[SHIP][BETA] FS Lunatrix V1.2

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Colonel Saul Tigh

[SHIP][BETA] FS Lunatrix V1.2

Postby Colonel Saul Tigh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:50 pm

Hello people of the community, I'd like to present my new mod the Federation Ship Lunatrix.

This ship is the much younger brother of the osprey, instead of having an artillery beam this ship was designed to jump into the fray and chaos of battle and emerge from a field of debris in one piece.

The ship has a strong hull strength of 60 points, thanks largely to the layers of armor plating that have been welded over the top of the original structure.

It's weapons systems consist of 1 Vulcan Laser and 1 Breach Missile which at the beginning can't be used at the same time.

The ships has level 3 engines due to the old micro jump unit that used to be installed, however it is no longer fitted, but the engines still remain in pristine condition.

However this ship in particular was one of the first of it's model and thus does not have the compatibility for a shield unit, in other words, you cant get shields, NEVER, SO DON'T BUY THEM IN SHOPS!

Hull Image:

Cloak Image:

Weapons - 5
Engines - 3
Oxygen - 1
Pilot - 1
Sensors - 1
Doors - 1
Reactor Power - 8

Crew - Human x3

Augments:

Titanium System Casing
Rock Armor Plating

DOWNLOAD

https://www.mediafire.com/?b31mbed2a14i2he

This is my first mod and most definitely not finished, any feedback would be appreciated.

To-Do List:

Gibs
Floor Image (TIPS on this would be helpful, Its always out of proportion compared to the layout.)
Type B

Change List:

Beta 1.1:
Removed Shields completely
Buffed hull to 60 points
Fixed cloaking Image
Made some minor adjustments to the hull image
Changed starting weapons systems
Increased starting weapon system power
Added Rock Armor Augment

Beta 1.2:
Replaced Automated Re-loader augment with Titanium System Casing
Buffed reactor Power to 8
Buffed Weapons System Power to 5
Changed starting weapons to x1 Vulcan Laser and x1 Breach Missile
Corrected spelling in ship description
Last edited by Colonel Saul Tigh on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NarnKar

Re: [SHIP][BETA] FS Lunatrix V1

Postby NarnKar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Damn, that's a sexy hull! I really like the plating art you did.

If I were designing it, I'd put a bit more at the back. To me, it's a bit front-heavy, and it lacks some weight at the back. On the other hand, that is kind of the point of your lore, calling for small engines, so...
Again, if this were me, I'd put a row of small Fed Scout engines there. I've done a brief mockup splice here.
Feel free to ignore this, though, if it breaks your lore too much--it's just a disagreement over composition of the piece.

The other thing I gotta say is that the front looks unusually blocky and rectangular in contrast to the rest of the ship, which has the curved body and slanted wings. I don't know if it's just me seeing things, but the front engines look like they're laid-out perfectly straight with the front of the ship, when in reality it would be slightly to the left, I think.

Oh, and there's one plate which doesn't really make sense, dimensionally. I'll edit in a picture of the specific plate, but: It feels like it's just laid, 2D, on top of the ship, rather than curving around the ship in 3-D space. It should really curve down the wall of the hull and then down to the wing, IMO.
Original on the left, mine on the right. Here I've added some shading and stuff and yeah, same as I said above.

Again feel free to ignore. I'm no expert, and the hull's already quite nice as it is!

One thing I gotta note is that, despite the starting limitations in reactor and weapon loadout, those can be overcome very quickly, and don't really balance out the 50 hull. Perhaps consider giving it Rock Plating instead; the plating of the hull is very similar to the idea of the Rocks, you know?
Colonel Saul Tigh

Re: [SHIP][BETA] FS Lunatrix V1

Postby Colonel Saul Tigh » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks for the feedback, Funnily enough that was a hull plate which i had trouble with due to the curved lighting effects due to the shape of the ship.

I see what you mean about the engines at the front and maybe I will improve the rear of the ship a bit, the only reason I added the front engines was because I didn't really like the front section of the osprey.

But I'll load up gimp and have a play around with a few things, Thx for the tips
ZippyDragon

Re: [SHIP][BETA] FS Lunatrix V1.1

Postby ZippyDragon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:17 pm

I did a small video about this here http://youtu.be/Vl85YSDxbxA
"Advertise like shameless whores" - Jesse Cox
Sovereighn2280

Postby Sovereighn2280 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:48 pm

It's a challenging ship, I'll give it that. It's a serious pain when the enemy ship keeps aiming at my weapons system and I can't get a single shot off and then having my crew die in an attempt to fix it :evil:... Anyway, it did take me a while to get accustomed to the gameplay style this ship has, as I'm used to "take as little damage as possible, while quickly taking out the enemy ship."
Colonel Saul Tigh

Postby Colonel Saul Tigh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Okay, that video showed me that the balancing of the ship had quite a few flaws, I'm thinking chainging the weapons definitely, and maybe fiddling with some other things.

Oh and It's not a prototype cruiser, It is a very old retired cruiser that was in use well before current shield technology, so it's incompatible with the shields of today so as a result of this the ship's owners have been stacking on as much armour plating as possible.

But I'll have to see if I still have the files around on my computer, I think I've still got the art but the other files went missing after my use account got corrupted, Thx for the feedback though, very helpfull.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:36 am

Interesting ship. I despise ships without shields due to repair costs most of the time, but with a higher hull value...very interesting. I might try this out.

What ship does it replace?
Colonel Saul Tigh

Postby Colonel Saul Tigh » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:10 pm

As of current, it replaces the Federation Cruiser A Type, sort of designed as an older decommissioned brother of the osprey, note the similarity in the hull shape.