[Gotta Get More Scrap!] Stores Buy Consumables

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

[Gotta Get More Scrap!] Stores Buy Consumables

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm

What is this?
A mod that gives you more chances to sell consumables, by adding additional event choices to all normal stores. Two types of consumables can be sold at preset quantities at each store.

Download Stores Buy Consumables (and pay little) (MediaFire)
The "balanced" variant. Stores buy at 1/4 of the goods base value, which makes the trades pretty redundant. Might still help you if you are a few bits of scrap short for a system or a piece of gear you wish to get.
Install with Slipstream Mod Manager.

Download Stores Buy Consumables (and pay well) (MediaFire)
Stores buy at 1/2 of the goods base value, which basically gives you a lot of free scrap during the run if you don't require missiles or drone parts.
Install with Slipstream Mod Manager.

Why can't i just sell the stuff in the store window?
Cause thats not how modding FTL works.

Compatibility?
Won't work with any mods that modify store events.

I did very little testing with this, but it should work fine. Report any problems in this thread please.
redlerred7

Re: [Gotta Get More Scrap!] Stores Buy Consumables

Postby redlerred7 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Gonna test this out on an all-laser ship. Let's see how much extra scrap I manage to collect by selling all my missles
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Interesting concept. Maybe instead of trading for scrap, you only allow trading for other resources?

Maybe like:
10:1 trade missiles for fuel
7:1 trade missiles for drones
20:1 drones for fuel
5:1 trade drones for missiles

You could offer "fuel for ..." as well but it'd be pretty rare that someone would make THAT trade.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:16 pm

5thHorseman wrote:Interesting concept. Maybe instead of trading for scrap, you only allow trading for other resources?

Maybe like:
10:1 trade missiles for fuel
7:1 trade missiles for drones
20:1 drones for fuel
5:1 trade drones for missiles

You could offer "fuel for ..." as well but it'd be pretty rare that someone would make THAT trade.

I'd rather be paid in cash thanks :P
It goes a lot better than having 30 units of fuel for the Last Stand.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:58 am

stylesrj wrote:I'd rather be paid in cash thanks :P

Sure it makes it easier to win, but I'm spitballing ways to make it still nice but actually be balanced. This setup shifts the balance toward laser spam and ion/beam setups, both of which are already some of the strongest setups in the game. They also make missiles even worse choices.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:31 am

5thHorseman wrote:
stylesrj wrote:I'd rather be paid in cash thanks :P

Sure it makes it easier to win, but I'm spitballing ways to make it still nice but actually be balanced. This setup shifts the balance toward laser spam and ion/beam setups, both of which are already some of the strongest setups in the game. They also make missiles even worse choices.

And? Missiles pretty much suck anyway. Forcing people to carry around parts they cannot use isn't very fun now is it?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:57 am

stylesrj wrote:Forcing people to carry around parts they cannot use isn't very fun now is it?

Yes, but that's precisely the thing. If you have a whole bunch of drone parts stockpiled, it makes you more likely to consider purchasing a drone system, because you already have the drones to support it. Same goes for missiles stockpiled and missile weapons. The reason FTL devs didn't add the ability to sell resources--and this was on purpose--was to encourage the player to try different strategies.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:00 am

NarnKar wrote:Yes, but that's precisely the thing. If you have a whole bunch of drone parts stockpiled, it makes you more likely to consider purchasing a drone system, because you already have the drones to support it. Same goes for missiles stockpiled and missile weapons. The reason FTL devs didn't add the ability to sell resources--and this was on purpose--was to encourage the player to try different strategies.

That stockpile means nothing if you don't have a Drone Control System because you bought a Teleporter, Cloak and Mind Control (or had those already)

Also, what's 15 Drone Parts/Missiles going to do against the Flagship if you don't have the weapons/systems for them. Wish I could have sold them off to the war effort before venturing forth.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:03 am

stylesrj wrote:And?

And there's an Easy Mode already in the game. I don't want to install a mod for "easier mode"

But I'm sure many people want/need just that so I'm all for the mod existing. I was just trying to think of a way it would be attractive for ME to install.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:34 am

5thHorseman wrote:And there's an Easy Mode already in the game. I don't want to install a mod for "easier mode"

But I'm sure many people want/need just that so I'm all for the mod existing. I was just trying to think of a way it would be attractive for ME to install.

Maybe there should be two versions then. Easier Mode where you get scrap for consumables and Exchange Mode where it can only be swapped for other consumables.

Hey Sleeper, will this be integrated into Captain's Edition/a version made to be compatible with CE (like at the store instead of selling trade goods, open up the Consumables Trade)