[SHIP] The Abductor

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[SHIP] The Abductor

Postby NarnKar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:04 pm

"Beam me up, Scotty!

Wait, Scotty, please don't suffocate me AAAAAAAAAGHCK--"

The enemy crewmen fell over, choked to death by the void of space. A system repair drone wheeled its body out the airlock, letting the corpse drift through the stars.

On the bridge of the ship, a slug crew drew a tally mark on the wall. One more dead for the count. Sure, it was a little cruel--but all things considered, it was a clean way of disposing of enemy crew. No explosions to dodge, no blood to wash out. No hard feelings, of course, towards the enemy crew. It was just business.

The Abductor
A devious slug-rock hybrid dedicated to abducting enemy crew. Mind control enemies, then "return" them to your ship using the teleporter, then watch them suffocate.

The Abductor is a gimmick ship (well all my ships have gimmicks, really); it's a simple mod I made to take a break from some of my more work-intensive mods. Hence the relatively low-effort custom art.

The goal of this ship isn't necessarily to win, but to abduct as many enemy crew as possible. Mind control and a teleporter have already been installed for this purpose.

The ship, as she is meant to be played.

Since the teleporter is disconnected from the rest of the ship, there's no risk of enemy crew moving out of the teleporter (and out of the airlock). Drone control is in case the teleporter breaks, since it's inaccessible from the rest of the ship. Level 2 shields should let you tank a lot of early-game damage (aside from missiles). Lack of usable systems could make for a tough flagship fight (since your crew can't use the teleporter, and eight systems means you can't install any more).

This is where I'd go into detail about the ship's custom weapons. This ship doesn't have any, however. It didn't really need any and I didn't feel like going through that hassle.

Download version 1.0 here.
Replaces the Kestrel A.

Attributions:
-Mod assembled in Superluminal 2.1.0d. Yes, I still haven't updated.
-FTL resource library

Changelog

v1.0
-original forum upload.
Whishkey

Re: [SHIP] The Abductor

Postby Whishkey » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:37 pm

I really loved the intro! :D
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Huh, an excellent idea. I should make a video of this ship mmediately!

Although what happens if you get a missile into Drone Control? The teleporter won't be able to be repaired and the gimmick will fail quickly...
Unless of course you put the mind-controlled guy onboard to fix the system before they get freed...
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:57 pm

I did not factor in the drone system's ability to break. Shit. SHIET.

I may have to include a repair bomb with this ship or somethin'.
theDoomBox

Postby theDoomBox » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:21 am

Aw man, I had the exact same idea for a ship. Although it was more along the lines of you have a weak crew such as some zoltans, but the only way out of the teleporter was into the medbay forcing the enemy to fight you where they cant hurt you.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:25 am

NarnKar wrote:I did not factor in the drone system's ability to break. Shit. SHIET.

I may have to include a repair bomb with this ship or somethin'.

Yeah I'm recording the video now and well... crap indeed. Flak II to the centre.
At least you accounted for Lanius boarders.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 am

Yay! You made a 4-man-teleporter ship that's not super OP to the point of ridiculousness!

However, you don't really need a 4-man teleporter, do you? You could instead have a 2-man teleporter?

The "destroyed drone bay" problem is a bad one. I'd consider dropping the drones altogether, adding a weapon slot, and essentially requiring the player to keep the repair bomb for that just-in-case event. Then the shop would at least have ONE free system slot for upgrades.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:22 am

5thHorseman wrote:
However, you don't really need a 4-man teleporter, do you?

No, but four man teles are cool.

5thHorseman wrote:
The "destroyed drone bay" problem is a bad one. I'd consider dropping the drones altogether, adding a weapon slot, and essentially requiring the player to keep the repair bomb for that just-in-case event. Then the shop would at least have ONE free system slot for upgrades.

Noted. I think part of including the drone system was also to have an anti-personnel drone in the dronebay, so that Lanius/Ghost abducted crew could be taken out with ease, as stylesrj pointed out. So I might include the repair bomb and the drones. But that feels a little bit redundant.

I could also make the ship an autoship and add crew through events, but I did this ship as a stress-free one and I haven't learned event coding yet...so I think trying to code an event would negate the "less intensive" purpose of this mod. :P
Last edited by NarnKar on Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:27 am

There's some good news at least with the Destroyed Drone Bay problem.

Enemy crew will happily go fix it for you AND if you leave a drone in the bay (like the AP Drone) the repair progress will stay for the next guy.

I also recommend putting airlocks on the Drone Bay. So you can vent out Drones, put air back into the Teleport and play Airlock Musical Chairs as they run about trying to find something to breathe..

P.S: If you need event text, just rip the event text and augments from my Zoltan ship mods (Defendant, etc) and replace Zoltan with Rock and Slug.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:49 am

Sorry for the double-post, but my video is up (or nearly up. Stupid YouTube and processing)

http://youtu.be/CBDlTwvzG4Q

Take a look.