FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Artamba

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.277b/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Artamba » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:To begin with the drone option was never meant to be very cost efficient. Again, I still don't see why drone systems would need this additional perk and why the player should be able to escape that easily when having combat drones equipped. Free escape is different from gaining a jump on empty beacons. I'm generally opposed to partly enabling empty beacon options after fights, cause this creates inconsistency.

Hey, brother! I find it pretty great that you understand why you implemented things one way or another, while resisting the usual 'I want MORE COOLNESS, and MORE POWER, AND MORE EASINESS!' suggestions who are made by people who don't take the time to think out why a mechanic they don't enjoy is that way. Like people asking to make it easy to get out of the shittiest situation you can get into (out of fuel facing a Tech Cruiser), for example. For the first time I am actually scared to the point of my pants flying off at the prospect of running out of fuel; I actually have to PLAN ahead or face actual(er) consequences!
You should have seen my face the first time I found myself at a beacon that didn't connect to the exit. Usually I can dive back under the oncomming tidal wave and make it out alive, but damn, I only NEARLY made it past the first guy! heh
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:17 am

Artamba wrote:Like people asking to make it easy to get out of the shittiest situation you can get into (out of fuel facing a Tech Cruiser), for example. For the first time I am actually scared to the point of my pants flying off at the prospect of running out of fuel; I actually have to PLAN ahead or face actual(er) consequences!

But that's the thing. I'm already scared of running out of fuel in CE. My main concern is when it happens in CE infinite.

Running out of fuel there can happen through no fault of your own. Since any event can occur (like... automated ships, followed by boarding parties then a Mantis raider who doesn't carry any fuel ever) in Deep Space and upgrades are expensive and stores are rare, even if you plan to jump to as many connecting beacons as possible (to scout out for a store) being out of fuel is easier than you think.

What could be done is that encounters with the Rebel fleet are toned down in intensity during CE Infinite. There's so much for the Rebels to grab and they can't spare all those cool cruisers to every frontier. Being caught by a light ship loaded with fuel would make a lot of sense lore-wise.

Regular CE can bring out the Tech Cruisers and stuff, because you're supposed to be legit afraid of running out of fuel there.

You should have seen my face the first time I found myself at a beacon that didn't connect to the exit. Usually I can dive back under the oncomming tidal wave and make it out alive, but damn, I only NEARLY made it past the first guy! heh

I once had an exit beacon halfway through a sector where the only connection was a single beacon at the very start. Being the foolish idiot I was, I didn't plan ahead and ignored that path completely to pursue a quest beacon in the rest of that sector. It was only after doubling back, I realised... I would be so deep in Rebel territory that I went "Might as well not play out the rest of this and restart. I'll be doing that anyway after I die slowly and painfully."
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:47 am

stylesrj wrote:lots of words

This is all too true. I haven't died to an enemy ship in CE Infinite even once. But I haven't won in CE Infinite, either, because I always run out of fuel before I can go anywhere.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:23 am

Just don't come up to the Flagship with only a Chain Vulcan though. You will not get past Phase 3.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:06 am

Artamba wrote:Hey, brother! I find it pretty great that you understand why you implemented things one way or another, while resisting the usual 'I want MORE COOLNESS, and MORE POWER, AND MORE EASINESS!' suggestions who are made by people who don't take the time to think out why a mechanic they don't enjoy is that way. Like people asking to make it easy to get out of the shittiest situation you can get into (out of fuel facing a Tech Cruiser), for example.

No need to be offensive towards others about it, just because an idea isn't immediately accepted and still being discussed doesn't make it a bad idea. And doesn't mean there wasn't any thought that went into it. Uploaded my first video of FTL with CE on 23 Oct 2013, and I'm not saying that to pull rank or anything, just that I've seen CE change over all this time and been playing it for just as long. The earliest version that I mention on that series is 1.069.
Sleeper Service wrote:To begin with the drone option was never meant to be very cost efficient. Again, I still don't see why drone systems would need this additional perk and why the player should be able to escape that easily when having combat drones equipped. Free escape is different from gaining a jump on empty beacons. I'm generally opposed to partly enabling empty beacon options after fights, cause this creates inconsistency. Right now the mod implies that you can only do empty beacon stuff at empty beacons because you have the time there, which is at least somewhat consistent. If you can delay the fleet with drones after a fight, why can't you lay minefields after each battle or chat to your crew? Of course the reason is that these options need to appear in controlled, quantifiable circumstances to be balanced against other options..

Phrasing it that way does shed a different light on things.
I don't really get why you'd see it as a free escape as you would still have to win a fight against a fleet ship in order to take the blue option to delay the fleet to begin with.
Besides, if you do it when you're out of fuel, you're probably going to get caught right after again anyway...
I've abandoned the idea of re-rolling fights against the fleet and single ship distraction.
I mean, you're allowed other blue options... cloaking, scrap rec arm (? and if so, yes, only a pittance is gained, which is good.).
Well, if you want it to stand out from the empty beacons option, you could increase the cost of it to say 5 drone parts.
And I suppose the same could be done for the mine layer... increase the cost to "frantically put up a mine field to help your escape".
Anyway you've convinced me though with the whole "in a controlled environment" thing.
Maybe I just wanted to add something so I could go "I did that. I made that happen." and that's why I kept going on about it. :D
You won't here me about this subject again. ;)
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
joulina11

Postby joulina11 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 am

Thank you! :D
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:55 am

stylesrj wrote:Running out of fuel there can happen through no fault of your own. Since any event can occur (like... automated ships, followed by boarding parties then a Mantis raider who doesn't carry any fuel ever) in Deep Space and upgrades are expensive and stores are rare, even if you plan to jump to as many connecting beacons as possible (to scout out for a store) being out of fuel is easier than you think.

I'm not so sure about that. There might be a chance that you just not take managing fuel seriously enough yet. Surrender offers alone provide ample ways alone to gain fuel in my opinion. If I look at other peoples infinite runs it does not seem to be such a big, unavoidable issue as you describe it.

Artamba wrote: I find it pretty great that you understand why you implemented things one way or another, while resisting the usual 'I want MORE COOLNESS, and MORE POWER, AND MORE EASINESS!' suggestions who are made by people who don't take the time to think out why a mechanic they don't enjoy is that way. Like people asking to make it easy to get out of the shittiest situation you can get into (out of fuel facing a Tech Cruiser), for example. For the first time I am actually scared to the point of my pants flying off at the prospect of running out of fuel; I actually have to PLAN ahead or face actual(er) consequences!

Thanks! I'll keep doing my best to keep the mod harsh but beatable. I know that this is ultimately appreciated. In my opinion this is what creates big part of the appeal of the for many people, even if they might not even be aware of it themselves. Beating CE is ultimately meaningful, because it is brutal and requires learning and adapting to many new things.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:20 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I'm not so sure about that. There might be a chance that you just not take managing fuel seriously enough yet. Surrender offers alone provide ample ways alone to gain fuel in my opinion. If I look at other peoples infinite runs it does not seem to be such a big, unavoidable issue as you describe it.

Oh right, I'm supposed to accept the enemy's surrender, instead of killing everyone onboard.

Yeah the events leading up to Death By Tech Cruiser happened a few months ago so it's pretty vague. But it did come as a nasty shock when I did run out of fuel... come to think of it, maybe I encountered a black hole 1-jump away from a Quest during my usual "Thread the Needle" strategy of just barely having enough time to hit the exit before the Fleet takes over.

By the way, those things are such BS! :lol:
Artamba

Postby Artamba » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:59 am

Sleeper Service wrote:
stylesrj wrote: snip-snap

Fantastic that you understand that. No compromises!

I've actually been wondering how I can edit the events' text myself. Is this something I can learn within a week (one can do very much with a bit of motivation!) and do on a Mac (No choice here, borrowing sister's Mac while I claim insurance on my main)? I'm confused with the writing style, as there are some very well written and well thought out event texts, and then there are other many inconsistent and grammatically wonky ones (as if they were written by a youngster, trying to fit the universe; or a non-native speaker!). There's quite a few typos as well, which are going to happen anyway, native or not- but I don't mind the reasons behind that, I just want to 'fix' them!

eh. If you were one of the writers, Sleeper, you may feel a bit insulted knowing that I may be referring to your writing, but I gotsta say that you've done a great job in way too many other areas to feel bad about anything much! :)
Tycho X

Postby Tycho X » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:09 am

Artamba wrote:
Sleeper Service wrote: Snap
stylesrj wrote: snip-snap

Stuff

I feel like I'm in the same position as Artamba. I would love to learn to write events for FTL as well as correct any typos I see. Btw. since I've been planning on creating my own events (some of which will require CE content), I've begun writing them down on paper. Already have 28 new and unique events mapped out, no typos. Now I just need to convert them into proper .ftl files and we're all good to go. If my events don't make it into CE then I understand. I'll just make it my own mini-modpack. Currently planning on making 100 new lore-friendly events :roll: