5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
RAD-82

Re: 5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Postby RAD-82 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Re: Fregatidae Hard Mode 1 - Season 4 Episode 154

(only take this if you have an [ion weapon], [cloak] or an [Engi crewmember])

You had a stun bomb. That counts for an ion weapon. You skipped out on some free stuff. That is around 13:40.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 pm

RAD-82 wrote:Re: Fregatidae Hard Mode 1 - Season 4 Episode 154

(only take this if you have an [ion weapon], [cloak] or an [Engi crewmember])

You had a stun bomb. That counts for an ion weapon. You skipped out on some free stuff. That is around 13:40.

As I said on the YouTube page, "I use it so infrequently I forgot that it counted as an ion weapon."
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Re: Fed C, ep 155

I think I would have kept the Chain Laser. Boarders could maybe take down Shields so you could use it. Also would have upgraded the Flak Artillery, not bought Reconstructive Teleport. I sometimes call this ship the Fregaticide. You've got a Clone Bay - use it! Be ruthless and send your crew on airlock patrol, at least the boarders.

That would extend the run, but not necessarily to Sector 8. I hate this ship - it was the last of all the ships I got into the Hard win category.

(Edit) Re: ep 156: D'oh....

Hey, at least you got to triple digits in score! LOL

I board with the Mantis and a Zoltan, which powers the TP, and that power isn't "in use" while the TP cools down. Best of bad options, I guess. You lose a power by having a Zoltan as Pilot. And when it's cloned, you get a power back, for use in the Clone Bay, or wherever it goes - or at least another crew for damage control - until the Mantis is cloned and you TP back for more.

Rinse and repeat. Or maybe the Flak Arty will finally take the enemy out.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:53 pm

I actually do switch over to Zoltan-Mantis boarders in the easy mode run that will start on the next episode. Someone suggested I watch a different LPer and that strategy was really cool. However, that guy also got a free Small Bomb in like sector 1 which really, really helped him.

What I like about the Zoltan/Mantis strategy is it takes your Mantis less time to regenerate in the clone bay, because the Zoltan started early so there's almost never a line. Plus that extra 15 damage to everybody when the Zoltan dies is good too :)

I also like that a LOT of early ships have an ion and "something else" that does one shot, laser or beam, or a beam drone or something. And this ship by default is immune to those. I didn't think of that in the first run and didn't have a chance to use it in the second run, but I take advantage of it in the third.

At least until... well no spoilers :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: Friggin' Fed C, ep 160

See what happens when you play on easy? You play badly, shoot your avatar and let him die, uncloned, because you were too slow to pause/power up the Clone Bay, and you feel horrible, even though you won with 20 HP. /smh
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 pm

The Captain wrote:Re: Friggin' Fed C, ep 160

See what happens when you play on easy? You play badly, shoot your avatar and let him die, uncloned, because you were too slow to pause/power up the Clone Bay, and you feel horrible, even though you won with 20 HP. /smh

Hey I didn't make the rules. I just play by them. I lost on Hard, had to play Normal. I lost on Normal, had to play Easy. At least I won. As ugly as it was.

Actually I did make the rules. :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:55 pm

End of episode 162

When your Engi gets mind-controlled, it sounds like you don't think they can break the system they are attacking. Of course they don't because you send in a distraction. Just a reminder, battle skill only applies to fighting other people. An Engi can bust a system just as fast as a Mantis.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:46 pm

Yeah that's 2+ years of misconception that's going to take more than a couple playthroughs to go away.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:21 pm

End of episode 163

I think you would have had a chance in that second phase fight if you had recalled your boarders. They weren't doing anything important once the shields were down, so they became inefficient as long as they stayed on the flagship. Since one of them was Engi, you might have been able to get that hull repair drone up.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:58 pm

I would have kept that Laser Charger Mk I that you sold in ep 162 - hell, maybe even the Mk II as well. I don't know why you kept all missile & bomb weapons - makes no sense to me. Just keep one of the bombs. And the Laser Chargers are much less "garbage" than the Swarm Missiles - that would have been the first thing I sold. I mean, missing three times on a target with no evasion??? WTF?!?!