[SHIP] The Arrowhead

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[SHIP] The Arrowhead

Postby NarnKar » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm

THE ARROWHEAD:
A ship that the Lanius cobbled together out of leftover scraps.
Ship Class: Reclaimed Cruiser
Mission Codename: Phoenix
Mission Priority: Aleph-one-Alpha
Mission Summary: Deliver top-secret data to the Federation base and cripple the Rebel fleet.
Mission Description:
All Lanius are inherently aggressive people*, indiscriminately seeking out sources of scrap metal. Most are content to consume it, drifting from place to place in their oddly-shaped ships; some take pride in their metalwork, repairing ships and making weapons from piecemeal scraps. But only one can turn the pieces of charred shipwrecks back into working ships: Magnus the Mad.

He followed the war's remnants to our station, fusing ship scraps together as he traveled--when he arrived, he didn't come in a typical Lanius bomber or scout; he came in a bizarre cross between a Rock and a Slug scout. He looked at our junk heap (all the ships that failed Codename Phoenix), and damn near exploded with rage, swearing at us and spitting curses in his native Lanian. And although we couldn't translate, we could hear the sheer hatred in his voice.

Then he punched out our guards, and attached the spare parts to his cruiser before our reinforcements arrived--and when they did, he lent his cruiser's services to the Federation.

Ordinarily, we wouldn't let such a violent person take an Alpha-priority mission. For assaulting Federation staff, we'd have him arrested and probably jailed--and someone with the title of "the Mad" is never really good news. The Lanius gave that title to him when they saw just how far he would go for his “art”: he cloned himself, and killed each of his clones to harvest their metal.

Of course, these aren’t ordinary times. We’re down a lot of ships, and he was willing to volunteer…and besides, he’ll kill just about anyone for his art, Rebels included.

(*At least, according to the opinion of this biased mission reporter. Which is actually just an excuse for messing up the Lanius lore. It's a bit embarrassing, really.)

Yep, a ship made entirely out of the gibs of other ships. See if you can spot them all!

Starting Equipment:

Code: Select all

Clonebay: level 1
Doors: level 1
Engines: level 2
Oxygen: level 1
Piloting: level 1
Sensors: level 1
Shields: level 2 (1 shield bar)
Weapons: level 4
-Burst Flak Gun
OR
-Small Bomb
-Heavy Laser
-Basic Laser

The Burst Flak gun is a custom weapon that Magnus personally made--to him, metal is the finest of all matter, and his custom gun is ceremonially important as well as powerful. In human terms, it's kind of like using a gilded sword--showing class superiority while also showing battle prowess.
It fires four shots per volley: 1 medium debris piece, another medium debris piece, a large debris piece, and a clump of debris, dealing up to six damage (1 damage per piece, the clump is made of 3 pieces). 18 second cooldown, 4 power.

30 Hull, 8 Power bars. 10 missiles, 15 drone parts (or 20 missiles if playing the alternate version)
Starts with 1 Lanius, 1 Human, and 1 Rockman.
Augments: Titanium System Casing.

Download here
Alternate version here(no custom weapon)

Known issues:
-balance issues?? probably. I make all my ships a bit easy because I suck at FTL...I try to go for ships that are powerful, but not overpowered...like, if you take a hit to your weapons, you've got no offense left, but you've got a powerful gun to make up for it

Art Attribution: The description says it's gibs from FTL...credit should be fairly obvious. But nonetheless: creators of FTL own the original resources, from which I've recolored/pasted together something new.
Last edited by NarnKar on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
el Rago

Re: [SHIP] The Arrowhead

Postby el Rago » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 pm

that was intersesting to say the least

the ship is a looker if a bit too black. I think you made it like this so it does not look too cobbled togheter. maybe some "mad" stripes?

The custom weapon is great, but it does need another support weapon to get more out of it.

Ship is not overly powered (OP is the terminology here?). With 25 power for the reactor, you will have to manage the big guns (been using The Potential lately :) )

If I have a criticism it is in the gibs, they fly out rather quick upon explosion, maybe slow them down a bit?

also with the lore you have the Lanius asks to be renamed.

all in all with the short test I gave it, it is a nice ship. And AE is hurting for nice ships lately.

this one will stay for a bit
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:07 pm

el Rago wrote:the ship is a looker if a bit too black. I think you made it like this so it does not look too cobbled togheter.

Yes, guilty as charged.

el Rago wrote:maybe some "mad" stripes?

In the next version, maybe. I've made a different ship out of some of the same gibs, some different ones.

el Rago wrote:If I have a criticism it is in the gibs, they fly out rather quick upon explosion, maybe slow them down a bit?

Duly considered. Although the thing is really just held-together gibs, so it makes sense for them to fly apart quickly. But duly considered, anyway.

el Rago wrote:also with the lore you have the Lanius asks to be renamed

Yeah, yeah. I suppose so. I'm not that great a writer...although most of my Lanius come to me with the names "Elnubnub" or "Translator". Hah, what even IS a Lanian name?

EDIT: either that, or you mean to say "the lanius spawned in the ship is not the lanius in the lore"--I haven't gotten into event-writing yet. I'll look into it.

el Rago wrote:all in all with the short test I gave it, it is a nice ship. And AE is hurting for nice ships lately.

this one will stay for a bit

Thank you, thank you! :D
Woodledude

Postby Woodledude » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 pm

NarnKar wrote:-snip-

Very interesting ship you've put together, my friend. While I don't think the lore is entirely accurate - Lanius are inherently *passive*, essentially taking the role of space vultures, and also are capable of a great deal of metal warping - This certainly looks like something a "mad" Lanius would make. Not sure if cloning would work like that, and if it did, the Lanius would probably be happy to reuse the metal. XD

Regardless of my protests with the lore, this is quite a nice ship, and it has a fairly interesting layout. I'll see about playing it, but for now, I'm busy with my own ship.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 pm

Woodledude wrote:While I don't think the lore is entirely accurate (etc.)

oops, hahahaha...

yeah, I admit I kinda messed up the lore behind the ship. Like, most of the background on the Lanius, really.

I suppose the focus is on mr. Magnus himself, but nonetheless...
I added a bit of a fix, but it's. still embarassing
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:04 am

Do you mind if I use the hull in a personal project of mine? I could give you credit for it.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 am

Why are you asking everyone this? Why are you bumping old topics to ask this? Why aren't you visiting the Shipyard?

And to answer your question: maybe, but it depends on what the project is.
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:23 pm

I have been visiting the shipyard. In fact, I have a whole collection of ship hulls from there. I've even created a few ships that I'm planning on posting here when I finish some minor things. But I stumbled upon a couple other ships that were created by other people, and I'm asking for permission to reuse them.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Well okay cool, but what's your project?