[WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:32 pm

Necroing old posts is fine if the idea you're bringing into the light is something cool. Like this one.
Although if turning starships into airships is too much work... can someone make (more) steampunk spaceships? Or other punkpunk spaceships?

Complete with appropriate interiors (so an engine room would be covered in gears and belts and stuff)
steamtex

Postby steamtex » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:07 am

While a steampunk airship theme is nice, I'm not sure how well it'd work with FTL. Just throwing it out there: I think it'd be interesting if FTL was changed from a space game to a naval game. It could actually work pretty well --

-Cloaking can't be bought, but comes on certain ships (submarines, sprite changes accordingly)

-Drones are pretty much non-existent, though perhaps they could represent aircraft

-Artillery could be some kind of specialized weapon (?)

-The Rebel Flagship is some kind of battleship

-Planetary ASBs are now shore-based defense guns or fleet cannons (16" guns) (how would the sprite change work? ASBs come from the background...)

-Lasers are ordinary guns, missiles could be rockets/still missiles, beams could probably stay beams/be renamed lasers
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:28 am

steamtex wrote:While a steampunk airship theme is nice, I'm not sure how well it'd work with FTL. Just throwing it out there: I think it'd be interesting if FTL was changed from a space game to a naval game. It could actually work pretty well --

Heh I'm writing a novel about a sea Captain. I just change all the technological stuff to nautical stuff.

Although if there was to be an ambitious conversion mod, FTO (Father Than Oceans) It could be set in the not-too-distant-future, perhaps next Sunday A.D to allow for certain naval technologies (Anno 2070 comes to mind. Energy shields!)
Or in an alternative Cold War scenario where aircraft carriers don't dominate everything so we can have proper naval engagements.

Plus there could be Hydrofoils, trimarans and that crazy ship that looks like a plane but doesn't fly.

-Cloaking can't be bought, but comes on certain ships (submarines, sprite changes accordingly)

Ultra-Pressure Hull. Allows the ship to dive under the waves for a short period of time. That would explain why 15 seconds and not say 15 months.
This could apply to both time settings.

-Drones are pretty much non-existent, though perhaps they could represent aircraft

Or Drones could be used (Future). Or helicopters (Cold War).

-Artillery could be some kind of specialized weapon (?)

The Bay Class Cruiser with the Railgun Artillery... (Again, both time settings)

-The Rebel Flagship is some kind of battleship

The FATHER/Soviet Union Flagship (or ARK). Phase 1 has the Ultra-Pressure Hull, but on Phase 2, it's no longer capable of submerging. Instead damage-control teams used those holes to place drone launchers. Phase 3... experimental MetalStorm barrage.

-Planetary ASBs are now shore-based defense guns or fleet cannons (16" guns) (how would the sprite change work? ASBs come from the background...)

Homing torpedoes that use kinetic energy to do damage and are so fast they fly into the air. I dunno, this one is tricky, especially if Asteroid Fields would be sea mines, solar flares would be active underwater volcanoes and pulsars... ummm, nuclear testing site? An old laboratory generating EMP fields?

-Lasers are ordinary guns, missiles could be rockets/still missiles, beams could probably stay beams/be renamed lasers

And Flak is MetalStorm. Because hell yeah!