.<)
Ouch. Thanks for the heads-up.

EDIT
If newline characters don't exist, what are these \n for in misc.xml?

Code: Select all

<text name="defense_friendly">Your Level 1 Defense Drone: \nShoots down regular missiles, mines, and asteroids. Will function until destroyed or until you jump away.</text>

Anyway, I'll get to work then! NEVERMIND (SEE BELOW): I'll also take the liberty of adding some extra randomised event texts that events can pick from for variety's sake, if that proves simple enough to do and doesn't break balancing functionality (think encounter entry texts or those random "you have an existential crisis moment during combat" messages, but NOT things like 'talk to the crew' (as there are certain events that have a certain balanced chance of occuring and one does not intend to upset the balance of the universe by adding more random texts there)).
From reading the spellchecking gitHub collective's readme, I can see that adding texts to the database is actually pretty dangerous as it may crash the game if not done properly. Kay. Won't bother with that then, since I don't know how to avoid crashing the game (yet). :P
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:01 pm

Shrooblord wrote:From reading the spellchecking gitHub collective's readme, I can see that adding texts to the database is actually pretty dangerous as it may crash the game if not done properly. Kay. Won't bother with that then, since I don't know how to avoid crashing the game (yet). :P
It doesn't matter if you make the changes through github or simple xml editing, the risk of causing instability is always there but the github readme addresses how to mitigate it. In any case I won't integrate spell checking if it is submitted as raw xml files, so I'd suggest using the github repository. Revision control is there for the exact reason of mitigating instability risk, as It allows me to easily review the changes you make before integrating them.
knyx13

Postby knyx13 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:54 am

Extremely consistent crash/issue with Slipstream ships:
-Install FTL
-Open latest edition of Superluminal, change Mantis 2 ship (Basilisk) to add some more crew
-Save out the .FTL to Slipstream mods folder
-Close Superluminal
-Run SMM, select my ship and Captain's Edition
-Patch
-Run FTL, textures in most ships appear black upon selecting new game
-Scroll through list to find the Mantis 2 ship
-Crash
knyx13

Postby knyx13 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:33 pm

knyx13 wrote:Extremely consistent crash/issue with Slipstream ships:
-Install FTL
-Open latest edition of Superluminal, change Mantis 2 ship (Basilisk) to add some more crew
-Save out the .FTL to Slipstream mods folder
-Close Superluminal
-Run SMM, select my ship and Captain's Edition
-Patch
-Run FTL, textures in most ships appear black upon selecting new game
-Scroll through list to find the Mantis 2 ship
-Crash

Meant to say superluminal ships*
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:08 pm

If selecting the Mantis ship causes the crash than that mean there is something wrong with the mod that modifies it. This has nothing to do with CE though, so I can't really help you. Disable the mantis ship mod and CE should work.
knyx13

Postby knyx13 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Yeah that's true - in this case it's Superluminal ship editor so I'd imagine you guys would want them to work together, since both mods are extremely popular? My assumption is that this crash would occur even if I were editing something other the mantis ship, so if I wanted to add in a new ship to enhance the game then I'd still have problems.

I'd be happy to donate to your patreon if you wouldn't mind checking this out. I know it's probably annoying to deal with mod conflicts that aren't your problem but I really think having Superluminal and CE work together would make for a much better experience.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:53 pm

knyx13 wrote: so if I wanted to add in a new ship to enhance the game then I'd still have problems.
In general there are no problems with adding ship mods to CE. The problem most likely is related to that specific ship mod, specific changes you made or indeed related to Superluminal. I'm not the author of Superluminal and I have not the slightest idea of what really causes the problem, so again, I can't really help you there. Also donating to my Patreon does not entitle you to anything beyond Patreon rewards, which are symbolic to begin with. You can't buy support from me if that is what you are suggesting. :? Especially as I'm not really in the position to render any support here anyway. :roll: