[SHIP][AE] Federation Artillery Frigate (AE Update of Federation Light Artillery) v 2.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

[SHIP][AE] Federation Artillery Frigate (AE Update of Federation Light Artillery) v 2.0

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Hello and greetings.

This is simply an update of my first released mod back on Monday, the 14th of October, 2013. The mod was my first time doing a form of digital art and coding which is a huge leap for me back at the time as I am not the best at computers nor was I the best at digital art. However I have my good share of experience in the field of traditional art and I do have the creativity and knowledge to do something decent with my first mod... dispute this however, it wasn't the best mod out there. Considering the type B had the possibility to take out the Flagship with it's current weapons and drones from the start and the fact I used the straight removed ion and missile drones from the coding with the old place holder graphics instead of make my own or make my own weapons or drones it was pretty rough in those areas however in this update it is quite a bit more polished up.

The idea of the ship was to be a smaller ship essentially not even a 'player' ship with limited systems and rooms and also have an artillery weapon, to a degree- it was a hit and run artillery craft simply made to hang out around cruisers and deliver an extraordinarily large kick for a ship of it's size.

However in this update simply for the sake of not making it 'impossible' for the player to beat the game unless lucky or to be plagued with the hardwired UI bugs of having no weapon system, I decided to simply give these pair of ships a 1 system shield and weapon system each, which contrasts the original by not having the ability to either get weapons or shields at all throughout the game.

I tried to stick true to the original builds for these ships however I made some changes... for the type A, I changed the layout a little bit and also changed the artillery for 2 high velocity missiles dealing 3 damage each (in a way it's slightly better then the vindicator beam but has a chance to miss and be shot down. Even then it may be considered OP besides the fact it's on this ship...) and also gave it a weapon, a single auto cannon from by GO BALLISTIC! mod that can be found right here and also is required for this mod to work. It also has a autocannon defence drone III and autocannon anti ship drone III and these are the decent versions. (I made the autocannon defence have 3-4 different versions with different fire rate and speed and rarity). For the Type B I stripped away the 4 mini beams for 2 new beams known as the 'club', it's a very old out dated beam that only focus and hit 1 room dealing 1 damage. (similar to the auto focus beam in Captains edition but longer reload and cheaper), it also holds an Ion intruder drone and system repair drone instead of the ion anti ship drones and instead of the vindicator beam this has the artillery switched for a heavy hull laser burst. Firing 3 heavy laser shots doing 2 damage each which will deal double damage to a systemless room. However that's not all, I now also made the type C for this ship for the AE update which adorns a Machine gun mk II and Light Autocannon mk I both part of the GO BALLISTIC! mod version 1.2 or higher and also uses an anti ship ion stunner drone and a boarding drone (note: you can't use both at the same time, you need to upgrade your system), as for the artillery it simply uses a variant of the Gauss rifle mk III which is much more powerful.

Oh and last of all- the ships now have 15 hull instead of 20 hull. Original mod can be found here.

Type A:
Note: additional systems for purchase: [ Doors, Teleporter (2 man), Sensors.]

Type B:
Note: additional systems for purchase: [sensors, cloaking, teleporter (4 man), doors, backup battery.]

Type C:
Note: no available purchasable systems.

Imgur Gallery of the ship hull: http://imgur.com/a/DvyF4

Note: all ships can switch there med bay with a clone bay and vice versa
Compatibility: should be compatible with all mods. However you may require to look at GO BALLISTIC compatibility version and/or CE compatibility patch to make it work with mods that add/ change weapons (specificity in terms of enemy weapon lists) or captains edition.

This mod requires GO BALLISTIC! version 1.2 or higher to run.
Ion stunner drones and club beam do not require other mods
Sleeper service has used this ship hull in his mod FTL: Captains edition which can be found here here. The layout of the type B and C is after his interpretations of what it is, however granted: with such a small hull there isn't that much that can be done in terms of unique layouts excluding simple sysetm switching. Note: Sleepers redesign of the "artillery" weapon is used.
Federation Artillery Frigate (2.0) : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ptaj96pycm8aq ... 9.ftl?dl=0
GO BALLISTIC! [page]: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26840
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
FederationScumX1999

Re: [SHIP][AE] Federation Artillery Frigate (AE Update of Federation Light Artillery) v 2.0

Postby FederationScumX1999 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:22 pm

These look pretty good and follow a similar philosophy that I went by for the bombers and drone frigates, which were both specialized craft with predetermined system placements (though not quite as specialized as these frigates it would seem). Should be fun taking these out for a spin. :)
The future hinges on each of a thousand choices. Living is making choices! - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
R4V3-0N

Re: [SHIP][AE] Federation Artillery Frigate (AE Update of Federation Light Artillery) v 2.0

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23 am

Yep, it's quite good to finally get this thing updated. Right now I am not quite sure what to work on next so I am simply going to continue working on my weapon pack for energy weapons (lasers and beams).

I have to say it's kinda weird we both went for a "player-enemy esque" ship as our first mod... most people just tend to make odd cruisers that half the time is OP.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
FederationScumX1999

Postby FederationScumX1999 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:Yep, it's quite good to finally get this thing updated. Right now I am not quite sure what to work on next so I am simply going to continue working on my weapon pack for energy weapons (lasers and beams).

I have to say it's kinda weird we both went for a "player-enemy esque" ship as our first mod... most people just tend to make odd cruisers that half the time is OP.

Flying specialized craft, especially if they have a perk unique to their class, forces a specific play style for the entirety of gameplay. With the cruisers, all unique strategies eventually whittled away to make room for reliable system combos which, in most cases, leads to similar endgame builds. This does not mean that the ships become homogeneous, only that the ship caters to whatever play style you're most comfortable with usually.

With smaller ships like frigates (or dare I say, corvettes, like the scout ships), you have less interior space (if you want to keep things attractive and avoid clutter) and a weaker hull. Their capabilities may match a cruiser on some levels, but they are limited in others. Enemy ships encountered in-game often utilize the same systems which give a sense of what kind of functions they are supposed to have, thus they are attractive candidates to use for playable specialized craft.

An example is how my Lanius Bombers were only allowed to install Teleporting, Cloaking, and Mind Control for special systems. Aside from Oxygen (which was always left out initially), the ship's systems were perfectly reflective of what enemy Lanius Bombers could come equipped with. You're pretty much forced to utilize the odd mixture of systems that people would rarely, if ever, use on a cruiser. Again, also, the ships are less durable and the visual difference in size can be astounding when you're taking on the Flagship (or cruisers in CE). It's a more linear experience, but nonetheless memorable.
The future hinges on each of a thousand choices. Living is making choices! - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:08 am

So far no one complained "this type [x] doesn't work" or "it causes crashes in the hanger" or "this weapon isn't showing". for once.

Must be a good sign!
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:17 am

R4V3-0N wrote:So far no one complained "this type [x] doesn't work" or "it causes crashes in the hanger" or "this weapon isn't showing". for once.

Must be a good sign!

That might be a good sign but I haven't made a video run yet that has me complaining for an hour on why I'm not going to make it to the Flagship. :P
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:47 am

Looking forward for that video then... for more ways then 1. I didn't have a video on any of my videos since ginger dragon in 2013 and not many people comment on my mod to much. I feel lonely :cry:

But anyway, my upcoming ship mod will be a cruiser most likely... if not then it would probably be a special rebel rigger... Either way though I am making a weapon pack atm for lasers and beams (for more info check last post on the preview for the impatient thread)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:07 am

I mostly do FTL videos because they're the only ones that get more than 3 views :lol: (No really, I spent a lot of effort on that Minecraft finale and no one really saw it :cry:)

Basically I just take whatever sense of accomplishment I can find (hence why I spend most of my time these days on League of Legends. I've hardly encountered anyone who ridicules me for being bad at the game. Just avoid PVP for the love of Mayneth!)

And also I guess video runs are good at pointing out where the flaws in a mod may lie and to show off just how much the RNG can screw you over that it becomes a laughing matter (and here is where I run into an asteroid field without shields and get torn apart with a hull breach everywhere because I sold a repair drone.)
I could argue how mechanically speaking certain weapons and things are a bad idea or a good idea, or I could show them off and see first-hand if it was a good plan to give that beam an ion effect or if the chance of fire needs to be toned down.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:21 am

And now here's my video run where I take several attempts on Easy to try and make it somewhere.

http://youtu.be/YzhThk4RMUA

And make it nowhere :(
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:37 am

Code: Select all

As you realised to late, the type C had the ion stun drone. Also no worries about selling the stuff at the first store. Happy you got your burst laser II! (note: you missed the opportunity for the Autocannon mk 3... which unlike the other 2 is kinda useful) (ironically you said "I do not like weapon packs because less chance for burst laser mk II!) And despite your love for Burst Laser II... I got a ballistic weapon like it that charges like a vulcan until it 'kinda' gets nearly a full cycle of dakka. Also the later ballistic auto cannon defence drones are the best (in terms of vanilla.) at taking down missiles due to better fire rate then the [laser] defence drone 1 but do not prioritise silly lasers over missiles. Not useless- but why are you even complaining to begin with it (RNG) clogging up the stores right after your mini rant about hating drones? =P Anyway, I understand if these ships are not for you- I only ever went to sector 7 with them. The same way these ships play around with the GO BALLISTIC weapon pack, the next ship mod I will make most likely focus on energy weapons and It will not be a ridiculously hard ship like these. (unless my other project gets in front- then you will have a pretty nice cruiser to play with) Also I'll take that as a note: I will create a youtube user early access version of the mod which will give slight benefits and stuff for the youtuber promotion version- aka all I will do is PM you the mod early and decrease the rarity and cost of the burst laser II sneakily >.>

Code: Select all

Also forgot to mention on the first comment but the first set of fires to end your game- It was hillarious with your response. I seriously wonder why you do not have to much subscribers (probably due to no 720p but meh). I will start to look around your channel a bit ^^

my 3 comments for the video.

So yea, sorry about the hi skill cap.

The next ship will be easier to work with I promise =P
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.