[MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
ConV2014

Re: [MOD] [WIP] FTL: Otherspace

Postby ConV2014 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 pm

TaxiService wrote:Well, welcome to the forum! The new race sounds interesting! but there's a problem. We can't create a new race or modify existing races' abilities. The only things we can do is modify their look, their cost and their rarity. It's a limitation of the game itself, and we can't do anything about it. : \ Maybe the halos could replace one of the other races?

Yeah, maybe it could the Zoltans (peace stuff)

Or maybe Crystal...
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:35 pm

Yeah, the Zoltan are all about peace.

Provided you don't violate any natural mineral processing regulations. Also, be sure to have your weapons licensing in order, watch out for Wise Men and remember that all combat with science ships is probably just a test. Also, cakes made of stiff dough that can be used as Scrap? Yuck!

I mean there is that questline for the cruiser being all about peace, but really the Zoltan are a bunch of hypocrites and I think their sectors should be red.

Your Halo race is better off associating/replacing the Engies.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:31 am

Zoltans are just really militaristic about peace. They want peace and are willing to kill every last person in the Galaxy to get it.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:35 am

Which is in no reference to some real world country(ies) we know... wink wink nudge nudge... :lol:
SciGuy303

Postby SciGuy303 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 am

Ok, awesome Type C idea:

Type C: Hell's Angel
Features Mind control, Clonebay, Two Combat 1 drones, and dual lasers. Also has Titanium Armor Plating and 2 humans and 1 lanius (idea being that Lanius converted this ship and refitted it with new technology.)

I also think that the Halo race should replace the Engi, because of the whole peacr thing, and zoltans are just so obsessed woth peace that they kill anyone to get it.
I do random stuff and surf on the fourms. That's about it.
boagboy

Postby boagboy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:36 am

WOW this mod looks so promising. really excited to see how it turns out!
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:47 am

It was coming for a long while... And then it just stopped.

As all projects of this scale are keen to do, it was stuck in development hell for a while. Since September 2015, no work has been done on this mod. No weapons, ships, or even sprites... People got busy, I got sidetracked, and plans fell apart. Mainly due to a lack of organization, but a lack of motivation also took its toll.

But now, after blowing the dust off, it's back. And under a new working title, for the time being.

Since both Clonebay and Overdrive have unfortunately been put on a standby, the mod will be seeing an almost-extreme reduce in content, although we are expected to have it fully playable by Q4 2016. However, this comes with a large restriction:

We desperately need a new team. The old team was a rag-tag group of volunteers, many of which have never worked on a project of this scale before (myself included). Any volunteers at all would be a huge help. As of right now, the only people on board are myself and ShadowLink, a friend of mine who actually proposed the resurrection of the mod. This means that we still need sprite artists, idea generators, and another coder or two. If you can combine sprites in GIMP, come up with an idea for an event, or even just write one line of C++, you'll be a huge help in this mod.

Wish us luck on this project. We're sure as hell going to need it.

- The FTL: Otherspace Crew
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 pm

I can give you ideas, maybe some art, but that's pretty much all I could do.
If people who've seen my posts on the forums have noticed I am VERY interested in Zoltans and everything about them, and I've wanted (and I plan to someday) make a mod with the Zoltans re skinned as what my forum account picture is. And with C++, I get the impression from posts in the past that you can edit the game to a whole new level.

So, I have two ideas.

1: Here's a layout for a new race.

Name: Zolstal

Abilities: The adding power to a system ability and the lockdown ability.

Health: 60

Cost: 70 scrap.

2: Shield Overchargers. I don't know if these things are possible or not with the Overchargers, but if so, here's a layout to give you my fabulous idea.

Name: Shield Overcharger 2.0 (for lack of a better name)

Abilities: It starts out by shielding your ship with 1 bar of Zoltan Shield. What's different about this one, however, is that after it charges the Zoltan Shield with 1 bar twice, it will charge up and give you 2 bars in one pop. It does the same thing again, and then you get it so that it gives you 3 bars of Zoltan Shield in one pop, but it stays that way until you win or a stray shot from a weapon blows it up.

Power: 0? 2? 4? It's pretty powerful, but I would want it to be the entire shield for the ship, completely replacing the normal shield system.

Cost: 120 scrap. Maybe even more expensive.

This is all I've got so far. I could give you even more ideas if you like these, such as ship layouts, weapons, and other things. And if I haven't been clear on some stuff and you have questions, I'll gladly answer them.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:54 am

Unfortunately, due to both Operation: Clonebay and Overdrive both being abandoned once again, we will be unable to implement the planned new races of the original mod. This means that many other features had to be constrained as well. I like the idea, but we won't be able to include them, sadly.

As for the Shield Generator, I think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure how the Shield Overcharger works as far as the code for it goes, so that idea may also be impossible to implement. I'll get back to you once I find anything.

If you have any art to share, please do so. We could always use some contributions to the mod effort.
elijahdb

Postby elijahdb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Okay, sounds good.
I've created Type C Hulls for the enemy Mantis, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan ships, and anyone can use these for a mod.
Check out the details here.