FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
moop

Infinite won't run

Postby moop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Hey all, is anyone else having a problem running CE Infinite? For me, everything else about CE loads up fine but when I get to a beacon, there is no "infinite" choice of continuing to deep space. It's like that one mod doesn't load properly, though CE and even Endless Loot when I tried it work fine (not using EL all the time).

I'm following the load order precisely.

I am running CE 1.27 and CE Infinite 1.26 with Slipstream 1.6.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have an idea how to make CE Infinite work? I would love to play it. Thank you! And thanks to everyone who worked on these great mods!
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.277b/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:05 pm

I can't reproduce the issue. But it indicates that something is overwriting your exit events. Can you post your complete mod load order please?
moop

Postby moop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 pm

Sure! Load order is:

Better planets and backgrounds
CE Resource Pack
CE 1.27
Better planets compatibility patch
CE Infinite

Both better planets and regular CE work fine. Just tried a fresh install of FTL and problem remains. Thanks for looking into it!
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:39 pm

So here's a thing I've been thinking about.

I've been play testing the Automaton ship and that one has a custom drone.
I've noticed during my showcase that I couldn't use it to delay the rebel fleet. That problem has now been solved because I told the man to add :

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="blueprintList" name="DRONES_COMBAT_PROJECTILE">
   <mod-append:name>COMBAT_3</mod-append:name>
</mod:findName>
<mod:findName type="blueprintList" name="DRONES_STANDARD">
<mod:findName type="blueprintList" name="COMBAT_DRONE_LIST">
<mod:findName type="blueprintList" name="DRONES_STANDARD_PLAYER">

To the autoblueprints.xml.append which currently only had this for DRONES_COMBAT list.
I took those lists because those were the ones that also had COMBAT_2 in it.

Anyway, that aside, it got me thinking about using the drones to delay the rebel fleet when you're on an empty beacon.
Now at the cost of sounding like an idiot for it possibly already being implemented:
Wouldn't that option be incredibly useful when you're actually caught by the rebel fleet?
Don't know what is actually possible, but if you still had fuel, you could have following option :
(Combat Drone) Distract the rebel ship.
Causing the enemy ship to turn neutral and immediately allowing you to jump (or wait and "re-roll" the ship and hope for an easier foe in case you're out of fuel).
Then when you have beaten a ship, another chance to use drone parts to actually delay the fleet by 1 jump:
(Combat Drone) Leave behind some drones to cover your escape.
Again, this might already be in the game, but it just got me thinking. Seeing how it's a good idea but is often not the most appealing choice on empty beacons. Seeing how if you have the option, you probably want to spend your drone parts in combat. And if you're in an empty beacon, chances are likely the fleet isn't posing a threat (yet).
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:15 pm

moop wrote:Sure! Load order is:

Better planets and backgrounds
CE Resource Pack
CE 1.27
Better planets compatibility patch
CE Infinite

Both better planets and regular CE work fine. Just tried a fresh install of FTL and problem remains. Thanks for looking into it!

Odd, this should work. Maybe try redownloading and reinstalling infinite.

Biohazard063 wrote:(Combat Drone) Distract the rebel ship.
Causing the enemy ship to turn neutral and immediately allowing you to jump (or wait and "re-roll" the ship and hope for an easier foe in case you're out of fuel).
Then when you have beaten a ship, another chance to use drone parts to actually delay the fleet by 1 jump:
(Combat Drone) Leave behind some drones to cover your escape.
Again, this might already be in the game, but it just got me thinking. Seeing how it's a good idea but is often not the most appealing choice on empty beacons. Seeing how if you have the option, you probably want to spend your drone parts in combat. And if you're in an empty beacon, chances are likely the fleet isn't posing a threat (yet).

Yeah, while this technically could work it does also create the question why you can't do this all the time with any ships to escape. I tried to imply in the drone deploy text that this really only works cause the fleet is big and cumbersome and easily distracted, but I guess it still creates the question why this isn't always possible.

On a slightly different note: I considered whether Zoltans might offer to sacrifice themselves by being turned into fuel when you run out. :shock:
Tycho X

Postby Tycho X » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:On a slightly different note: I considered whether Zoltans might offer to sacrifice themselves by being turned into fuel when you run out. :shock:

Sounds like a great but cruel idea :mrgreen: I'd make sure it would be at least sort of worth it though, since zoltan are pretty hard to get and cost 60 scrap
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Yeah, while this technically could work it does also create the question why you can't do this all the time with any ships to escape. I tried to imply in the drone deploy text that this really only works cause the fleet is big and cumbersome and easily distracted, but I guess it still creates the question why this isn't always possible.

On a slightly different note: I considered whether Zoltans might offer to sacrifice themselves by being turned into fuel when you run out. :shock:

In normal situations I would say " Yes, why wouldn't we have the option to do that on every other ship ? ", but I know how much more work that would be to add. I've seen the amounts of times blue options for say the combat augments pop-up in the mod files.

For me it seems more obvious that a few drones would have an easier time distracting an enemy ship rather than an entire fleet.
I guess we all have our different views about this sort of stuff...

In this case of the rebel, it's still only 1 ship usually combined with ASB or PDS that's targeting you.
So if you can make it fit so that 1 ship can be distracted, you're pretty much good when it comes down to lore.

Sacrificing Zotan... : "Alright Steve, we're out of fuel and the Rebels are on our butt, get into the FTL drive and we'll squeeze you like a lemon. Nice knowing ya !"
On a more serious note, I suppose it could be a percentage based thing that he actually survives.
Like 66% chance to be fine and 33% of death. With text like :
Succes : Your Zoltan crew member focuses and places his (its ?) hands on the FTL Drive, powering it long enough to make one more jump. He feels faint and is brought to his quarters to rest.
Succes : Your Zoltan crew member takes his place near the FTL Drive and places his hands on it. The console flickers to indicate it's ready to make an FTL jump. Your crewmember doesn't look good though...
Failure (minor): Your Zoltan crew member lays his hands upon the FTL drive and starts to power it. After awhile you notice you're able to make an FTL jump. However when you contact your crewmember, the radio remains silent.
Failure (major) : Your Zoltan crew member walks over to the FTL Drive and places his hands on it. But before the FTL Drive is fully charged, the Zoltan rapidly starts to loose his glow, before you can pull him away his inner glow dies completely and so does the FTL Drive...

Succes would be just +1 fuel
The minor fail would be -1 zoltan and + 1 fuel
The major fail would be -1 zoltan

You would have to change the possible reward of talking to your Zoltan crewmember and getting free fuel though. Wouldn't make to much sense otherwise.
Probably make it so the clonebay can't bring him back.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:In normal situations I would say " Yes, why wouldn't we have the option to do that on every other ship ? ", but I know how much more work that would be to add. I've seen the amounts of times blue options for say the combat augments pop-up in the mod files.

For me it seems more obvious that a few drones would have an easier time distracting an enemy ship rather than an entire fleet.
I guess we all have our different views about this sort of stuff...

In this case of the rebel, it's still only 1 ship usually combined with ASB or PDS that's targeting you.
So if you can make it fit so that 1 ship can be distracted, you're pretty much good when it comes down to lore.

Right but I'm pretty sure the player will wonder why he can't do this in any fight then. Why couldn't he? I'm not arguing so much on a lore basis here anyway. The delay option exists because I wanted to provide a not-so-straight-forward way for the player to turn drone parts into resources (time). Because that was an often requested features and I found the delay scenario was an interesting way to put that in. (Mine layers create a similar options for missiles.) However I'm not sure why merely having combat drones equipped should enable the player to trade drone parts for easy escapes. It could be interesting, but I'm not sure why drones need that additional perk. The delay scenario on the other hand answered a clear design problem: players often said they want to be able to turn their consumables into resources, but had few ways to actually do that. CE introduced ways, with downsides however to keep things tight.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Sacrifice a Zoltan for fuel?
That sounds like something a pirate would do. Sure it might be a desperate situation, but so was raiding that cargo vessel yet I get punished for attacking civvies even though that damned trading vessel (third one in a row too!) wouldn't answer my hails unless I had sacrificed an augment slot for some cheap cargo.

If we're going down that path, how about sacrificing an Engi for hull repairs?

You would have to change the possible reward of talking to your Zoltan crewmember and getting free fuel though. Wouldn't make to much sense otherwise.
Probably make it so the clonebay can't bring him back.

Nah it makes sense. They're willingly offering up energy for the ship's FTL drive. The power of love and loyalty always provides 300% more power than desperation. Think of the FTL fuel recycler. You're scraping the bottom of the barrel to get more fuel. Your crew is haggard and exhausted from the chase and the lack of fuel has put them on edge.

Give the Zoltan time to rest and they'll provide more fuel in a friendly social event.

Also, why can't the Clone Bay bring them back? Maybe in the Minor Fail, the Clone Bay works whereas the Major Fail means there's nothing left to recover (unless you have a backup DNA bank?)

----------------

Ok, speaking of the Backup DNA Bank, can that augment have some more use in events? Like during a Quarantine Zone or other events involving medical problems? After all, if something goes wrong, you have a massive bank of backups to work with to find the clone that doesn't have the disease.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:29 pm

stylesrj wrote:Sacrifice a Zoltan for fuel?
That sounds like something a pirate would do.

The idea was that they offer to die voluntarily, to sacrifice themselves for the mission and all. The reward would have been rather high (10-20 fuel). But yeah, I realized there is little reason why you couldn't just clone them (damn you AE!), so this probably won't happen after all. Merging an Engi with you hull though... "Your clone-bay obviously won't review your crewmen, as it is still alive as part of your plating." :shock:

stylesrj wrote:Ok, speaking of the Backup DNA Bank, can that augment have some more use in events? Like during a Quarantine Zone or other events involving medical problems? After all, if something goes wrong, you have a massive bank of backups to work with to find the clone that doesn't have the disease.
Yeah, that might be something to look into.