[SHIP] The Apeirohedron

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[SHIP] The Apeirohedron

Postby NarnKar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:20 pm

An engi drone researcher stood over a Combat II drone, registering an emotion roughly akin to disappointment. "Unit appears to be defective," it remarked. "Main thruster does not function. Status: unrepairable. Conclusion: unusable."

"Unusable?" its zoltan friend asked, dismissing the notion. "Nonsense! Come with me friend; there's science to be done!"

The Apeirohedron

A basic laser takes 10 seconds to charge. But a laser with the same firepower--in addition to mapping computers and impulse thrusters--can be installed on a fully automated unit, and with less cooldown time to boot! Strange, isn't it? Now if only you could make that firepower your own...

This ship mod attempts to do exactly that, attaching a Combat II to the ship as an Artillery system, sacrificing a drone slot to do so. Although it has the same foundation as the vanilla drone-ships, it's not quite the same 3-weap 3-drone build you're used to.

Its artillery, the Combat II, is a 1-shot 1-damage laser that has a base cooldown of 3 seconds. True drones have their firing speed determined by their movement speed, but I couldn't do that, since this drone doesn't move. From reviewing footage, I concluded that the average firing rate of a Combat II is about 1.5 shots per second. If you want to put 4 power into artillery, then you'll get that fire rate--just like putting 4 power into a Combat II.

Because this ship has seven system slots, it can only install one more system. Thus, additional systems are all in the same room (marked as the teleporter, but supports hacking, mind, cloaking).

Download v1.0 here.
Replaces the Kestrel A.

Videos:
Vanguard of Valor's twitch stream
Too bad Twitch deletes stream broadcasts after a while... :cry:
stylesrj's playthrough on Youtube

Attributions:
-Superluminal 2.1 D for assembling the ship mod.
-Various gibs from vanilla FTL resources.
-A turret's gib from CE resources.
-An anonymous FTL player, for originally pointing out the power of drones.

Changelog:
v1.0: Initial forum upload.
Last edited by NarnKar on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
R4V3-0N

Re: [SHIP] The Apeirohedron

Postby R4V3-0N » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 am

It took me a bit before I realized that it was using a drone mk II as a weapon :)

I was actually planning on using drone as weapons (such as drones filled with explosives to the enemy ship like a slow missile that evades level 1 defense drones due to being thought of being a drone instead of a projectile that can harm)

But never thought of it being a weapon like this xD

I may pinch the idea for my overhaul mod... also. Do I have permission to modify this ship and have it in my mod?

It's quite a good looking ship.

I may 'connect' it so it makes a full loop but besides that nothing much will be changed.

(Don't expect any existance of this thing being in my mod until like next year. I still have not much of a clue on how to put enemy ships in events and in game :oops: )
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:45 am

Go ahead, lift away! If you need any of the resources (.psd of the ship hull or other things), feel free to ask. All I ask is a credit somewhere.
rannl

Postby rannl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 pm

Nice job NK! Looks very nice.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Whoa, hey, a Vanguard of Valor run! Niiiiiice. Thank you, Vanguard!
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:11 am

NarnKar wrote:Whoa, hey, a Vanguard of Valor run! Niiiiiice. Thank you, Vanguard!

record it? ;)
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:47 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:record it? ;)

I don't have screen recording software. Fortunately, the twitch downloader service was still able to service this broadcast (they can't do some of the newer broadcasts for some reason).
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:55 am

It was a fun little ship! That artillery drone is a powerful thing indeed, but I really liked the idea and the design of the ship in general. Thanks for making it!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
DinosaurDino

Postby DinosaurDino » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:24 pm

So is this a thing with this ship, that it gives you OP weapons by the end of the 4 sector?
It gave me a vulcan, charge inon, halberd beam, a flak mk 2, 1x def drone mk2 and 2x def drones mk 1 (I sold the mk 1).
I also had the opportunity to buy a hvy laser mk 2 (which i did) .
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:50 pm

DinosaurDino wrote:So is this a thing with this ship, that it gives you OP weapons by the end of the 4 sector?
It gave me a vulcan, charge inon, halberd beam, a flak mk 2, 1x def drone mk2 and 2x def drones mk 1 (I sold the mk 1).
I also had the opportunity to buy a hvy laser mk 2 (which i did) .

Obviously you had a good RNG. Although I question those weapons you say are OP (unless you got a pre-igniter)