FTL - The Rise of the Empire - A FTL Tabletop-esque RPG

Have a great FTL experience you would like to share? Post here!
Hanzz

FTL - The Rise of the Empire - A FTL Tabletop-esque RPG

Postby Hanzz » Mon May 18, 2015 1:02 am

(*) = Must fill

Basics

* Name (& pronunciation): * -Your character's name, and pronounciation-
Place of Birth: -Where was your character born-
* Species/Racial Origin: * -What species is your character-
Social Class/Community Status: -What social class, or what status does your character have-
Language: -Your characters language-
Family/Friends/Pets/Etc: -Does your character have any family; friends, pets, etc?-

Physical Description

* Height: * -Characters height-
* Weight: * -Characters weight-
Hair: -Characters hair color, leave blank if species does not have hair-
Eyes: -Characters eye color, leave blank if species does not have eyes-
* Limb Dexterity: * -Right or left handed-
* Detailed Physical Description: * -Your characters physical atributes, is he tall or short? muscular or feebly? any scars? any deficiencies? all goes in here-
* Typical Clothing/Equipment: * -What does your character carry around with him? which tools? which equipments? what clothing does he wear? (Limited to one weapon and one tool, no armor, just clothing, GM will fix item stats later)-

Personality/Attributes

* Personality/Attitude: * -Is your character arrogant or friendly? whats his personality? whats his attitude to others?-
* Skills/Talents: * -Does your character have any talents or special skills?-
* Favourites/Likes: * -What does your character like?-
* Most Hated/Dislikes: *-What does your character hate?-
* Goals/Ambitions: * -What are your characters goals or ambitions?-
* Strengths: * -What are your character's strenghts?-
* Weaknesses: * -What are your character's weaknesses?-
* Fears: * -What does your character fear?-
* Hobbies/Interests: * -What are your character's hobbies?-
Regular Routine: -What does your character do in his day-to-day life?-
Philosophy of Life: -What does your character thinks of life?-
Attitude Toward Death: -What does your character thinks of death?-
Religion/Beliefs: -What are your characters religions or beliefs?-
Fetishes/Strange Behaviors: -Does your character have any fetishes or any strange behaviours?-
Education/Special Training: -What education has had your character? does he have any special training?-
Place/Type of Residence: -Where does your character live?-
Place of Work: -Where does your character work?-
Past Occupations: -Has your character had any other jobs?-

Skill Sheet

Distribute 30 skill points between the following

Inteligence: (+5 Base)
-Your characters ability to deal with and solve intelectual problems that require quick thinking-
Wisdom: (+5 Base)
-Your characters ability to deal with and solve intelectual problems that require thorough thinking to acquire the best end results-
Charisma: (+5 Base)
-Your characters ability to bargain for lower prices or diplomatic conversations, aswell as to lie without being detected or to engage communication with better results-
Dexterity: (+5 Base)
-Your characters dexterity, precision and ability to wield weapons, tools or machines that require high precision-
Strenght: (+5 Base)
-Your characters strenght, damage and ability to deal with operations that require strong actions/movements/hits-
Constitution: (+5 Base)
-Your characters constitution and ability to take more hits with less damage taken-

Code: Select all

Basics

Name (& pronunciation):
Date of Birth (& age):
Place of Birth:
Social Class/Community Status:
Language:
Family/Friends/Pets/Etc:

Physical Description

Height:
Weight:
Hair:
Eyes:
Limb Dexterity:
Detailed Physical Description:
Typical Clothing/Equipment:

Personality/Attributes

Personality/Attitude:
Skills/Talents:
Favourites/Likes:
Most Hated/Dislikes:
Goals/Ambitions:
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Fears:
Hobbies/Interests:
Regular Routine:
Philosophy of Life:
Attitude Toward Death: 
Religion/Beliefs:
Fetishes/Strange Behaviors:
Most Instructive/Painful/Memorable Experience:
Sexual Preference/Experience/Values:
Education/Special Training:
Place/Type of Residence:
Place of Work:
Work-related Skills:
Past Occupations:
Memberships:

Skill Sheet

Distribute 30 Skill points between the following

Inteligence:
Wisdom:
Charisma:
Dexterity:
Strenght:
Constitution:

More coming soon
Last edited by Hanzz on Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Hanzz

Example sheet!

Postby Hanzz » Mon May 18, 2015 1:14 am

Example sheet! That will be an NPC, By the way.

Thanks to stylesjr for the character

Name: Rebekah Kalikfish
Place of Birth: Slave district, Mantis Hive World (KazaakplethKalik's domain)
Species: Humanoid (GM Earthling)
Social Class/Community Status: Former Mantis Slave
Language: Mantis (primary), Galactic (secondary)
Family/Friends/Pets/Etc: All deceased or in chains.

Physical Description

Height: Average
Weight: Average
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Limb Dexterity: Ambidextrous
Detailed Physical Description: Rebekah is blue-skinned and looks rather athletic in appearance. On her back is a large tattoo of claws indicating her past life as a slave to the legendary Mantis thief.
Typical Clothing/Equipment: She is normally seen in a Federation Blue uniform with a energy blade for self-protection and a multi-tool for spot repairs on ships.

Personality/Attributes

Personality/Attitude: Surprisingly well-adjusted considering where she was raised from. She after all had to rely on support from her community in order to survive. Considering it was a Mantis colony she also had to develop a violent side. This can be seen under high-stress operations or in battle. But for the most part she can be seen as supportive towards others, although if they start complaining about how harsh their life was, she tends to butt in with tales of her past to shut them up.
Skills/Talents: She is skilled in the art of small melee weapons, using them in a similar fashion to Mantis warriors.
Favourites/Likes: Freedom, Mantises
Most Hated/Dislikes: Slavers, Mantises
Goals/Ambitions: To seek out a new life in the Federation
Strengths: Excellent in close combat.
Weaknesses: Does not take retreating very lightly, even if tactical.
Fears: Being recaptured and forced back into the Fighting Pits
Hobbies/Interests: Sparring
Regular Routine: Training, keeping in touch with her fellow liberated slaves and sometimes a few Mantises she had fought (in more ways than one)
Philosophy of Life: Life your life and then live it differently once someone from above comes down and says "You're free!" Also, not everyone is your enemy.
Attitude Toward Death: It happens every day. On the streets or in the palace. But you move on and hope it's not you or your friends who'll be seen next.
Religion/Beliefs: One of those Mantis gods.
Fetishes/Strange Behaviors: She developed a liking for Mantises after becoming a personal servant of Kazaak. Turns out the green bugger with his big red ships has a liking towards the blue...
Education/Special Training: Street Skillz (of the Slave Colony variety)
Place/Type of Residence: Used to be some shack, then the slave quarters, now some Federation barracks with other Federation soldiers
Place of Work: Federation Officer Training Academy
Past Occupations: Mantis Slave Pit Fighter, one of many of Kazaak's personal servants.

Skill Sheet

Int: 2 (+5) (Not much time for book-learnin on the Slave Pits. Officer's training helps but still)
Wis: 6 (+5) (Street smarts yo!)
Cha: 2 (+5) (Raised in the Slave Pits. Not good for appearances or people skills. Although she can relate with other former slaves if needed)
Dex: 8 (+5) (Had to be flexible to fight)
Str: 5 (+5) (Strength didn't matter too much as long as you knew where to hit)
Con: 7 (+5) (Had to be tough to keep fighting)
Last edited by Hanzz on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Re: FTL - The Rise of the Empire - A FTL Tabletop-esque RPG

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 am

So how will this turn out? You go on some chatroom at a certain time or is it more drop-in?

Regardless, I'll try to create a character! By the power of my FTL Fanfic, I have the power!

I'll think of something eventually. Although don't be surprised if I don't go completely by the arbitrary numbers to describe my character's stats.

For example, height and weight would most likely be listed as "Average" because honestly, why is that important to know? Is there going to be a Height Check for grabbing a Power Converter off the top shelf? Can't a Rock do it? Or you put the tall character on top of the short character so they can grab it?
Hanzz

Postby Hanzz » Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 am

stylesrj wrote:So how will this turn out? You go on some chatroom at a certain time or is it more drop-in?

Regardless, I'll try to create a character! By the power of my FTL Fanfic, I have the power!

I'll think of something eventually. Although don't be surprised if I don't go completely by the arbitrary numbers to describe my character's stats.

For example, height and weight would most likely be listed as "Average" because honestly, why is that important to know? Is there going to be a Height Check for grabbing a Power Converter off the top shelf? Can't a Rock do it? Or you put the tall character on top of the short character so they can grab it?

I'mma make a chatroom for it, just like the older ones; find a good time, make a session, bam.

Also, the weight and height are just for the character sheet, not much else (crap, he found out.)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 18, 2015 3:22 am

Hanzz wrote:
I'mma make a chatroom for it, just like the older ones; find a good time, make a session, bam.

Also, the weight and height are just for the character sheet, not much else (crap, he found out.)

Yeah I'm not good with times and chatrooms. I prefer dropping in at random and getting things done before dropping back out.

And don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I know all about that 11ft high shelf that a 10ft barge pole can't reach.

By the way, what are the restrictions on characters? Let's say I play a Zoltan, can I do things like shoot lightning out of my hands while still carrying a blaster pistol? Or does "Zoltan space magic" count as a weapon?

Also, do you recommend people stick to the FTL template for aliens or encourage people to play as all sorts of non-canon species (and confuse the heck out of everyone as to what they can do)
Hanzz

Postby Hanzz » Tue May 19, 2015 1:20 am

stylesrj wrote:Yeah I'm not good with times and chatrooms. I prefer dropping in at random and getting things done before dropping back out.

And don't worry, your secret is safe with me. I know all about that 11ft high shelf that a 10ft barge pole can't reach.

By the way, what are the restrictions on characters? Let's say I play a Zoltan, can I do things like shoot lightning out of my hands while still carrying a blaster pistol? Or does "Zoltan space magic" count as a weapon?

Also, do you recommend people stick to the FTL template for aliens or encourage people to play as all sorts of non-canon species (and confuse the heck out of everyone as to what they can do)

Unfortunately, it will be a Pen-and-Paper sort-of RPG, so getting in the sessions are required for the rolls and such;

There never mentions anything as "Special character abilities"; That is the character form as in WHO is your character, backstory, name, profession, and such; the GM (Me) will review the form, read it thorougly, then after he/she is done she will add the character to a Character Sheet and a Character Description pages (Both in Google Docs; because it is easy) and will also define stats and bonuses depending on the characters backstory; but that info will be in the character sheet; That makes so the GM is forced to know the player better and they're more well balanced.

On the character species; Cmon, its a whole universe we're talking about! it IS going to be huge, and have many sentient species out there, and even more with FTL travelling;

I DO want players to stick to the default species, to make the RPG easier to understand when the characters are active and playing, but many NPCS will be of different species, as an example, Heiro Arashi Azure, who is an Altherian Pureblood, Species that naturally look like humanoid dragons (Scales, Fangs, Wings, Claws, A tail) but can absorb other species' DNA, and then transform estetically (I.E. They can take the shape of a human, reducing the size of their wings and tail and making their skin smooth, but their brain and internal organs stay the same, only moving to adapt to other species, there is a limiting factor, if, for example, they want to transform in a parrot, their body will change form to adapt Beak, better aerodynamics and larger wings, but their size will stay the same)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 19, 2015 3:10 am

Hanzz wrote:Unfortunately, it will be a Pen-and-Paper sort-of RPG, so getting in the sessions are required for the rolls and such;

Well I can always just create a character for the GMs to try out :D
Seriously, I can only do things on weekends and timezones will be an issue.

On the character species; Cmon, its a whole universe we're talking about! it IS going to be huge, and have many sentient species out there, and even more with FTL travelling;

Yes, but there sort of has to be a line. If everyone plays as a different alien species and no one ever plays as the defaults, then is it an FTL RP or just another sci-fi with the FTL species in it... somewhere.

I DO want players to stick to the default species, to make the RPG easier to understand when the characters are active and playing, but many NPCS will be of different species, as an example, Heiro Arashi Azure, who is an Altherian Pureblood, Species that naturally look like humanoid dragons (Scales, Fangs, Wings, Claws, A tail) but can absorb other species' DNA, and then transform estetically (I.E. They can take the shape of a human, reducing the size of their wings and tail and making their skin smooth, but their brain and internal organs stay the same, only moving to adapt to other species, there is a limiting factor, if, for example, they want to transform in a parrot, their body will change form to adapt Beak, better aerodynamics and larger wings, but their size will stay the same)

Y'know, I was gonna question how that couldn't work, but that'd make me a hypocrite considering my FTL fanfic. :lol:
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 20, 2015 12:17 am

Ok, let's see what I can come up with... maybe this could be NPCed if timezones don't work out...

Basics

Name: Rebekah Kalikfish
Place of Birth: Slave district, Mantis Hive World (KazaakplethKalik's domain)
Species: Humanoid (GM Earthling)
Social Class/Community Status: Former Mantis Slave
Language: Mantis (primary), Galactic (secondary)
Family/Friends/Pets/Etc: All deceased or in chains.

Physical Description

Height: Average
Weight: Average
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green
Limb Dexterity: Ambidextrous
Detailed Physical Description: Rebekah is blue-skinned and looks rather athletic in appearance. On her back is a large tattoo of claws indicating her past life as a slave to the legendary Mantis thief.
Typical Clothing/Equipment: She is normally seen in a Federation Blue uniform with a energy blade for self-protection and a multi-tool for spot repairs on ships.

Personality/Attributes

Personality/Attitude: Surprisingly well-adjusted considering where she was raised from. She after all had to rely on support from her community in order to survive. Considering it was a Mantis colony she also had to develop a violent side. This can be seen under high-stress operations or in battle. But for the most part she can be seen as supportive towards others, although if they start complaining about how harsh their life was, she tends to butt in with tales of her past to shut them up.
Skills/Talents: She is skilled in the art of small melee weapons, using them in a similar fashion to Mantis warriors.
Favourites/Likes: Freedom, Mantises
Most Hated/Dislikes: Slavers, Mantises
Goals/Ambitions: To seek out a new life in the Federation
Strengths: Excellent in close combat.
Weaknesses: Does not take retreating very lightly, even if tactical.
Fears: Being recaptured and forced back into the Fighting Pits
Hobbies/Interests: Sparring
Regular Routine: Training, keeping in touch with her fellow liberated slaves and sometimes a few Mantises she had fought (in more ways than one)
Philosophy of Life: Life your life and then live it differently once someone from above comes down and says "You're free!" Also, not everyone is your enemy.
Attitude Toward Death: It happens every day. On the streets or in the palace. But you move on and hope it's not you or your friends who'll be seen next.
Religion/Beliefs: One of those Mantis gods.
Fetishes/Strange Behaviors: She developed a liking for Mantises after becoming a personal servant of Kazaak. Turns out the green bugger with his big red ships has a liking towards the blue...
Education/Special Training: Street Skillz (of the Slave Colony variety)
Place/Type of Residence: Used to be some shack, then the slave quarters, now some Federation barracks with other Federation soldiers
Place of Work: Federation Officer Training Academy
Past Occupations: Mantis Slave Pit Fighter, one of many of Kazaak's personal servants.

Skill Sheet

Int: 2 (+5) (Not much time for book-learnin on the Slave Pits. Officer's training helps but still)
Wis: 6 (+5) (Street smarts yo!)
Cha: 2 (+5) (Raised in the Slave Pits. Not good for appearances or people skills. Although she can relate with other former slaves if needed)
Dex: 8 (+5) (Had to be flexible to fight)
Str: 5 (+5) (Strength didn't matter too much as long as you knew where to hit)
Con: 7 (+5) (Had to be tough to keep fighting)

---------------

Essentially Rebekah is a blue-skinned Human who used to be a Mantis slave, turned Federation soldier now that her planet was freed from the Mantis thief's tyranny. She's been trying to fit into the new society and make something of herself, rather than the limited career advancement options the Mantis put upon their slaves.

Also, if any characters say things like "My life is harsh because my parents were shot in front of me when I was a kid" Rebekah can say "My parents were forced to fight each other in the Slave Pits. The winner got to eat that day. They ate the loser."

Is that the sort of person who'd be perfect for a scouting run? Rookie soldier, put onto a small ship with others and perhaps forced into command (or at least joins with everyone else) through unfortunate circumstances?
dark33hawk

Postby dark33hawk » Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Ohh an RPG! I have alway wanted to do one :D ! I will try me best with timing but like Stylejr, it can be a hassle so possible npc for this one.

Name: Winter
POB: an unknown ice planet
Species: lanius
Social class: outcast before signing in the shrike fleet
Language: Mainly lanius speak but he knows broken galactic from a translator as a roommate.
Family,freinds and pets: no records of family or friends but has a pet rock named felsig

Height: 6"5 (2.5M)
Weight:90kg (200lbs) kinda light for a being of metal right?
Hair: N/A unless you want a wig, which is still no
Eyes: neon blue
Limb dexterity: ambidextrous
Physical Description: not very wide so you could say his build would be lean and sinewy. He has special plates on his sides that increase and decrease the oxygen draining rate (that has a lot to do with my backstory) and one of his blades on his back has been tainted light green and is easier to break than most (still a tough task).
Clothing: black duster with red stripes throughout and a red bandanna tied around his neck. Black leather braces and boot so you can see where the feet and arms are. Carries a doctor bag for first aid and for felsig as well as a standard federation carbine plama rifle and can stretch his arm which can change into spikes for close range or if he wants to reach for somthing.

Personally: generally very helpful and always wants to help. Is very emotional and remembers grudges for a long time. Really likes everyone else except for zoltan, who tainted his spike (not that one! Get your head out of the gutter.).
Skills and talents: can shape metal and drain air very easily and has a natural talent as a doctor
Fav and likes: happiness, his rock, space travel and how the medbay works.
Hate and dislike: zoltans and everything to do with the cold like ice and snow and AC
Goals and ambitions: for felsig to be a person (or AI) and to be a doctor as well as to fully understand galactic.
Strengths: great for first aid and loves to talk and listen and can stop draining oxygen for a few hours
Weaknesses: emotional and hates to hurt people He knows and when he hold his drain for too long he will pass out
Fear:He hates the cold because he also fears it and will curl up and drain the Oxygen when he's trapped in cold
Hobbies and interests: burning passion to be a doctor (but no one wants to be a patient...) and will often be found tinkering around the medbay when it's not being used and will help the medbay when it is being used.
Routine: get up, eat breakfast, either tinker with the medbay or on his station, dinner, hibernation
Philosophy: if a oxygen draining alien that has blades on his back and can transform his hand into spikes at any time wants to be a family doctor, then let him. (No one believes him though)
Death: the loss of a person and a good chance for a dissecting (he learned the latter from experience)
Religion: an ancient (and possibly imaginary as he is the only lanius he found to have believed in) group of people called "Metallica" that's gives good luck to lanius
Fetishes/strange behavior: no comment
Education: shrike fleet training for ship stuff but his most valued teacher of the art of medicine has only one true name;the Medic from a few old surgeon videos (and a popular free to play pc game!)
Place: abandoned sector 7 aptly named the "forbidden zone" from humans
Past occupation: shrike fleet for life yo! Primarily the part that worked with the federation seven years ago, got fired because of...the sound of medicine. And the fact that ten Feds were reported missing and the bad smell from his room were actually three rockman,two slugs,four humans and an Engi were dissected. He kept voice notes that were full of screaming and his response was "it was the sound of medicine and progress".

Int: 8 quick thinking for a quick "doctor"
Wis: 5 I know a lot of stuff, just anything that's medical can be difficult
Cha: 3 a lanius doctor doesn't sound to trustworthy but he's fine with other lanius
Dex: 6 can't fumble around with his tools (not that one! Jeez man this is twice a post!)
Str: 2 he want to heal, not hurt
Con: 7 his tissue has been so used to medical treatment, it's just easier. Scientists have tried and failed to explain it.

Despite not having any licensed document saying he is a doctor, he is one of the best at what he does. And that's why he's here.
I've grown Scales since I left. But now I'm soaring again. Off to save the Federation and have fun!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Now I'm wondering if alien species get base stat bonuses? Rockmen naturally getting higher Strength and Constitution but very low Dexterity (I'd say lowered Intelligence but that's stereotyping them as dumb brutes. Besides, that's a Mantis thing.)

Engies naturally being robot/cyborg/things get bonuses to Intelligence and Dexterity, but low Strength (Constitution notwithstanding since they're as tough as Humans but maybe they're fragile).

Or is the stats more of a general thing based on how far apart they are from the "average" of their species. So a Rock could have 5 Constitution (with a +5 bonus) but they're tougher than a Human with 5 Constitution and +5 Bonus.
So a Rock with a Constitution of 0 (+5) would be made of sandstone :lol:
Or as tough as a repugnant alien.