[SHIP] [AE] The Légionnaire

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Chrono Vortex

[SHIP] [AE] The Légionnaire

Postby Chrono Vortex » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:24 pm

“After the annihilation of the red menace, there were greater problems to be resolved. The Buero of Chronological Investigation has discovered a rebellion against a future space-federation that should never have arisen, most likely a side effect of the Soviet’s misuse of a stolen Chronosphere during the war. Unfortunately, ending the rebellion before it starts would cause a paradox, so small team will be dispatched immediately to assist the Federation in their war.”

Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, I present to you my first mod! As I’m sure fans of the old C&C games could already tell, this mod combines the universes of Red Alert 2 and FTL. Well, really all I did was stick RA2 and FTL together with duct tape and painted it all over until it looked like FTL again.

This ship uses the same hit-and-run tactics that always went well with the Allies, as it starts with no shields or cloak but a weapon pre-igniter. If you wind up fighting a battle for longer than you’d like, the chrono artillery will hopefully kick in and start doing 8 ion damage to systems. That may sound overpowered, but of course there’s no guarantee it’ll hit a system, and this ship doesn’t have too much else going for it. It’s very difficult to manage early game, but if you can get to the last few sectors you can turn ships into absolute mulch.

Starting systems and crew:
• Engines - 2
• O2 - 1
• Weapons – 4
• MedBay – 1
• Artillery – 2
• Piloting – 1
• Sensors – 1
• Doors - 2
• Backup Battery – 1
• Human – 2
• Engi – 1

Bugs (if anyone knows how to fix these, I’d love to know myself):
• Blue options requiring ion weaponry do not appear for custom weapons.
• The explosion effect for the prism cannon often goes off about a centimeter away from the targeted room.

Room configuration is pretty much identical to the Kestrel A, with the exclusion of the removal of the aft airlocks. I can’t honestly take credit for any art this mod has. Most of it is just modified original FTL stuff, like the cherokee beam (pike beam) and the prism cannon (burst laser mk. II), and whatever I did myself was very simple. Obviously the hull is just a recolor with a chunk taken out of the back to make room for the chronosphere. Gibs, cloak and shields are all fully functional and look like they belong in the game. All the new sounds are ripped from .mix files from RA2 and so is the effect for the chrono bomb explosion, though I did have to size that one down a little. By the way, I couldn’t find right effect for teleportation anywhere in any photo editor. If someone else could let me know what it is, that would be swell.

Before anyone lectures me on the laws of physics, I know that the prism cannon’s projectile should technically move at the speed of light, and therefore the weapon should be a beam. But if it were a beam, I can’t think of a way to distinguish it from the other one in this mod that isn’t beyond me artistically. Also the rainbow effects it has require the mechanics of the laser, and we all know how important rainbows are!

Credit goes to NarnKar for the data files for the cherokee beam. Go check out his Aegir Kronos mod, it’s pretty fun (not to mention insanely overpowered). And credit of course to the superluminal ship editor and the original FTL resources.

So, feel free to enjoy (or hate) this ship to the fullest while I wait for EA to kill me for using the Allied logo. Oh yeah, ownership of that and all the other C&C related stuff (i.e. the chronosphere, the mirage tank, prism tech, the Allies themselves and Red Alert 2) goes to EA.

Download v1.1 here.
Replaces the Kestrel A.

A video of v1.0 of this ship created by the ever present and persistent stylesrj can be found here. I am working on a better way to deal with borders, that will come in the next update, possibly with a new room configuration.
Last edited by Chrono Vortex on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:33 am, edited 13 times in total.
NarnKar

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Légionnaire

Postby NarnKar » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:14 am

Thanks for the shoutout! :D

Your imgur embedded images aren't working, just a heads up. [EDIT - now they are, disregard].
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 am

Sounds like an awesome ship to try out, considering I love Red Alert 2 (Tanya and Boris and Yuri will probably be the first crew names)

One question though: Why the Kestrel? Why couldn't the Allies just make their own cool-looking ship? Or is that reserved for the Soviets? Because now I want a Kirov Starship!
Crazybat

Postby Crazybat » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:07 pm

Pleasantly surprised by how fun this mod was to play - the unique weapons and new paintjob make for an interesting playthrough.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 pm

stylesrj wrote:One question though: Why the Kestrel? Why couldn't the Allies just make their own cool-looking ship? Or is that reserved for the Soviets? Because now I want a Kirov Starship!

I had some really neat ideas for the ship's hull, but I'm not too great with custom art. I'm working on adding the "optic projectors" like what the mirage tank has to the existing art with some weird combination of splicing and files made from scratch, but it's a slow process.

As for the Soviet ship, I'm working on that one too. Now I totally have to paint the Kirov face on the hull!
Oh, and also space nukes are gonna be a thing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Chrono Vortex wrote:I had some really neat ideas for the ship's hull, but I'm not too great with custom art. I'm working on adding the "optic projectors" like what the mirage tank has to the existing art with some weird combination of splicing and files made from scratch, but it's a slow process.

Hey it's a lot better than what I can come up with. I just splice things onto other things and go "Yup, I'm totally not putting gibs on it!"

As for the Soviet ship, I'm working on that one too. Now I totally have to paint the Kirov face on the hull!
Oh, and also space nukes are gonna be a thing.

That nuke looks awesome.

If you want, check out my attempt at making a Kirov Spaceship (if you haven't already)...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27525
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:16 am

And now I've done a video run with the ship in order to go through any issues that might be lingering about for such an awesome ship.

https://youtu.be/zNRG-gSAjjg

I'm not good playing with ships that work similar to the Stealth B on anything but Easy. But I think my biggest problem was airlock placement. I can handle everything else fine but airlocks shouldn't be placed where they logically should (middle of the ship where you dock).
There needs to be some access airlocks at the back and near the front as it becomes almost impossible to vent out the cruiser in an emergency, like when two Rockmen teleport onboard in a solar flare, so you jump away only to encounter another Rock ship who teleports onboard with Mantis tech.
Yeah, that sort of emergency.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:31 pm

stylesrj wrote:There needs to be some access airlocks at the back and near the front as it becomes almost impossible to vent out the cruiser in an emergency, like when two Rockmen teleport onboard in a solar flare, so you jump away only to encounter another Rock ship who teleports onboard with Mantis tech.
Yeah, that sort of emergency.

The Chronoshpere is super crazy when you get it powered up, so I had to give this ship some disadvantages in other areas. The airlocks were intentional, I always thought asphyxiating borders was a little cheep anyways.
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP] [AE] The Légionnaire

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Chrono Vortex wrote:The Chronoshpere is super crazy when you get it powered up, so I had to give this ship some disadvantages in other areas. The airlocks were intentional, I always thought asphyxiating borders was a little cheep anyways.

I thought the fact that the Chronosphere can miss or hit an empty room would be enough of a disadvantage. And that when you encounter events that toss up to 6 Zoltan or Mantis on your ship, you'd wish you had a cheap way of removing them before they remove everything on the ship.
Chrono Vortex

Re: [SHIP] [AE] The Légionnaire

Postby Chrono Vortex » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:45 am

Alright, I'll add some airlocks in the next version and try to change some of the rooms around a bit. Maybe I'll and some other substitute for airlocks that makes boarding parties easier.