Save game editing

General discussion about the game.
raskolnik

Save game editing

Postby raskolnik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Based on some preliminary digging, it appears it would be a fairly simple matter to edit save games. A lot of the relevant data is stored in plain text, although there's some that's not. So far I've been able to change weapon load-out and equipment (i.e. shield charger, etc.). It's just a matter of figuring out what the game calls everything, which isn't always obvious. There does seem to be a system, though, and it may even be possible to get enemy weapons as well.

Changing crew names looks like it'll be easy; changing the race is possible, but not as simple. There's non-cleartext data that's involved in which race a person is. Pulling up a couple save games in a hex editor does show a pattern. I imagine skills/experience is stored here as well, but I would have to compare multiple save files to be sure and to figure out what the pattern is. Some of this may be more easily done by sifting through the resource/data files, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the main purpose of this post is to gauge interest. I could see the modding community having use for this (e.g. including a starting save game with a mod that's set up a certain way) or simply cheating. If there's interest, it's something I'm willing to pursue further. Really what I would need is many different save files to compare. And if someone has unlocked all the ships, being able to see your prof.sav would also be helpful. But again, only if this is something that could be useful to people.
Last edited by raskolnik on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StealthCl0wn

Re: Save game editing

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:48 pm

What I'd primarily like to see get done first is a GUI for all of this.
raskolnik

Postby raskolnik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Fair enough. It's been quite a while since I've played with Windows API in C++, but that could be kind of a hassle. The little bit I've toyed with C# makes me think that'd be easier, unless I went off into the hinterland of 3rd party API (e.g. qt or gtk).

Basically it's going to be enough re-teaching myself some of this stuff that I wanted to see if anyone cared before I put the time into it :)
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm

raskolnik wrote:Fair enough. It's been quite a while since I've played with Windows API in C++, but that could be kind of a hassle. The little bit I've toyed with C# makes me think that'd be easier, unless I went off into the hinterland of 3rd party API (e.g. qt or gtk).

Basically it's going to be enough re-teaching myself some of this stuff that I wanted to see if anyone cared before I put the time into it :)

That'd be awesome. I'd do it in notepad, but notepad editing is very picky. One wrong key press or space and the entire thing breaks the game D:<
raskolnik

Postby raskolnik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:55 pm

StealthCl0wn wrote:
raskolnik wrote:Fair enough. It's been quite a while since I've played with Windows API in C++, but that could be kind of a hassle. The little bit I've toyed with C# makes me think that'd be easier, unless I went off into the hinterland of 3rd party API (e.g. qt or gtk).

That'd be awesome. I'd do it in notepad, but notepad editing is very picky. One wrong key press or space and the entire thing breaks the game D:<

This is true. This is already what happened the first time I tried to change a crew member's race (the game freezes on clicking "continue."). But once I find where stuff goes, the programming side won't be hard (just a matter of reading from a file and then writing to a file in the write place ... so comp sci 101-level stuff).

Edit: alright, time to dust off visual studio....
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:58 pm

raskolnik wrote:
StealthCl0wn wrote:

This is true. This is already what happened the first time I tried to change a crew member's race (the game freezes on clicking "continue."). But once I find where stuff goes, the programming side won't be hard (just a matter of reading from a file and then writing to a file in the write place ... so comp sci 101-level stuff).

Edit: alright, time to dust off visual studio....

Excellent :D I can beta-test anything should you require it. I've got too much free time anyway, might as well.
raskolnik

Postby raskolnik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 pm

StealthCl0wn wrote:
raskolnik wrote:
StealthCl0wn wrote:Excellent :D I can beta-test anything should you require it. I've got too much free time anyway, might as well.

I appreciate that, and will doubtless take you up on your offer. The main thing I need is save games with various equipment/loadouts so I can figure out where everything is and what it's called.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm

I'll play 'till the start of Sector 8 and then upload my continue.sav here, using the Kestrel.
raskolnik

Postby raskolnik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:09 pm

StealthCl0wn wrote:I'll play 'till the start of Sector 8 and then upload my continue.sav here, using the Kestrel.

That'd be great, thank you. I'm focusing right now on the mystery of crew ... patterns are slowly emerging.
Arcalane

Postby Arcalane » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Crack open data.dat with the extractor tool and take a look at blueprints.xml - that'll tell you all of the weapon/etc. names without having to do shenanigans with multiple save files.