What things would you like for a possible contentpatch

General discussion about the game.
Stealth

Re: What things would you like for a possible contentpatch

Postby Stealth » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm

In contrast to harder and tougher modes others suggested, I propose an Exploration Mode. Basically, nullify the rebel feel completely, and have the game play out as more of an exploration game, so the player could have a chance to really explore all the locations in the sector, do all the quests, fight all the combat encounters etc. As far as the inter-sector jumps go, one-way would be nice, but bi-directional would be even better so we could explore absolutely everything. Maybe there could be a special achievement or unlockable for each ship class that manages to explore the entirety of the sectors?
The official FTL noob (tm)
amcoops

Postby amcoops » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Games that are predominately text-based, and/or have very little in terms of visuals, usually make up for it in other aspects. I first saw FTL on a youtube video before release and was immediately hooked on the gameplay mechanics, which is one of the aspects I mentioned earlier. The other aspect is depth, a huge advantage for text-based games is that they can focus all their capacity on making a deeper game; an example of this is Football Manager, a hugely popular football manager simulator.

Now for me FTL is lacking in depth, it needs plenty of DLC if it's re-playability is going to hold up. Anything will do to be honest, everything could do with being expanded but there is something in particular that I would like to see; an endurance game mode. The problem with FTL's storyline is that every game you play is rushed, you are slowly (granted), but surely pushed towards the finish line. Now this isn't usually considered a problem, but when there are no other game modes to play, it can get frustrating. If any of you are like me, you'll want to take your time, explore the area as much as possible, upgrade your ship as much as you can, but it seems it's not possible to become are truly fearsome captian.

So my suggestion would be a separate game mode, called 'Endurance'. In Endurance there's nobody chasing you, you are free to explore as you like, however, as you move forward in a new never-ending, randomised universe, your foes get increasingly more difficult, to the the point where you will eventually die if you continue travelling forwards, your score is then decided on how far you got in the universe. So you can become the fearsome beast everyone wants to be, with four fully charged weapons, fully shielded, fully cloaked, and full of drones; even if it does inevitably end in your death. :D
jBrereton

Postby jBrereton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm not sure if it counts as content or not, but one thing the game could really do with (if possible) is Steam Cloud support.

The other really great thing would be, as other have said, some kind of Exploration Mode without the rebels chasing you (but maybe still with the Last Stand at the end?).
garethmagis

Postby garethmagis » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:29 pm

I made the necessary changes to a fresh data.dat file and uploaded it [here](http://www.mediafire.com/?ti56y0k13wk5y0s).

* Find your resources folder under the FTL game folder.
* For Steam users: *\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\resources*
* **Make backups of the dat files there**
* Replace the original data.dat with the one I uploaded

The changes should come into effect when you start a new game or enter a new sector.

Note: I have not tested this with an old savefile.

Carbon copy of this reddit post

http://www.reddit.com/r/ftlgame/comment ... ble_fleet/
The New Romance

Postby The New Romance » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Fighting space monsters sounds pretty great :D
Durus

Postby Durus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Hanger+
Ability to start new games with crew members from a previously successful play through.
Balancing Options
Could limit Crew numbers to ship's default starting number of Crew
Could limit Crew selection to crew who have survived a trip on that particular ship.
Could set it so a single Crew member can be taken to future games on completion. (Super Captain Durus!)

Would be pretty sweet to get my Human Captain to max out a bunch/all skills.
Mawnee

Postby Mawnee » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 am

One feature I'd like to see is the ability to select crew members for "away team" excursions. Losing a crew member or two is bad enough. But it always seems to be my most skilled guy :(
Brunopolis

Postby Brunopolis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 am

I would like to see 3 things. Controllable away missions, crew gear, and unique crew.

Firstly, regarding controllable away missions. It would be similar to sending your crew to an enemy ship but much larger(possibly a scrolling area). Sending your crew into a derelict vessel, defending a research station, etc would make the game much more varied. Maybe your ship gets ambushed while some of your crew is on the away mission leading to a much greater sense of urgency. Does your ship with only a single crew member try to fight the enemy ship alone or do you buy time so you can race your crew back to help out?

Gear for your crew. Such as laser/plasma guns and rifles, personal shields, combat drugs, grenades, emp bombs, passive boost items, etc. They improve your stats, change your attacks, and can be use-able items. A plasma shotgun might reduce your range but give you high damage splash damage while a laser rifle would simply increase your range and damage a bit. EMP bombs are used in enemy ships to disable systems while grenades might flush out enemy crew out of a specific room.

As for unique crew I would simply make every crew member you get come with a special quality/item. Maybe at the beginning you get to choose each crew member's specialization(half fills that crew members experience bar for that skill). Another example is when receiving a crew member in an event rather than just getting a random generic crew member you get Jimmy Jones the expert pilot(comes with a neural interface item and an improved pilot stat) or Sh'rak the Mantis Assassin(comes with a plasma shotgun and an improved combat stat). This way you might actually get somewhat attached to your crew and care when something happens to them.

Obviously, this is a complete wishlist but it would definitely add a lot of meat to the game and make it a lot more varied. What do you guys think?
MasterBP

Postby MasterBP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:09 am

-More ships, weapons, drones, events, and races (obviously)
-A longer version of the campaign
-Sandbox mode
-Hard mode
-More systems/subsytems (Science lab, Bunk, Armory, mannable weapons, etc.)
-Benefits from being manned for every system/subsytem
-Being able to sell fuel/missles/drone parts at vendors
-Create-your-own-ship
-An official "No timelimit" mode for the campaign
-Bigger ships with larger crew sizes (multi deck 20+crew kinda deals)
-More layouts for existing ships
-More types of star systems
-Mannable fighters
And that's all I can think of for now.
ALSO
-More costumes for crewmembers
-More video settings
Last edited by MasterBP on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sisaroth

Postby Sisaroth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 am

play as rebel and protect your flagship from those federation scum.