[SHIP] The Tardis (currently not working - v03 in dev)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gencool

Re: [SHIP] The Tardis (currently not working - v03 in dev)

Postby Gencool » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Why thankyou!

Heh, the Vworp sound *is* actually in there (check the audio folder, or the first comment in this thread), but to avoid extra coding I just replaced the file. Turns out, the jump sounds were changed from .wav. to .ogg in the update, hence the lack of vworps when loaded post AE. Been fixed now.

The Cyber laser is slightly more complicated than you picked up on, actually; If you shoot a system, it does 1 system damage and 1 hull damage. If you shoot an empty room, it does 2 hull damage. The net gain is that you can take down a ship really quickly if you focus on shooting empty rooms; it's actually weaker when fired against systems, even though it's strategically more useful to do so.

Double damage against systems is a nice idea, actually, but I was trying to make a slightly more tactically minded weapon.

The screwdriver's been re-built to match how I originally wanted it, now that some of the bigger bugs have been cleared out, but I'm keeping that secret as part of the reveal. Hopefully, alongside the quieter sound effect, you'll want to keep it around for longer. Originally the Regen events required the screwdriver to work, but I think I've found a decent way around that. Oh, also, the Regens are /way/ cooler now!

I originally thought about putting the cloister bell as the alert sound, but it's a bit quiet and not attention grabbing enough for FTL's high-risk gameplay. I shall definitely listen through that video and see what else there is, though, cheers!

As for events, I've been thinking about it recently. My next lined-up release (The Sleigher) has a few CE-only events already coded, so I'm starting to get to grips with the system, but I can't think of any decent, easy to implement events for the Doctor. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Oh, and, anyone who's still wanting to play this; it *is* being worked on, just slowly. I'm currently running two jobs which makes things a bit tricky to balance.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
williamcll

Postby williamcll » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Do you have time torpedoes?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:37 am

No, I always walk this way, hardy har.

Sorry, I just looked them up- I only really know the show cannon (quite a big fan of original and new series, but never got into the comics/books, even though I've enjoyed the odd radio show and some of my colleagues worked on the animated adventures)

There's some interesting timelord weaponry in there, though. Im not quite sure FTL is completely able to replicate it, but I shall definitely try! First thought is it could possibly have a missile that locks down and stuns in equal duration... Kinda like a bubble of paused time, right?
ImageImageImage
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:30 pm

Hmm.. I do seem to recall the Cyber laser doing 2 system damage as it hits a system.
Looking at the description it had then proves my point.
If it says 1 normal damage and also says 1 system damage, it will do 2 system damage.
1 from the normal damage AND 1 from the system damage.
It's why you see some weapons have -1 normal damage or -1 system damage depending on what you want it to do (only system damage or only hull damage). At least that's what I learned from playing a ton of CE...

The cloister bell sound is actually something I would really have in there... I know it doesn't immediately screams "DANGER ! DO SOMETHING YOU *** !", but there's always the warning lights flashing to let you know the important stuff, and you could always boost it's audio.
Then again, don't let me tell you how to do your mod, seeing that I'm currently busy making my 1nd one and I have yet again run into an issue where I'm relying on others to fix it. (Thankfully the community here is great)

Well, as long as the regen doesn't completely wipe out your crew, then it can only get better. Don't know if events can actually kill more then 1 person, but it happened 2x in the vid where I only had 1 so... can't be sure.

Events, yeah I can see what you mean. I suppose you might be able to invoke other crystals for this as they aren't that often used or something, it's been ages since I went to the crystal sector so I can barely remember more then 2 events. Or seeing that the doctor is a reskinned crystal you might want to do something with that. As in actual events... can't really help you with that. And I suppose you don't have to have them either.

Anyway, be sure to let me know when you're ready to release this one, go yell at me on my channel or something ;) and I'll give this one another go.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Ok, better explination;

'Damage' takes 1 point of health away from the ship, and one point away from any system it hits.
'Sysdamage' only takes one point from systems, not the ship.

The laser does 2 Damage on empty rooms, or 1 Damage + 1 Sysdamage on system rooms.

The net gain is that hitting a system room hurts the system by two points, but only hurts the ship by one, whereas a hull shot hursts the ship by two. As such, it's effective against systems (knocking out two levels), but damages the target more if aimed at empty rooms.

I'm putting tardis on hold till Sleigher's done, just 'cuz christmas, but I shall definitely get in touch =D
ImageImageImage