The Shipyard

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
opticlops

Re: The Shipyard

Postby opticlops » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm

xlandar wrote:Could you post a photo of the dalek ship you want to make? I did a quick google search and the ones i saw seemed pretty easy to make. I would be happy to try and create one for you.

Here are the ship that I'd like to make: http://imgur.com/a/XExSJ If you could make a ship I would be so grateful!! I wish that I was able to make it on my own but atm I don't have the time/ skill
dwightlooi

Postby dwightlooi » Wed May 14, 2014 2:00 am

Actually, I'll just settle for being able to start with a customized ship instead a ground up design. Pick a hull from any of the unlocked ships. And for each unlocked ship you start without shields, weapons, augmentations, crew, engines, reactor or anything. But, you get a fixed number of credits to buy these things as you would from a store. To balance the game, certain better laid out hulls have slightly less credit points. Generally speaking building one of the existing ships as configured in the standard game will roughly expend all the points for that hull. This way it wouldn't be a way for players to build superships.
XionGaTaosenai

Postby XionGaTaosenai » Sat May 17, 2014 4:41 am

So, I have a pair of simple enemy ship designs (a Rebel and and Auto ship) that I put into the game (the idea is to have entirely new types of enemy ships to hold new AE systems instead of just old ships with changed layouts). I'm not very good with making ship images that look good, so I was wondering if someone would be willing to make ship images to go with my two designs.

Rebel Interceptor. The ship should be roughly symmetrical even if the layout within is not (in the same vein as the Rebel Rigger, basically). I'd like it to have a kind of downwards-pointing triangle shape, to compliment the upwards-pointing triangle of the Rebel Fighter and the rectangle of the Rebel Rigger. Also needs a pirate version.

Auto-Disrupt. Kind of looks like a crab, with pincers.

I also made a fourth kind of Mantis ship, but if Sleeper Service or whoever originally made the ship is okay with it, I'm fine with appropriating CE's Mantis Minelayer image for that (though a Pirate version of the minelayer would still be nice). If not, I'll throw up the design I have for that too and see if anyone's interested in making something for it.
dmi3

Postby dmi3 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Not sure if this is the place for it, but if some modder is interested in creating a ship with artillery, you can use any of Open Arty's files. There are faction-themed weapons balanced (more or less) around the Federation Cruiser's beam as well as some very nice room images made by Russian Rockman.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Mon May 19, 2014 10:53 pm

I got tired making all the hulls for LTA, so I decided to do something new (normal for all of you guys)
I got lazy for the lighting and didn't really feel like changing anything. I guess it doesn't look that apparent.
I present:

The Derelict Ship:

"Some time in 2122, a warning signal being broadcast from the Derelict was detected by Weyland-Yutani and the commercial hauler USCSS Nostromo was subsequently sent to investigate, without the knowledge of its crew. "

The Juggernaut-class ship is a common cargo ship used by the Engineers for mostly military delivery purposes. Some of these ships could carry thousands of xenomorph eggs and weird logic-defying black goo that only drives the plot forward. Staying in the ship for a long time tends to make scientists make incredibly dumb decisions. (like the geologist who mapped the whole ship getting lost and the biologist that was a bit too friendly).

I'm not going to continue this and make it into a workable ship, so if anyone wants to use it have fun!
I think it might be fun if someone were to change mantis' sprites into xenomorphs. Could be an interesting overhaul idea in the Alien/predator universe.
doge

Postby doge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 am

here's my engi - lanius hybrid ship:
If anyone can help me think of a name and backstory, that would be awesome.
I was thinking that maybe the 2 ships were heavily damaged, and the engi on board combined the 2 ships (like the 2 ships you find trying to 'achieve a union').
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 am

doge wrote:here's my engi - lanius hybrid ship:
If anyone can help me think of a name and backstory, that would be awesome.
I was thinking that maybe the 2 ships were heavily damaged, and the engi on board combined the 2 ships (like the 2 ships you find trying to 'achieve a union').

That ship is a cool idea and I like the backstory. ;) It seems both the Lanius and Engi have an ability to reshape metal, though the Engi are a little more limited in that respect. It should come with Engi and Lanius crew that have formed an alliance out of necessity, despite the Engi's piece love joy attitude and the Lanius's all your scrap are belong to us! Kill kill murder attitude. :lol: Perhaps the Lanius can be reasoned with after all... Another interesting thought is would Engi Med-Bot Dispersal and the Respirators augment be enough to keep a crew alive without oxygen??? If not you could adjust the values of those augments, I think that would be really cool. ;)

Unfortunately a lot of good names like "Derelict" have already been taken... You could call it the Endurance, Survivor. POLYMORPH (Goes with the Engi theme ;) ), Transmuter, Outlast... Something like that. :geek:

I hope to see the finished ship uploaded sometime soon. :)
SpaceRogue

Postby SpaceRogue » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:32 am

Hi, there. I'm new here, thought I've been lurking on these forums for quite while. After playing (and beating) the game so many times I decided to see what modding of this game can do. These are my humble attempts to make the alternative skins for pirate federation scout.

TheUltimaton

Postby TheUltimaton » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:13 pm

I do hope I'm not reviving a topic that's too old or anything of the sort.

I'm not much for programming, but I do enjoy playing with graphics, pixel art, splicing, that sort of thing.
I was wondering where I can find images of the ships with a solid background. I've done some looking to no avail, I might just be terrible at searching though.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:51 pm

A month is perfectly acceptable ;) Well, if you need an image with a solid background, you can just take any ship in this thread (they're all posted with the intent of being used by the community) and add a background layer in Gimp or Photoshop.
Seems pretty obvious to me, hough maybe I've just misunderstood you :P
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL