The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
steamtex

Re: The Shipyard

Postby steamtex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:47 am

Chrono Vortex wrote:When you do get the recolor, might I suggest you change the Rebel nacelle things into something that looks a little more like it came from the Federation? It's always kind of disappointing to me to see a neat ship that's a weird Federation-Rebel hybrid. If you don't feel like it I could do it.

I'm not planning on making it use the boxy Federation style sprites that the Federation anything-but-the-Osprey uses, so feel free to once I finish laying the foundation for what I'm planning.

Chrono Vortex wrote:Are you gonna want to use a rail gun sound for that thing?

Well, I can always mix it with what I have...
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:26 am

Vola!

Done! Sorry for the slight delay, just when I uploaded it here I saw that it was a rail gun in the centre and my recolouring there (assuming the middle part was supposed to be oddly-located paint for the rebels...) I just went on and repainted it. I fixed it up to match your image.

Chrono Vortex wrote:When you do get the recolor, might I suggest you change the Rebel nacelle things into something that looks a little more like it came from the Federation? It's always kind of disappointing to me to see a neat ship that's a weird Federation-Rebel hybrid. If you don't feel like it I could do it.

Are you gonna want to use a rail gun sound for that thing?

I think this is a "type B" for an already present rebel ship or it is a captured/ modifide rebel ship hence why it isn't using Fed parts but Fed paint...

Much like how the Kestrel B isn't using any rebel parts.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:40 am

R4V3-0N wrote:Voila!

Done! Sorry for the slight delay, just when I uploaded it here I saw that it was a rail gun in the centre and my recolouring there (assuming the middle part was supposed to be oddly-located paint for the rebels...) I just went on and repainted it. I fixed it up to match your image.

Many thanks. While you were doing that, I ended up making my own repaint, with the same stripes as the original. The silver is slightly more blue on mine, for some reason, I'll have to fix that real quick, and then I'll see about which of the stripes to use. I've already got gibs, and the weapon should be ready, so I'm going to start with actually making the ship.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:22 am

You are quite welcomed.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:32 am

Well, the ship itself has been completed, but being the terrible person I am, I'll take suggestions for names, since Cyclops sounds boring.
Last edited by steamtex on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:56 am

I am very good at names though... but tell me a little bit about the ship and what kind of name you want?

Flavours of names:

1) Federation naming system for Fed ships: Human
2) Some genus or group of things that you think Rebels would call themself
3) Anything that relates to the ship.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:03 am

If we're throwing names around...

The Cassowary!
(I think I already did that one though with my Stealth Fighter)

The Ostrich? Emu?

The Roc (Really big, mythical eagle)
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:16 am

I second The Ostrich.
That sound from Tiberian Sun went really well with whatever you had.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:21 am

The Roc in some legends was used as kind of like a mount... but instead of people ridding on top of it, The Roc carried a very large container to carry around large groups of people... and deploy them somewhere else- like behind enemy lines or on naval ships.

I think this bird is better for a heavy duty boarding ship then a sniper artillery cruiser.

If we are going with bird names.

Solitary Eagle and Crab Hawk are two names that came to mind.

both have one of the longest eye sights out there and are both part of the "raptors" or the "Birds of prey" group. However the Crab hawk is rather closely related to an extinct giant hawk known as Titanohierax. (look at the name, it's first 5 letters are 'Titan' ). It had a large wingspan of like nearly 60 centimetres. For a hawk that is rather huge and it was most likely an apex predator.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 pm

While I have decided on a title for the first version, I'm making a B variant, and I'll take suggestions for its name. Additionally: I need some thoughts for a different, more makeshift type of artillery weapon that fills the same space as the railgun, as the B variant will be a pirate paint-scheme.

It will use this as a base for the weapon: