Shiny! UI Overhaul and Graphics Mod v1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.95 (Thanks for your feedb

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:06 am

Mr. Mister wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:-New enemy hull indicator with 3 sections. (Each section indicates 6 points of hull. Instead of the 4 points of hull with "tick marks. Let me know what you think.)

I still think dividing it into sections of 5 hull each makes it much more intuitive and easy to count quicker, even if (if no more than 3 different-looking sections can be done) the last one has more than 5.

Thanks Mr. Mister. And welcome back. What do you think about the rest of the mod? :)

The enemy hull bar can hold 22 bars. Why the Devs chose 22 I have no idea. What's even weirder is that it is separated into two sections of 11. :?

5 would probably be good, that's a nice normal number. I wanted to use 4 because that is the max damage possible from the most powerful missile. I can't really make more than 3 sections without making the hull bar either too big, or making each section less noticeable.

EDIT: @EVERYONE
I wanted to make an enemy hull bar that allows you to more easily determine how much health an enemy has at a glance. Too often in vanilla I found myself counting the tiny squares on the enemy hull bar.

Here are some potential options for the new enemy hull bar. I'm not exactly going to have you pick one of these, they should hopefully give you some ideas though and let you compare options. Tell me if you have any ideas for how you think the hull bar should look or if you like one of these... Some of you may not care, in which case, good for you I guess. :roll:

Vanilla Hull Bar:
http://i.imgur.com/wYrnv7X.png

sMPK Hull Bar: (This was my original inspiration to change the hull bar, but I think it's too hard to see the different "sections")
http://i.imgur.com/OIY1Otm.png

3 levels, 6 health each:
http://i.imgur.com/eVMCgEX.png

4 levels, 5 health each:
http://i.imgur.com/LBlDxGw.png

Hull Bar with "Tick" Marks:
http://i.imgur.com/sCbTTqO.png

Right now I'm using the 3 levels one, but originally I was using the tick marks one. Again, let me know what you think I should do.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:-New enemy hull indicator with 3 sections. (Each section indicates 6 points of hull. Instead of the 4 points of hull with "tick marks. Let me know what you think.)

I still think dividing it into sections of 5 hull each makes it much more intuitive and easy to count quicker, even if (if no more than 3 different-looking sections can be done) the last one has more than 5.

Agreed. People just think in 5s and 10s. I see 2 tick marks that are about 5 apart and I think 10, not 8 or 12.

Regarding the options, I'd say none :D How about a slowly growing in height bar with ticks every 5? Or ticks at 5 and 15 and going right from minimum to maximum at 10, not 11?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 am

5thHorseman wrote:Regarding the options, I'd say none :D How about a slowly growing in height bar with ticks every 5? Or ticks at 5 and 15 and going right from minimum to maximum at 10, not 11?

Ok, did you mean something like this?

3 levels, 5 health each:
http://imgur.com/JDHFJ1s

Or maybe this?

4 levels, 5 health each:
http://imgur.com/4J91ulR

Edit: Version 0.951
-Fixed a few more issues with CE compatibility that slipped by me the first time, should be fully compatible now
5thHorseman

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.951

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:48 am

Russian Rockman wrote:Or maybe this?

4 levels, 5 health each:
http://imgur.com/4J91ulR

That was more what I was thinking. It personally doesn't bother me at all that the final one is 7.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Russian Rockman

Re: Shiny! Complete UI Overhaul v0.96

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:42 pm

Thank you to everyone who is still following this thread! :D

New update focusing on crew graphics. If you noticed (well you probably didn't, but I did... :roll: ) in vanilla some crew like Lanius are a bit off center in the hangar, crew selection list, just standing around, etc... I have implemented the crew realignment from sMPK to correct this problem, with just a few changes of my own.

Also, I have added projectiles for the crew's laser guns!!! The ones they use to fight off boarders. In vanilla they just fired rectangles, now they look like they are firing actual lasers. :)

Because of these changes a separate version of the mod for CE and Vanilla is required. This also means that the vanilla version no longer includes the CE floor layouts though and will allow me to make more changes to some of CE's stuff without interfering with vanilla.

v0.96
-Crew realignment from sMPK added
-Custom projectiles for crew laser guns added (in vanilla they fired rectangles :p)
-Fixed some graphical errors with the store menu
-Fixed Lanius ship using Federation C artillery animation in Captain's Edition
Separate versions for CE and Vanilla added:
-Vanilla version no longer includes CE ship floor layouts
-Crew realignment changes make a separate version necessary due to the changes CE makes to crew customization
Note: CE version does not include LordTrilobite's crew portraits yet

Thanks again everybody!
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:06 pm

Oh, speaking of which, you made the vanilla portraits add-on, yeah? I think I mentioned this in the CE thread, but I can't seem to find it now, but was there ever anything that was found to be making that error that makes it not work?

Asking mostly because I noticed a similar graphic glitch when I was trying to use another mod and apparently there was..."a missing close tag for the Colour List" that fixed it. Might be the same thing? Sorry for asking here, I just remembered thanks to your post, orz.

I am looking forward to using this when it's all up and finished though c: I love the idea of there actually being lasers for the guns, aside from the Crystal that always puzzled me why you never really saw a laser of some sort.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:04 am

FortunaDraken wrote:Oh, speaking of which, you made the vanilla portraits add-on, yeah? I think I mentioned this in the CE thread, but I can't seem to find it now, but was there ever anything that was found to be making that error that makes it not work?

Asking mostly because I noticed a similar graphic glitch when I was trying to use another mod and apparently there was..."a missing close tag for the Colour List" that fixed it. Might be the same thing? Sorry for asking here, I just remembered thanks to your post, orz.

I am looking forward to using this when it's all up and finished though c: I love the idea of there actually being lasers for the guns, aside from the Crystal that always puzzled me why you never really saw a laser of some sort.

The Crystal people fire shards, which makes sense. Rocks throw, well rocks, and Mantis spit acid. Everyone else uses laser guns. ;)

As far as I know there is no reason why the Vanilla Portraits add-on for CE should mess with anything. It works fine for me, and I haven't heard of it affecting anyone else. I didn't edit any .xml documents for the Vanilla Portraits, only the images so "a missing close tag" would not happen in that add-on. I hope you got it to work eventually? I'll be updating that add-on by the way to include the new lasers. And it's still up on the CE OP, it may just be buried in the sea of download links.

If you want to start using this now it's pretty much "up and finished." I'm not yet ready to call it 1.0, but it's pretty much done. I appreciate feedback from everyone.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:23 am

Sadly no, it still doesn't work for me, and I have no idea why. Alas, I must live with it c:
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:39 am

FortunaDraken wrote:Sadly no, it still doesn't work for me, and I have no idea why. Alas, I must live with it c:

That is really weird. :? I had a problem with BPAB 1.3.1 though for CE. Anytime I tried to use it the game would crash, but that was only on my laptop, on my desktop it worked fine... :?

I'm curious if you downloaded this if there would be any problems because right now the CE portraits are not used.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 am

I'll download the latest version, patch it in and let you know! Hum, de hum...

Code: Select all

- BB 1.2.1
- CE resources 1.24
- CE 1.242
- CE BB patch
- CE music
- Infinite
- Shiny

Hee, the loading graphic is cute...everything seems fine! All working as it should c: And I don't have the portraits, yaaaay X3 Now if only it was in purple... :p