[SHIP] [AE] Buteogallus and Cathartes (Railgun Cruisers)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] [AE] Buteogallus and Cathartes (Railgun Cruisers)

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:59 am

Alright so I did a video run with the Cathartes...

https://youtu.be/ZnEQYb4Uu3o

The video is half an hour long. That either means the ship is overpowered and I got a quick run out of it or I got my but(eogallus) handed to me on an advanced alloy platter with all the Human trimmings (A Mantis Charlie's Special).

If I don't sound enthusiastic it's probably just the cold messing with my mood. I'll try and sound more perky on future videos.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:19 pm

The glows for the bases and gibs seem a bit off. You may want to refer to this video. It's for Photoshop, but it'll work with the drop shadow filter in GIMP if that's what you use.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Chrono Vortex wrote:The glows for the bases and gibs seem a bit off. You may want to refer to this video. It's for Photoshop, but it'll work with the drop shadow filter in GIMP if that's what you use.

Chrono, stop using drop shadow! Gods, man, how often do I have to remind you about Gaussian blur?
TaxiService

Postby TaxiService » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Guys, you might be interested in this plugin. It adds photoshop-like layer styles to GIMP. I remember trying it once and it looked pretty solid! You should totally check it out. All of you! These things are fucking amazing. So useful.

EDIT: in that page's comments somebody says that the instructions on the page are incorrect, and posted a video installation tutorial. I don't know which one might work for you, but i thought it'd be worth noting this..!
EDIT2: the video shows some techniques to make some effects manually. It might be interesting to watch anyway!
ImageImageImageImageImage
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:56 pm

steamtex wrote:Chrono, stop using drop shadow! Gods, man, how often do I have to remind you about Gaussian blur?

that feeling when you're a filthy memer who's been using drop shadow this entire time
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:02 pm

NarnKar wrote:
steamtex wrote:Chrono, stop using drop shadow! Gods, man, how often do I have to remind you about Gaussian blur?

that feeling when you're a filthy memer who's been using drop shadow this entire time

It's so simple, just go 10x10, then 15x15, then 20x20, set transparency to ~30%, and you're done...
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:27 am

NarnKar wrote:

I am a worse guy who had to learn everything through trial and error on gimp...

What's drop shadow?
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:41 am

It's basically the outer glow from Photoshop and it's a PERFECTLY VIABLE OPTION IN CERTAIN CASES! Seriously steamtex, what do you have against that filter!? I've been using it for my ship glows and they've turned out fine.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:34 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:It's basically the outer glow from Photoshop and it's a PERFECTLY VIABLE OPTION IN CERTAIN CASES! Seriously steamtex, what do you have against that filter!? I've been using it for my ship glows and they've turned out fine.

teach me please... the way I do glows atm is grab the airbrush tool and slowly go follow the lines with it...

PS you now know why I hate cloak images....
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
Auron1

Postby Auron1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:46 pm

These ships are just awesome.

Just a quick question: why do I see the ship in this way every time I jump into a new sector?

Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!