[Modding]Creating your own weapons

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Temporaryname

Re: [Modding]Creating your own weapons

Postby Temporaryname » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 pm

I understand the tutorial is a bit outdated, which is why I'm leaving a post here. I made a weapon that used basic sprites, the weapon worked fine. Today I tried to make a custom spritesheet for it, nothing special, just recolors of the basics. I added it to the animations.xml (code seen below) and made the blueprint reference that animsheet for its animations, but in FTL proper, the weapon has no animations whatsoever besides the glow that lets me know the chain effect is working properly.

Code: Select all

<animSheet name="ionchain" w="320" h="67" fw="32" fh="67">weapons/ionchain_strip10.png</animSheet>
<weaponAnim name="ionchain">
   <sheet>ionchain</sheet>
   <desc length="10" x="0" y="0"/>
   <chargedFrame>4</chargedFrame>
   <fireFrame>5</fireFrame>
   <firePoint  x="18" y="23"/>
   <mountPoint x="4" y="49"/>
   <boost>ionchain_charge</boost>
</weaponAnim>

I can confirm that the spritesheet is named as such listed in the code, and exists in the resources proper. It is listed as the correct animsheet for the weapon. I genuinely don't know the problem, and if anyone could help I would be very grateful.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Odd. There is some weird image formating that FTL does not accept. But that never happened for me and I don't really know what that is about. Are you sure that the graphic is place at the correct path? Double check everything for typos in the filenames maybe? Is the actual file really called ionchain_strip10.png? I mean you said it is, but it is still the most likely cause. :? The code looks allright to me... Sorry, no real idea whats wrong there. If the file names and paths are correct than it should work. :|
redstonetorches

Postby redstonetorches » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 pm

got confused on the second step... "paste that line under that line"
I give up
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do things that I probably don't need to be doing.
Cheese

Postby Cheese » Sat May 23, 2015 10:25 pm

AtillaBosma wrote:Just saw an error in the code, lemme quickly fix it!

:o
Cheese

Postby Cheese » Sat May 23, 2015 10:27 pm

How do i open an XML file? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M GOING CRAZZZZZZY :lol: (Lol jk)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat May 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Cheese wrote:How do i open an XML file? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M GOING CRAZZZZZZY :lol: (Lol jk)

Wordpad should do the trick. Or Notepad. Or any word processing software. Unless you're running something so obscure that it doesn't have those sorts of programs. Then you go use Notepad++
lordrockit

Postby lordrockit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:32 am

I hi made my own html based weapon creator and id like to share a bit of my weapon knowlage because some of yours was a little off.
first off as the photo editors go LAYERS cant stress that enough also you didn't put one of the best free photo editors: Gimp.
also use slipstreams mod manager for unpacking and modding if you put your seperate files in A .zip and rename it to a .ftl you can mod like that.

look at my weapon creator on page 2(as of now) of the forum.
FTL lordrockit's weapon creator. Lordrockit- programer, 3d artist, gamer
Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Mon May 16, 2016 11:58 am

how do you make .ftl files? :?:
killin' slugs and beating Rebels since 2014, modding the game since 2016
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 16, 2016 11:04 pm

You rename an archive file (zip, rar, whatever else is there) to .ftl

Or, take your Crown of Thorns and add the weapons blueprints you want to the blueprints.xml.append.