[Ship] Reynos Stealth Infiltrators

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [Ship] Reynos Stealth Infiltrators

Postby stylesrj » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:25 pm

I've recorded a run with this ship (which I'll post a little later) and I have to say, it's as overpowered as the Lanius B or the Crystal B.

As in, if you know what you're doing, you can get some excellent results and fights will result in little to no damage to your systems and hull. But at the same time, those ships can be screwed over through little fault of your own (Crystal B was automated ships, Lanius B was the Clone Bay failing and this one is Drones).

But yeah, it's still rather fun and not completely overpowered.

redlerred7 wrote:For vanilla FTL, this ship is balanced solely by the cost of everything, especially in hard mode where the scrap rewards are lower. Unfortunately, there are certain game exploits that can be used that will make for 0 wasted drones parts in fights against drone defended ships (I'm speaking of the turning hacking off en-route to the target just as the defense drone fires and then turning it back on after the shot passes over it)

I used that trick in my video. Seriously where the heck did you find that out? Because that is amazing!
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:40 pm

stylesrj wrote:--snip--
Where the heck did you find that out? Because that is amazing!

Well, I found out by watching a speedrun, but I believe there's also some mention of it in the tips and tricks thread
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Here's the video of my run:

http://youtu.be/th-JKEpw6iE

If the link doesn't work, well it's probably being processed thanks to Youtube wanting to do extra technical crap that doesn't do anything (I'm talking to you optimiser!)
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Nice run. I gotta say, I was really amused when you realized how many airlocks the ship has. If you haven't noticed, ALL of my ships have a ridiculous number of doors that open out into space.

Any excellent use of that exploit. If I knew about that before, I'd have used hacking as often as I did now.

Still a bit miffed that you messed up my username though. Then again, it isn't the first time people mispronounced it. I just got so used to not putting in a space that I forgot that it isn't obvious that there should be a pause in there.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Nice run. I gotta say, I was really amused when you realized how many airlocks the ship has. If you haven't noticed, ALL of my ships have a ridiculous number of doors that open out into space.

I'm one of those people who think all ships have low numbers of vents into space. Or at least that's how I design my ships. I don't know optimal airlock placement... one every 2 rooms? When it looks like it should be a docking port?

Any excellent use of that exploit. If I knew about that before, I'd have used hacking as often as I did now.

I wonder if the same could be done for combat drones when facing anti-drones? Since they have a long reload time.

Still a bit miffed that you messed up my username though. Then again, it isn't the first time people mispronounced it. I just got so used to not putting in a space that I forgot that it isn't obvious that there should be a pause in there.

Hey, people mispronounce mine all the time. Styles-R-J by the way :)
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:26 pm

stylesrj wrote:I'm one of those people who think all ships have low numbers of vents into space. Or at least that's how I design my ships. I don't know optimal airlock placement... one every 2 rooms? When it looks like it should be a docking port?

When I think FTL design, I think: Have an air lock in every 4 tile room and in every other 2 tile room.

I wonder if the same could be done for combat drones when facing anti-drones? Since they have a long reload time.

Nope. They'll still get hit even when you power them down. Besides, they have a charge-up time between when they turn on and start moving. In that time, your drone will have already been shot at again.

Hey, people mispronounce mine all the time. Styles-R-J by the way :)

Well, I sort of figured that one out when I watched the video since you say your name. Originally, I thought it was Style S-R-J. Styles-R-J sounds way more coherent
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 pm

My personal preference for airlocks is "wherever it makes sense". I usually go a little over the standard, such that each room is fairly easily ventable, but I also try to keep in mind whether that airlock location makes sense with respect to the ship hull. "Airlock in every room" is a bit...too much, though, IMO.
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 pm

NarnKar wrote:My personal preference for airlocks is "wherever it makes sense". I usually go a little over the standard, such that each room is fairly easily ventable, but I also try to keep in mind whether that airlock location makes sense with respect to the ship hull. "Airlock in every room" is a bit...too much, though, IMO.

Well, considering I built the hull with that in mind, all of the air locks make sense, at least for these ships. The sides of the ship, engine exhaust and in-take ports. Places like that
For Type A, only the front of the ship has any real venting difficulties, and even then, it still pretty much matches the Red-Tail in terms of airlock effectiveness.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:58 am

Nope. They'll still get hit even when you power them down. Besides, they have a charge-up time between when they turn on and start moving. In that time, your drone will have already been shot at again.

Huh, I thought when a drone powers down, it drifts or stops drifting so the blast would overshoot. Then you have 10 seconds to get a shot in before it tries again.
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:21 am

stylesrj wrote:Huh, I thought when a drone powers down, it drifts or stops drifting so the blast would overshoot. Then you have 10 seconds to get a shot in before it tries again.

Nah. That ion hit box is a bit too big to dodge. It's gonna get hit and by the time you can power it up again, the anti-combat drone has already reloaded. It's possible to get lucky though and have the shot miss. Not sure how likely it is though. It's only happened once for me