[SHIP] The Wanderlust (ASB Cruiser)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[SHIP] The Wanderlust (ASB Cruiser)

Postby NarnKar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 pm

It's a ship with ASBs on it.

It's a ship with freakin' ASBs on it. Hell yeah.

The mercenaries in charge of this thing used to be stationed on a planetary turret, but ever since that planet was abandoned by the war front, they've been stuck, bored, with no work, and rapidly dwindling money. For one last rush, they decided to throw themselves at the Rebel fleet--after all, what use is a soldier with no war to fight, and what better war to fight than this one?

But honestly this is just a mod to try out twin artillery systems, and it's more of a testbed than anything. I've always wanted to make a cruiser with multiple artillery systems, and since Superluminal v2.06 supports Artillery creation I was like YEAHHHHH DAWG, and then I went and made this mod.

Here's some of the glitches and notes with two Artillery systems:
-the second Artillery weapon is always on, always steals one reactor power, and can't be powered off
-the second Artillery weapon always takes a system slot, even though you can't see it or upgrade it. for this particular cruiser, this means that you can only have one additional system on it. (whatever one you choose, make it count!)
-neither Artillery weapon receives the benefits of additional upgrades. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR ARTILLERY SYSTEM. DON'T DO IT. DON'T. IT'S BAD. STOP.
-both Artillery rooms use the same room art...for...whatever reason.
-New glitch pointed out by stylesrj: If you die and hit restart, your second artillery system disappears. You have to go to Hangar instead, and fly out from there.

Hopefully the insane initial power of this thing is offset somewhat. I mean, the ASBs are still laser type weapons, and they have the potential to miss. In addition, unlike the Vindicator, which can disable many systems at a time, this can only disable two at a time. And there's also the fact that you can only get one more system on this thing...

Anyway, screenshots, because those are good.
The Wanderlust, as it appears in-game
The layout.

The two ASB cannons. Each is a laser-type weapon that does 3 damage with 100% breach chance, and 30% chance of fire and stun. They take 20 seconds to charge. Being the ASBs that they are, they have 5 shield pierce.
The ASB's laser shot. It's a scaled-down version of Scooterbaga's ASB replacer (version 1). I hope he's cool with me using it here.
Technically, the hull of the ship, with two massive Artillery weapons mounted on the side to make it look like a complete cruiser. Because of FTL hardcode, animated Artillery weapons disappear when jumping. Lore-wise, the Artillery weapons have to be carefully folded into the cruiser to avoid damaging them when firing up the FTL drive.
P...probably.
That's definitely not just an excuse for poor planning, nope, definitely lore enhancement

Starting loadout

Code: Select all

30 hull, 7 reactor power
3 humans
level 2 shields (1 shield layer)
level 2 engines
level 1 artillery A
level 1 artillery B
level 4 weapons
-two weapon slots
-(no starting weapons, though!)
level 1 oxygen
level 1 doors
level 1 piloting
level 1 sensors

Replaces Kestrel A, as always.
Download here.
Last edited by NarnKar on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Russian Rockman

Re: [SHIP] The Wanderlust

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GG Rebels!!!
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:15 pm

Oh lordy I might have to try this out. What's it replace?
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:30 am

Replaces Kestrel A. Sorry, forgot to say that earlier!
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:33 am

Replaces Kestrel A. Sorry, forgot to say that earlier!

EDIT: Accidental double-post, sorry.
Last edited by NarnKar on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:36 am

Any chance of an alternate version that replaces Engi A? I'm pretty much running the ABCruiser all the time so it'd be awesome to be able to run both at once X3

Why yes I like that cruiser, hush
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:40 am

Here you go! This should replace the Engi A. Aside from that I've made no other changes, and it should work exactly like the version that replaces the Kestrel A.

In the future I may make a mega-mod compilation of all my ships, in case anyone wants to play them all at once or something.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:47 am

Whoo, thank-you~! And yessss, you should. That would be cool.
Kieve

Re: [SHIP] The Wanderlust (ASB Cruiser)

Postby Kieve » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 am

If you want to make the 'disappearing weapon' thing less noticeable, consider grafting any non-glowmapped / non-animated portions of the cannons into the hull image?

Also, I applaud you for getting this working :) It's very similar to the "Big Gun" weapon concept I had in mind for some enemy Incursor ships, but never got around to spriting and testing it, so I'm very glad to see it's functional!
NewAgeOfPower

Re: [SHIP] The Wanderlust (ASB Cruiser)

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 am

I posted that in his Mod Development thread ; )
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!