[Ship][AE] Auto-Cruiser 1.01 & Auto-Constructor 1.0

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
dalolorn

Re: [Ship] Auto-Cruiser v.1.1

Postby dalolorn » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:39 am

Russian Rockman wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:I've been trying to get it to work for quite some time, but the main feature of this ship (encased systems) has been broken in AE :( While there is a workaround for this, it has some pretty nasty side-effects (ie. boarders spawning in the room which you can't access, etc).

So unless FTL devs decide to bring this particular feature back (which I don't think will ever happen), this ship will remain broken.

Isn't it possible to make it so that you can access the "encased room" or at least so boarders can get out of the room by using two overlapping doors and such?

Perhaps it is, but you still have to fix the damage dealt by the boarders. Something tells me the issue isn't in the enemy getting out, but in you getting in. :P
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:41 am

dalolorn wrote:
Russian Rockman wrote:
kartoFlane wrote:I've been trying to get it to work for quite some time, but the main feature of this ship (encased systems) has been broken in AE :( While there is a workaround for this, it has some pretty nasty side-effects (ie. boarders spawning in the room which you can't access, etc).

So unless FTL devs decide to bring this particular feature back (which I don't think will ever happen), this ship will remain broken.

Isn't it possible to make it so that you can access the "encased room" or at least so boarders can get out of the room by using two overlapping doors and such?

Perhaps it is, but you still have to fix the damage dealt by the boarders. Something tells me the issue isn't in the enemy getting out, but in you getting in. :P

The Auto Cruiser auto repairs. ;) Though I' don't remember if it still does once you get crew. I'm pretty sure it still does. Encased systems before AE couldn't be manually repaired either. :P
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:40 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Isn't it possible to make it so that you can access the "encased room" or at least so boarders can get out of the room by using two overlapping doors and such?

Yes, however that introduces another problem: boarders can get inside the room, but, as dalolorn mentioned, you can't follow them in to fight them :P (since the overlapping room will intercept the click)

On top of that, that's just one of the side-effects of this workaround. Another is fire spreading out of the encased room into the surrounding rooms, even though it is not connected -- it can get pretty confusing when you have no way to tell how much fire there is in a room because the fire sprites overlap :lol:
Also when there's no oxygen left, it's difficult to tell at a glance which room is deprived of oxygen, whether it's safe to cross that space with your crew or not... And a bunch of other stuff I haven't found out yet, I'm sure.

@Sleeper
Yeah, given the size CE has reached, that would be a royal pain :P
I still kinda have hope. I seem to vaguely recall Matthew mentioning something about taking a look at modding-related bugs after he's done with the vanilla ones... I even started a list to help him out.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:52 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@Sleeper
Yeah, given the size CE has reached, that would be a royal pain :P
I still kinda have hope. I seem to vaguely recall Matthew mentioning something about taking a look at modding-related bugs after he's done with the vanilla ones... I even started a list to help him out.

Apparently there are many many problems with overlapping rooms I hadn't considered. :roll: I guess it isn't really necessary then... :lol:

Nice list of bugs, I would suggest a few things:
-The saving and reloading after an event that doubles the fleet pursuit should be reported in the bugs thread now because that could potentially even affect vanilla
-You forgot that non-damage weapons also pierce Zoltan shields unless they are bombs or ion weapons
-The no oxygen stripes thing would be nice, but they probably won't add that in because of how they are implemented, they'd have to make new images for each possible room size
kartoFlane

Re: [Ship][AE] Auto-Cruiser 1.0 & Auto-Constructor 1.0

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:02 pm

So I've updated the Auto-Cruiser for AE compatibility -- added the new systems (which required a minor layout change), and redesigned it a bit. The piloting system is no longer encased, but still cannot be manned -- you've still got the advantage of it being an automated ship, after all...

Also, as per Sleeper's suggestion, added layout B -- the Auto-Constructor. Details, and download links, are in the first post.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 pm

How did you code the no crew and the unmannable piloting?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Ships that start without any crew are considered by the game to be automated ships, and thus receive benefits associated with those. Then, the starting crew is added via events (that's where the USB framework comes in)

Unmannable piloting is done by simply "removing" the station from the system (by setting its <slot> to -2)
Estel

Postby Estel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks for the update! Hoever, version A seems to be broken link (Auto-constructor downloads fine). Thanks in advance for fixing the issue.

/Estel
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 am

@Estel
I was cleaning my Dropbox directory, and I thought I deleted the old Auto-Cruiser, but I actually deleted the updated one... Duh .__. Should be fine now, thanks for the heads-up
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:17 pm

Hey,

I was wondering if it was alright for me to use the art for the A-layout to create a "true" playable AI-ship.
Read : I already did the work, but before I release my video on my channel and put in online for others, I'm asking if it's alright with you. Made it clear the art isn't mine btw.

Made it into something really nice though, no room for O2, which turns out is ok since you can't get any crew anyway...
Got room for every other system (even for Clone bay, medbay and teleporter, which turned out to be pointless since I thought I could still get Lanius or AI avatars.)
A small workaround for dealing with Lanius (and AI's on CE) and breaches.
A mod for normal AE and one for CE.
Still a few problems though... Ah well, first attempt at modding myself so...
Anyway, if you don't want the thing to see the light of day, let me know ok?
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.