The Nighthawk Stealth Fighter [SHIP]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

The Nighthawk Stealth Fighter [SHIP]

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:00 am

I was looking at the thread by zuesman101 with the Federation Stealth Bomber and I thought... "Hey why not create a Stealth Fighter?"
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26802 (Thread in question)

Anyway, this is the Nighthawk Stealth Fighter.

Ship features:

Potential Systems:

It replaces the Stealth B, because technically it's made from parts from the Stealth B. Even the Glaive Beam is from the Stealth B. I'd say it's a far superior version of the Stealth B, but since the Glaive Beam is now an artillery (the cooldowns are the same as the Federation Cruiser's) it takes 50 seconds to deliver the fatal blow and a pre-igniter won't do much in cheesing through battles.
Plus there's one less layer of cloak and it has dual lasers, because frankly it's the best gun in game next to Advanced Flak.

Download the ship here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q84aof1721htqx6/Stealthfighter.ftl

Notes:
The ship has only one gib. When destroyed, it rockets ahead, perhaps to fight another day. Also, making gibs is hard.
The shading isn't quite right on many parts. Again, making proper shading and glows is hard and I'm not a good artist. I do recolours and splicing mostly.
I've sneakily raised the effectiveness of the Titanium System Casing from 15% to 25%. Probably won't help but everyone complains how the DA-SR12 doesn't have it while the Nesasio does.
The artillery may or may not be mannable. Doesn't work for me but the code's in there indicating that it should be possible. I don't know how the Flagship does it.

Videos:

I do a playthrough of this ship... as best as I can play a Stealth Cruiser.
http://youtu.be/ZRZKKxjVvgU
Last edited by stylesrj on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NarnKar

Re: The Nighthawk Stealth Fighter [SHIP]

Postby NarnKar » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 am

I could foresee this ship having great, great problems.

The idea, I guess, of the stealth cruisers, is to avoid enemy guns and quickly disrupt their ability to fire. Stealth A and C can quickly deal 2 damage to weapons systems: a dual laser strike and a mini beam sweep. Stealth B can end ship weapons by, well, ending the ship.

This, however, can't effectively disrupt weapons. It can only do one point of damage per salvo, leaving enemy weapons only marginally crippled. In addition, it can't evade damage long enough for the Glaive to fire off.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:35 am

NarnKar wrote:I could foresee this ship having great, great problems.

The idea, I guess, of the stealth cruisers, is to avoid enemy guns and quickly disrupt their ability to fire. Stealth A and C can quickly deal 2 damage to weapons systems: a dual laser strike and a mini beam sweep. Stealth B can end ship weapons by, well, ending the ship.

This, however, can't effectively disrupt weapons. It can only do one point of damage per salvo, leaving enemy weapons only marginally crippled. In addition, it can't evade damage long enough for the Glaive to fire off.

Hence why you have to prioritise upgrading your artillery or purchasing Hacking as soon as possible. At Level 4, this thing has a faster firing rate of the Glaive Beam. In fact if you can acquire a second one, you've got twice the firepower AND power left over for a shield disabling weapon.

I've done a few quick runs with this ship myself. I could get to the end of Sector 1 without too much damage on Normal. I even braved a couple beam ships by quick use of the cloak and quick rerouting of my team. The rooms are quite nicely space close enough that anything can be fixed by anyone rapidly.
Didn't go beyond Sector 1 though as I had to change a few visual things and they wouldn't take effect unless I started a new game.

In fact I would have moved on to Sector 2 in another one of my runs but the choices were both uncharted nebulae and even though I had scanners, I decided to reset after a few tweaks. It was a good run too. Got a Breach Bomb II from letting an enemy ship live. They really didn't like the Level 2 Glaive.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:42 am

What is this? people making there own Stealth Fighters/ Bombers/ etc?

I will now go off and try to make a lore friendly stealth ship.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:49 am

R4V3-0N wrote:What is this? people making there own Stealth Fighters/ Bombers/ etc?

Hey the Nighthawk is lore friendly... if you assume that there's more than one Flagship and each run is an attempt to save that part of the galaxy. Obviously someone found a smashed up Stealth B, repainted the parts and made a new ship out of it.

Sounds implausible? The galaxy is a huge place. The Rebels certainly built a lot of flagships.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:48 pm

I've done a quick run of this ship.

http://youtu.be/ZRZKKxjVvgU

It's a quick run because I'm terrible with Stealth Cruisers even on Easy :(
Also, RNG was not in my favour.
zuesman101

Postby zuesman101 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:29 pm

great ship. I was doing a run through with it, but i god boarded by mantis and my crew got devastated. I really like the hull image.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:21 pm

stylesrj wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:What is this? people making there own Stealth Fighters/ Bombers/ etc?

Hey the Nighthawk is lore friendly... if you assume that there's more than one Flagship and each run is an attempt to save that part of the galaxy. Obviously someone found a smashed up Stealth B, repainted the parts and made a new ship out of it.

Sounds implausible? The galaxy is a huge place. The Rebels certainly built a lot of flagships.

I am not saying this isn't 'lore friendly' however what I am saying that this ship doesn't really fit the bill of the Stealth Cruiser.

The "Federation" Stealth Cruisers are commissioned by the Engi to produce a high technological advance warfare platform to go take down the Rebel threat. Due to this and to aid the stealth technology the ship is painted dark colours to match the surrounding space and avoid being visually seen.

This is also the fact that it isn't Federated humans making the ship but Engi.

This is for the type A obviously.

The following ship is designed along the following lines after the a single Federation ship recaptured the Stealth cruiser and got it back to the Federation, This allowed the type B to be developed as a reconnaissance glass cannon- like ship.

This is hinted to be instead a collective program between the Engi and the Humans. However the project is still dominated by the Engi.

The Stealth cruiser type C is a collaboration between the Engi and the Zoltans (post Zoltans rejoining the Federation perhaps). This ship uses the zoltan shield instead of the stealth to get by. which is an experiment and powered by a drone. No human involvement either.

There is a so called "Type A II" which is the version the Rebels got and modified before the federation. This has 3 Artemis (1 power) missiles and a breach missile. This ship also starts with a shields system.
No camo spec change and it is still the type A but in Rebel Control.

Recap = no human built the Stealth cruiser A, A II, B, or C. The
Just slight contribution to the B. and slight modification to the A II.

This ship above doesn't follow the aesthetics of the stealth cruiser, isn't in the A, B, or C colors but instead in traditional Federation colours and has a slightly odd crew for a standard federation ship.

I am not smashing it across the face as this being a bad ship. But I am not saying it is a Engi Developed ship lore wise. This looks like something a human would make and as usual the humans and there clumsy technological stance there is a hardwired Glaive beam with ai aim.

I do think this ship should start without sensors though. I do like the splicing work. I do not often see this combination.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:40 pm

zuesman101 wrote:great ship. I was doing a run through with it, but i god boarded by mantis and my crew got devastated. I really like the hull image.

Thanks. Although I think the middle part with the engine needs some work. It's like someone strapped a Federation Cruiser's engine to the bottom of a Scout :lol:

Heh, boarding is definitely an issue with the ship. Only a 2-person medbay so more than 2 boarders can pose a problem when venting the whole ship. Even if the teleporter is 2-person, I like to have a 4-person medbay on most of my ships.

R4V3-0N wrote:I am not saying this isn't 'lore friendly' however what I am saying that this ship doesn't really fit the bill of the Stealth Cruiser.

The "Federation" Stealth Cruisers are commissioned by the Engi to produce a high technological advance warfare platform to go take down the Rebel threat. Due to this and to aid the stealth technology the ship is painted dark colours to match the surrounding space and avoid being visually seen.

I tend to think the colours are there because the Engies said "Humans like black coloured ships when it comes to a Stealth Cruiser" because otherwise the Red-Tail would fool Rebel ships. So it's probably an issue with IFF.

I also think that if you can spot a ship outside of your ship's structural weakness, then something has gone horribly wrong. But FTL's logic can work differently to what real logic is (Ram the bastards! Yeah but space is big and that ship probably can see you coming and dodge. But it works anyway!) so colours perhaps do matter :lol:

The Stealth cruiser type C is a collaboration between the Engi and the Zoltans (post Zoltans rejoining the Federation perhaps). This ship uses the zoltan shield instead of the stealth to get by. which is an experiment and powered by a drone. No human involvement either.

Yet at the end, there are no Engies or Zoltan onboard the ship. In fact it seems a Slug got their way onboard.

There is a so called "Type A II" which is the version the Rebels got and modified before the federation. This has 3 Artemis (1 power) missiles and a breach missile. This ship also starts with a shields system.
No camo spec change and it is still the type A but in Rebel Control.

Heh, now I'm imagining the ship in Rebel orange and blue. To the image editor!

This ship above doesn't follow the aesthetics of the stealth cruiser, isn't in the A, B, or C colors but instead in traditional Federation colours and has a slightly odd crew for a standard federation ship.

Ask the Osprey about the choice for a Federation ship. Human, Rock, Mantis(!) and an Engi.

I am not smashing it across the face as this being a bad ship. But I am not saying it is a Engi Developed ship lore wise. This looks like something a human would make and as usual the humans and there clumsy technological stance there is a hardwired Glaive beam with ai aim.

Well the description does say it was taken from a wreck of a Stealth Cruiser. I remember there was another ship mod where someone took a Stealth Cruiser and did the same thing - welded a Glaive Beam onto the ship. But I think it had other guns and shields too.

I do think this ship should start without sensors though. I do like the splicing work. I do not often see this combination.

Yeah the sensors don't seem needed for a glass cannon artillery. But then again, where else are you going to put Charlie the Mantis when you've got more crew?
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Well the Federation Cruiser is set post victory or post putting the universe back together.

With the Zoltan rejoining the Federation. The Mantis is a common species and is found everywhere. Pirate ships often have them, Obviously common on Mantis ships. Is aligned with the Rebel Faction as well, etc.

The Rock has complicated relationships with the federation. They are not part off it but they seem to be at a neutral situation with them. You can see a rockman working in the hangers lifting cargo and stuff. So there is signs at least a small group of rock are with the Federation.

The reason camouflage would work is just to not be as noticeable visually. Not all ships have a functional IFF or sensors. Some events nad ships do not even have anything besides a window to work with.

Even in a world with sensors camo is still needed. Look at the real life B-2, that thing is in a world where radar dominates but it is still painted black (night) and grey shades pixel (day, kinda like stealth type B)

As seen with the other 2 types the camo is a thing that is present in FTL.

And raming isn't that easy to avoid. Ramming is more harder to avoid then a missile in some situations. You got the fact you are a huge ship that doesn't have a good specific impulse to go stop suddenly to avoid the hit.

But anyway, all I wanted to do is just make a 'correct' stealth fighter or bomber. What you have here is a federation one. My one is a Engi commissioned ship.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.