Unbeatable flagship save?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
JonasTheRoman

Unbeatable flagship save?

Postby JonasTheRoman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello commanders,

Well, I just can't manage to beat the flagship in stage 1 with the Zoltan Cruiser Type C.
The flagship hacked my weapons, so I tried to damage their hacking. Unfortunately the cloak synced up with the now repaired hacking in a way keeping me from being able to fire anything. Now they are hitting me with missiles every now and then, slowly bringing me to my grave... Maybe somebody knows a solution?
Weapons: Ion Blast II, Halberd Beam, Chain Laser, small bomb
Augments: Stealth Weapons, Zoltan Shield
Systems: Drones, Stealth
Here's the save:
http://www.filedropper.com/continue
(Watch out, missiles incoming!)

Man, if just my defense drone wouldn't have missed the hacking drone in the beginning... Or if just I wouldn't have decided to damage the hacking system. Or if just I would have decided to buy a teleporter, despite my weak crew.
I went in this battle with full health and eager for victory. That's how things can change, I guess. :D

There was already a similar thread here sometime ago, but I don't remember how it turned out.
stylesrj

Re: Unbeatable flagship save?

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Have you tried jumping away and coming back and hope that it hacks another system? I tend to not shoot down the Hacking Drone and deploy the defence drone after the danger has passed, because if you try and shoot down every hacking module that appears, you'll be biting your nails in fear it'll hit something important.

Drone Control is the most common victim :lol:

Or is the Flagship knocking at the Federation's door and if you jump away, instant defeat?
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:46 pm

stylesrj wrote:Or is the Flagship knocking at the Federation's door and if you jump away, instant defeat?

Yep, exactly that! :lol:
Of course it had to be exactly the one run where I wanted to try out if you can still liberate the base if you're jumping the turn where the counter says "1 turn left"... :(

I like destroying the hacking drone with my defense drone, because it gives you some more time without hack plus there's the chance that the flagship runs out of drone parts and you are completely save from hacks the entire battle!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:01 pm

JonasTheRoman wrote:I like destroying the hacking drone with my defense drone, because it gives you some more time without hack plus there's the chance that the flagship runs out of drone parts and you are completely save from hacks the entire battle!

I'd by lying if I said I didn't try this as well...
But yeah, it happens to me a lot on the Mantis B actually. The Hacking Drone hits my Drone Control, which isn't too bad since the only thing I was using it for was the Defence Drone and it's useless once you take out the missiles...

But yeah, perhaps you shouldn't destroy the Hacking Drone, because it's timed roughly with the enemy's cloak. So all you lose really is 10 seconds as your guns don't charge during a cloak, but that gives you about 20 seconds of charge...
Disrupting that charge means it can make your game unbeatable as your guns can't be brought to bear.
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:50 pm

Well, I guess that's what just happened. With the difference that I didn't destroy the drone itself, but the hacking system. The result is the same, unfortunately.

Actually I never had this problem before. I managed a few times to destroy every drone part the flagship had, so I followed this strategy again. Of course it also happened that the defense drone missed and I got hacked, but I still managed to pull it of every time, as far as I remember. I guess I just hadn't had the combination of being hacked in the weapons AND the hack being timed badly. Until now! :(
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:49 pm

JonasTheRoman wrote:Well, I guess that's what just happened. With the difference that I didn't destroy the drone itself, but the hacking system. The result is the same, unfortunately.

Actually I never had this problem before. I managed a few times to destroy every drone part the flagship had, so I followed this strategy again. Of course it also happened that the defense drone missed and I got hacked, but I still managed to pull it of every time, as far as I remember. I guess I just hadn't had the combination of being hacked in the weapons AND the hack being timed badly. Until now! :(

I've also had the problem where I cloak during the missile strike and the Hacking Drone stops mid-flight... I uncloak and the drone now has a perfect flight towards my Drone Control :(

I tend to not try and disrupt Hacking as the process only works during a time you were not going to do anything anyway. You only lose 10 seconds of gun charge during the cloak and you have 20 seconds between them. So that's 30 seconds of charge - enough for even an Alpha Strike followed by a Glaive.

So bad luck on the run, try again and don't try and disturb the Hacking flow :lol:
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:29 am

Yeah, thank you!