On the subject of SPAM

General discussion about the game.
Kieve

On the subject of SPAM

Postby Kieve » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:43 am

Hey guys, sorry for the mess lately. I've had other priorities IRL and haven't been keeping up with the housecleaning around here like I usually do. Cleanup is currently ongoing, but fear not - these foul beasts shall be purged with fire soon enough.

Also, a reminder: Much as it may amuse you to do so, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM TOPICS.
Not only does it bump them up in visibility (that's bad, GIR), but it makes them tougher to get rid of afterwards.
-Do not reply to spam.
-Do not quote spam.
-Do not eat the spam.
-There is no spam.

Thank you for your cooperation.
*/reloads bancannon*
DarkPhoenix141

Re: On the subject of SPAM

Postby DarkPhoenix141 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:34 pm

PREPARE FOR BATTLE
This is no easy mission...

BUT YOU SON. YOU WERE BORN FOR IT.

And remember:

GODS WILL BE WATCHING
Artror

Postby Artror » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:33 am

How do we normally eat the spam ? :D
The joke aside, im new to this forum, so can you explain what you consider as spam ? Thx in advance :)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:18 am

Artror wrote:How do we normally eat the spam ? :D
The joke aside, im new to this forum, so can you explain what you consider as spam ? Thx in advance :)

It's very obvious here when you see it. These bots are not subtle at all. They peddle tennis shoes, watches, weight loss plans, anything. They rarely try to hide it and you can almost always tell by the title what it is, if not the content of the post.

I'd say if in doubt, don't reply to a post. And if you're making a post and trying to be vague and clever with the title, don't do that because you may not get any replies.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Artror wrote:How do we normally eat the spam ? :D

Spam topics, as 5thHorseman said, are generally pretty easy to spot. Pretty much anything that smells of advertisement and isn't 1) an indie game 2) posted in the Indie Games forum.

What you need to know though, is I'm talking specifically about spam-bots seeking to peddle their garbage on this forum. Users who want to "spam" topics with a copy-pasted message or some nonsense - that's another matter and generally doesn't result in a bancannon to the face, unless those messages later turn out to have advertisement links in them. That's not to say it isn't dealt with (although it happens very rarely, that I've seen), but it's not the kind of spam I'm referring to.
r543

Postby r543 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Good to see that the bot spam will be removed. I have a question about bumping topics, is there a set rule about this ? I've noticed that some AE posts(for example ranking the C ships) haven't gotten posts since a long time, this Forum doesn't have that many people online per day, so topics don't get updated that much, but is the bump rule here the same as on other Forums ?
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:04 pm

r543 wrote:Good to see that the bot spam will be removed. I have a question about bumping topics, is there a set rule about this ? I've noticed that some AE posts(for example ranking the C ships) haven't gotten posts since a long time, this Forum doesn't have that many people online per day, so topics don't get updated that much, but is the bump rule here the same as on other Forums ?

There isn't really a rule, but as you said - not a high-traffic forum. Not much reason to 'bump' unless you're either directly seeking feedback on something, or have thoughts of your own to contribute to the discussion.