Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Sick Boy

Re: [MOD] Open World Mod

Postby Sick Boy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:09 pm

might i suggest x3?
Tysonclyde

Postby Tysonclyde » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Yes the mining will be a scenario where there are an unlimited amount of enemies with only one sector where you can mine for scrap and boost your ship to its full potential and set up mining rigs on asteroids and comets.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Tysonclyde wrote:How does it sound "horrible". Being able to play with your friends on a private server sounds "horrible"? Mining for scrap and upgrading your ship to its full potential sounds "horrible"? Having multiple ships and creating civilizations on multiple planets in multiple sectors until you control the entire galaxy sounds "horrible"? Wow than if this sounds "horrible" than you have no taste in fun whatsoever.

Yes, yes it does. I don't want to play with my friends, nor should anyone else. This is a single player Roguelike, not Mass Effect Online. Mining is an absolutely *horrible* idea, it'd be a waste of time, and for the love of christ, Civilizations? I suggest you play Civilization or something.
Tysonclyde

Postby Tysonclyde » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:43 pm

I have nothing to say to you sir. Carry on with your "horrible" ways. TROLL!!!
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:49 pm

What? I'm no "troll", I'm merely voicing my opinion.

You don't seem to know what that word means.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Sounds like you want a 4x game, like Master of Orion or something.
swixel

Postby swixel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Tysonclyde wrote:I am learning C++ so I will try to get a mining mod out there ASAP. Please bear with me I have just started C++ so don't judge me harshly if it has bugs.

I'd recommend you learn some reverse engineering techniques too. The Steam binary (if nothing else) has some pretty nasty protection on it for an indie game (though it's honestly nothing too bad); it'll make modding the vanilla version of it a load of fun for you given the amount of stuff built straight into the engine (read: binary) itself.

If you're serious about C++ and your idea, look at http://www.sdltutorials.com/ What wasn't stripped in this indicates the dev used it to learn and kept the structure (there's nothing wrong with it; C#.NET+XNA actually uses a similar structure).

Though I'm inclined to agree that it sounds more like you want another game. What *could* be fun is splitting the backend from the frontend for private leaderboards on a server, keeping the gameplay the same, and having the same seed (read: systems, enemies, etc.) on playthrough. But that's open to social engineering and human bugs.
Tysonclyde

Postby Tysonclyde » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Thank you Swixel. And yes I am very serious about C++. I am planning on programming my own game in the next couple years.
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Tysonclyde wrote:Thank you Swixel. And yes I am very serious about C++. I am planning on programming my own game in the next couple years.

Knowing a programming language won't do you much good when you don't have anything to use it on. You'll need to hack and reverse engineer the game if you want to be able to do some serious modding on this game.

I think all the interesting stuff is hidden inside the .exe file.
Tysonclyde

Postby Tysonclyde » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Shit I can't seem to change anything in the .DAT file without a crash. I have looked everywhere. PLZZZZZZ Help.