[Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v1.3.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: [Ship Alpha] The Randtrel v0.3

Postby rannl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:
rannl wrote:Is a 1x1 room problematic in some way ?

The game only has no-oxygen overlays for 1x2 or 2x2 rooms. This mod can be used to fix that, but like Rockman I personally favor vanilla room size. Keeping it real and stuff.

Thanks Sleepy. I'll fix this soon.
rannl

Re: [Ship Alpha] The Randtrel v0.31

Postby rannl » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:04 pm

Released update :

Changelog 0.31:
* Layouts updated to use only 1x2,2x1 and 2x2 rooms.
Russian Rockman

Re: [Ship Alpha] The Randtrel v0.3

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:07 am

rannl wrote:Is a 1x1 room problematic in some way ? I though it might be nice to have some variation, and I didn't wan't to change the internal images of the different rooms (keeping the same "feeling" to the Kestrel rooms). So using 1x1 rooms helped me make more layest that didn't have doors where room system imagery was present.

Sorry you had to lose the 1x1 rooms. :( It would have added some variety for sure, but yeah the no oxygen warnings would be weird otherwise.

rannl wrote:I'm not sure about randomizing the 4 weapons / 2 drones configuration. It's a defining feature for the kestrel, and didn't use a drone system with the system random asset pool. It might be a good idea when considering the engi cruiser, but somehow it didn't feel right to me doing it with the Kestrel.

I agree with you here, there should be 4 weapons / 2 drones on the kestrel. Even if you randomized the whole fleet I think the Engi ship should be the only one with two drones. I like that although you can randomize the whole fleet, you would like to keep the "defining features" of each ship in tact.

rannl wrote:I actually added a system layout with a clonebay instead of the medbay. I can certanly add a few more. I'm not sure about having a system set without any way of healing the crew. The slug B has a healing bomb in order to compensate for the squishiness of the crew. Then again, this could be a challenging random ship to play..... I'll give it some thought.

Adding a few more layouts with a clonebay would be fine, I've had second thought about making it 50/50 because the another defining feature of the kestrel was the fact that it had a medbay, not a clonebay. Good point on the problems with taking out a medbay entirely. Maybe that should be something reserved for the slug ships, and taking out the medbay could give the player a heal bomb instead.

rannl wrote:Augments can appear in a random ship. Some weapon configurations get the auto loader, and the drone amount randomization gives an augment if the random ship starts without any drone parts.
I don't want to add too many possible augments to the Kestrel, so it won't become too OPed.

I agree that the kestrel shouldn't be too OP with augments, but I thought it could be interesting to have things like the Drone Reactor Booster if the ship had more on board drones. Of course you can just use augments like the Auto-Reloader, Shield Recharger, Reverse Ion Field, and such that aren't reliant on you having drones or weapons or whatever... And sense you're sticking to the defining features, having things like Crystal Vengeance wouldn' make sense.

rannl wrote:The amount attribute of the droneList tag determines the amount of starting drone parts to the best of my knowledge.... am I mistaken ? The number of weapons/drones slots is determined by the weaponSlots/droneSlots tags, right ?

You are right, the weaponList and droneList tags do determine the amount of starting missiles or drones. And the weaponSlots/droneSlots tags determine the slots.

Code: Select all

<weaponList count="2" missiles="8">
      <weapon name="MISSILES_2_PLAYER"/>
      <weapon name="LASER_BURST_3"/>
   </weaponList>

But what I was confused on is there is an attribute called "count=" in the weapon/droneList tags. That just determines how many weapons/drones the ship starts with regardless of the Slots. The "drones=" and "missiles=" attributes determine the amount of starting missiles/drone parts the player starts with. In your meta_weapon_pool file you just call the attribute "amount=," which I assume just then overwrites to the "drones=" or "missiles="? So I guess there's nothing to worry about... :roll:

rannl wrote:As for the future of the Randtrel, that is entirely up to the comments I get here. I see no reason not to have both options - a fully randomized Kestrel and a partially randomized player fleet.
If you'd like to help create more randomly generated player ships, I'd be happy to provide a guide for adding more content to the Randtrel tool.

If you randomized the whole fleet how would you handle that? Would you have each ship type take from a separate pool? 10 pools for the different ship types?
I would love to eventually add some more content to the pool. Although, I could probably figure it out myself, a guide would not be a bad thing to have... ;) And I'm sure others will eventually add to the pool as well. Like I said, if you just lay the groundwork then it wouldn't be hard to eventually have 10 different pools for each ship type, assuming that's how you wanted to do that...
In the meantime, there's already a lot of potential Kestrel's now, and I think that's awesome. :geek:
rannl

Re: [Ship Alpha] The Randtrel v0.32

Postby rannl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:29 am

Thanks for pointing out a bug in drone parts generation RR.
Here's a fixed update.

Changelog 0.32:
* Fixed randomization of starting drones amount.
rannl

Postby rannl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:27 am

Russion Rockman wrote:If you randomized the whole fleet how would you handle that? Would you have each ship type take from a separate pool? 10 pools for the different ship types?
I would love to eventually add some more content to the pool. Although, I could probably figure it out myself, a guide would not be a bad thing to have... ;) And I'm sure others will eventually add to the pool as well. Like I said, if you just lay the groundwork then it wouldn't be hard to eventually have 10 different pools for each ship type, assuming that's how you wanted to do that...
In the meantime, there's already a lot of potential Kestrel's now, and I think that's awesome. :geek:

I'll post a guide later today which describes how assets can be added. If your willing to add more random content to the kestrel or other ships, I'd be happy to add you assets to the tool.
rannl

Postby rannl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:29 pm

rannl wrote:
Russion Rockman wrote:If you randomized the whole fleet how would you handle that? Would you have each ship type take from a separate pool? 10 pools for the different ship types?

I'll post a guide later today which describes how assets can be added. If your willing to add more random content to the kestrel or other ships, I'd be happy to add you assets to the tool.

Guide for asset creation has been added to the OP. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or PM me.
rannl

Re: [Ship Randomizer] The Randtrel v0.4

Postby rannl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:33 pm

The Randtrel is out of alpha (beta?), and now has a GUI for easier usage.
You can now also generate a random ship with CE content.

Enjoy!

Changelog 0.4:
* Added GUI for simpler usage.
* Added CE build for randomized ship (must have CE installed in order to use).
* Added the lanius to the crew random pool.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:36 am

Very cool idea, and a great twist on the original idea. I'd love to see this for all ships.

My one suggestion is to output a seed value when you run the program, so you could tell someone "Oh you gotta try 8137815461254. it's awesome!"

Of course you'd have to accept the seed at the command line as well.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:31 am

5thHorseman wrote:Very cool idea, and a great twist on the original idea. I'd love to see this for all ships.

My one suggestion is to output a seed value when you run the program, so you could tell someone "Oh you gotta try 8137815461254. it's awesome!"

Of course you'd have to accept the seed at the command line as well.

Very good idea with the seed! This would also be a great idea for the Random Flagship mod! ;)

Btw, don't forget to try the randomized flagship mod 5thHorseman, it really makes the game more fresh.

EDIT: I don't think a seed would work between updates in this case though, it would probably be better just to share the .ftl file itself, given the way this tool works. That was intentional.
rannl

Postby rannl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:14 am

Yeah, the seed is something I've been playing around with for a while.
The only issue is that seeds won't geneate the same output after updates which change the .jar file.
So I'll do a little research and try to find a solution for this issue.

Added credits in the OP, should have done this a lot earlier :oops: