[VisualMod] Crew Diversity (Crew'D) v001

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gencool

[VisualMod] Crew Diversity (Crew'D) v001

Postby Gencool » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:16 am

UPDATE:
HI!
So, I know a few people still use this (lots of lovely images on reddit - thank you all so much!)
As far as I know, the mod works fine, but I've been away for a while and there are one or two requests/problems that users have found since I've been gone.

If there is still a calling for it, I will happily release another update once my current project is complete.

Thankyou!
-Jon/GenCool/Puppetsquid

Crew Diversity v001

Latest Download Link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33495735/CrewD/CrewD_v001.ftl

About:

Wassup you lot? I've been away for a while and I'm going to be pretty busy for the next few months, so I figured I'd blast this out tonight-

A working, if not totally complete, edition of Crew Diversity for FTL.

What Is It?
For some reason, I like to get to know my crew before I send them to their inevitable deaths.
Using new code from the Advanced Edition, I pieced together a mod that would help give each crew member even more personality, by making each one look unique.

Features:

Variation
The main aspect of this mod is to add new visual elements to the beings you meet across the galaxy:
  • Skin tone (to a much higher degree than vanilla)
  • Hair and eye colour (where applicable)
  • Clothing (including new threads for some non-humans)
  • Bodytype (Check out those rockmen!)
  • Prop and Effect colours

Each race has several of these attributes, which are randomised for each individual, and certain attributes are 'rarer' than others.

Selection Discs:
As part of making the mod not interfere with game readability, the normal outlines of each crew member have been replaced with 'Selection Discs'. Your crew are Yellow, or Green when selected, whilst the enemy are marked with Red.
Personally, I've found this also helps me keep track of fights with more accuracy than the default outline.

Lore Building and New Animations:
The act of adding new elements meant that I could experiment a bit with the existing lore of the races.
The biggest change is that Zoltans now look much more powerful - pushing them away from recoloured humans and towards beings of pure energy (also heavily inspired by some of the great concept art already out there).
There are also new phenotypes of Mantis and Slug, and a greater range of age and ethnicity with humans (bordering on Star Trek levels).

How To Use It:

The download link is currently on Dropbox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33495735/CrewD/CrewD_v001.ftl

You'll need Slipstream to run it, as it uses Append files.

It should work with any mod, however it will overwrite any changes to crew stats or images (so things like altered costs, or the crew portrait mods, will be reset to vanilla values or plain overwritten, respectively)
If playing with CE, load this second, as otherwise Crew'D will have pretty much no effect.

When in-game, you should notice the difference straight away.
In the hanger, you can also hit 'Customize' under your starting crew, and flick through a never-ending heap of alternate character skins, although it make take a while to find one you're looking for.

What's Missing?

So, since this is a rush job, I haven't got everything I want done.

• Crystal and Lanius are still completely Vanilla (although they *do* have selection discs)
  • Engi edits are currently restricted to eye colour, as I haven't had time to do anything cooler
  • Certain colours are a tad garish, or don't work together, sorry about that but it's pretty tricky to test this stuff, but give me a shout if you spot anything that doesn't work
  • Some of the characters have alternate animations I was experimenting with, and occasionally things won't line up perfectly because of this. Let me know if you notice anything glaring!
  • I know some people may like a version without the new Zoltans, but I personally love them, and I havn't made the modifications for the default version yet.
  • There's still a load of stuff I'd like to add. Maybe soon.

That's it for now!
Hope you guys enjoy this - leave me comments on any bugs you find or stuff you'd like to see, and hopefully I'll get another chunk of free time soon to do a v002!
Last edited by Gencool on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:42 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Russian Rockman

Re: Crew Diversity [CrewD] (v001)

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:12 am

Welcome back Gencool!!! Nice to see that you've still been working on this.

I don't see why people would not like the new Zoltans, personally I like the idea of them being more unique and less like "recolored humans". I am not sure about the 'speckles' of energy around them though since I actually like the glowyness of the vanilla Zoltans.

Anyway, I see that you have 3 types of Rockmen now! And some new kinds of Mantis as well. Did you find a way to make blonde humans? I ask mostly because I am blonde and always felt a little left out. :lol:
rannl

Postby rannl » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:54 am

Great job Gencool! I love the new slug, looks bad ass.

Seconding RRs blond hair request, Rockmen with blond hair should be a nice touch :lol:
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks guys!

Rocky: Honestly, the sparkles barely show up in-game (check out the screenshots), and I always thought the originals 'glow' was quite dark... sounds odd... it's hard to explain.

Realistic blonde doesn't work so well, but there are a few variations of yellow in the hair that should do the trick (I actually just updated the file with a couple more from work - I can't open the game here, so if you could check them that'd be ace)

Yup, 3 Rockmen, though I had to delete the vines and energy cracks for now as I messed up the spritesheet. No hair on them yet, though, Rannl, sorry! ^^
ImageImageImage
Russian Rockman

Re: [VisualMod] Crew Diversity (CrewD) v001

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Also, rannl reminded me that I did forget to mention that the new Slugs are definately awesome!!! I love the additional feelers they can have!

And one of the things I've loved since you sent me the first sample was the glow on the Zoltans 'face.' It gives them a lot of personality. I'll see how the speckles show up in game, I didn't mean I didn't like them, I'm just used to the glowy Zoltans. :)
KoolTheKid

Postby KoolTheKid » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:17 am

Glad you got the brought the mod back to life!
I hope LordTrilobite sees this so he can make a patch to make this compatible with Crew Portrait Graphics!
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:56 am

Unfortunatly the two edit the same sheets, so aren't compatable without one of us using the other's work or doing our own unique version - really it'd have to be a collaberation thing. I love the portraits, but I also think it's important to have the full body view so you can see all the changes that are being made to the crewmember.
I'm sure something could be worked out :)

Also- has anyone had time to try this out yet?
ImageImageImage
KoolTheKid

Postby KoolTheKid » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Gencool wrote:Unfortunatly the two edit the same sheets, so aren't compatable without one of us using the other's work or doing our own unique version - really it'd have to be a collaberation thing. I love the portraits, but I also think it's important to have the full body view so you can see all the changes that are being made to the crewmember.
I'm sure something could be worked out :)

Also- has anyone had time to try this out yet?

Really as long as this gets made I don't mind.

You can only see the portrait graphics in the roster menu, everything else is unchanged except the clonebay.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm

There was a time I was thinking of making full-body, front-on sprite for the display pics. Might revisit that at some point.
ImageImageImage
MOMO

Postby MOMO » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:29 am

This mod is great i'm loving it i thought CE was the mod that changed the crew as much as possible but this is one proved me wrong wonderful so far keep up the good work. :D