[SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Dirossrob

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED FOR AE!

Postby Dirossrob » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:20 pm

RAD-82 wrote:It looks to me like Dirossrob was asking about systems, like weapons/drones/shields. Those are also found in the blueprints file. They have a maxPower value, but you also have to provide them with an upgrade cost.

5thHorseman wrote:Edit out ALL nebulas from the game.

Pretty sure you meant ion storms. :geek:

When going into the blueprint files, I found this:
</slot>
</sensors>
<shields power="2" room="5" start="true" img="room_shields">
<slot>
<direction>left</direction>
<number>0</number>

So, which of these would I edit, or am I doing it wrong :P (btw, I used notepad to open it. Is there a special tool I'm supposed to open it with?)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)FEAR THE OMNIPOTENT NOODLE!!11!!1!!one( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Dirossrob wrote:So, which of these would I edit, or am I doing it wrong :P (btw, I used notepad to open it. Is there a special tool I'm supposed to open it with?)

You're in the right file, but wrong area. And Notepad is fine though I prefer Notepad++ :)

Look at the top of my file. I actually define how "shields" works up there. And weapons just below it, and drones below that. Most notably the max power and then giving scrap costs to upgrade each tier.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Well, I finally got around to trying this on hard. It's so frustrating when you only weapon keeps getting taken out. And it takes so long for the Engi to get there from Engines. I wasn't sure I'd get out of the first sector. Then I wasn't sure I'd ever get my second shield layer. I got L2 Engines before L3 Shields, then wondered if I should have waited on Engines to get to L4 Shields faster.

But of course, I had to pay for repairs before getting to L4 anyway. So much scrap I spent on repairs! I even jumped back to a store to get more, because there were two stores next to each other at the beginning of sector two, and I didn't think I'd see another store.

I wondered how I'd ever get to L2 weapons (60 scrap!) after buying a Flak Mk I. Oh, that was after wondering if I'd ever get another weapon. Had to run from a few ships with two shield layers. If you can call it "running" with only L2 Engines.

Things were better after I got the Flak up. Got through the next two sectors, though I felt I was behind the curve. I never got Drone Control with a Defense Drone. Nor was I ever able to afford Cloaking. Maybe I could have gotten Hacking, but was repairing instead. I did hire a 2* Weapons Human, as I hadn't gotten any free crew before then. I limped into sector 5 with hull in the red, and though Engines were at L4, you can't dodge every missile. Didn't find a store, so had 5HP going into the second encounter of the sector, and of cousre they had a missile weapon. Got blown up.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:07 pm

The Captain wrote:Well, I finally got around to trying this on hard... Got blown up.

That's about what I wanted people to experience with this ship on Hard. :D My only hope was you went into this thinking, "Pfft. 60 power to start. This is going to be a cakewalk."
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:11 pm

The Captain wrote:I wondered how I'd ever get to L2 weapons (60 scrap!)

60 scrap? Considering it is only 40 scrap for vanilla FTL, that must be a penalty for using this ship.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:26 pm

RAD-82 wrote:
The Captain wrote:I wondered how I'd ever get to L2 weapons (60 scrap!)

60 scrap? Considering it is only 40 scrap for vanilla FTL, that must be a penalty for using this ship.

It is. I had to change all the tiers for weapons, shields and drones to unlock higher potential (har!) levels for them, and while doing so I figured I'd kick the player around a bit.

Though IIRC it was higher pre-AE, no? I seem to remember it being more than 40 but I don't know what it was, nor do I even know if it was.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:59 am

5thHorseman wrote:
The Captain wrote:Well, I finally got around to trying this on hard... Got blown up.

That's about what I wanted people to experience with this ship on Hard. :D My only hope was you went into this thinking, "Pfft. 60 power to start. This is going to be a cakewalk."

Ha! You wish! I played this ship back in Basic Normal, so I had some idea.

Systems being targeted more in Hard plus a long distance for the Engi to go stern-to-bow makes it really tough. Even if I had made it a bit further, I was concerned about trouble getting a third weapon or Hacking. Not to mention Cloaking and/or Drone Control_+ Defense Drone Mk I. I really needed more free repairs. :lol:
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:37 am

The Captain wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:

Ha! You wish! I played this ship back in Basic Normal, so I had some idea.

Systems being targeted more in Hard plus a long distance for the Engi to go stern-to-bow makes it really tough. Even if I had made it a bit further, I was concerned about trouble getting a third weapon or Hacking. Not to mention Cloaking and/or Drone Control_+ Defense Drone Mk I. I really needed more free repairs. :lol:

I haven't played in a long time (and barely at all in AE, mostly just to test to make sure it didn't crash the game), but back in the old version I found that ignoring repairs until the ship was almost dead helped a lot. And Scrap Recovery Arms. 2 if you can, or 3 :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:39 am

Seemed like I was almost dead a fair amount. But I suppose I could have repaired a little less sometimes - say to 15. Probably would have gotten blown up sooner, though.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:26 pm

The Captain wrote:Seemed like I was almost dead a fair amount. But I suppose I could have repaired a little less sometimes - say to 15. Probably would have gotten blown up sooner, though.

Oh I always repair to 15. With my most successful Potential runs I didn't repair at all until I was under 5.

This was on Normal mode before AE was a thing, though. Maybe the ship is simply too hard for Hard mode.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB