First toughts on FTL (I'm not pew pewing anyone)

General discussion about the game.
bigbangnet

First toughts on FTL (I'm not pew pewing anyone)

Postby bigbangnet » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:32 am

I read thepost from GeldonYetish and I got those tips in my skull. But this game is so freak'n hard :lol: I die more than I finish the game. I'm usually good with games but this one makes me feel like I'm an idiot :lol: . Best game I did was with the starter ship and got to the final boss but that's it. He made me choke on my balls lol. But it is fun and adictive though since it has some micromanagement and the gameplay seems to get me hooked as in a "I should fit my ship this way... during this type of encounter, I gtfo... kind of thing"

I did notice what made my gameplay very difficult to nearly impossible. Since those are my game experience, don't flame me for those ... just remember this is just a game and it no way it's suppose to represent reality. I mean, Sure dying could be consided fun in an ironic way but not constantly. I know it's suppose to be hard but when you got options to level those difficulty it makes it even nicer to play with. Unfortunately those difficulty settings are available (enemy damage, enemy encounter, less shops, less rewards, etc).

• Hull Repair is impossible in any way except in shops and some drones
  • Once your shields are gone, your ship will die way too quick. Seems like you receive damage like super fast (could be me ???)
  • The welcome party (boarding enemies) are cool but how come I can teleport only 2 but enemies gets away with 4 and sometimes 5 ?
  • It all comes down to hull repair... I honestly think there should be something that could allowed me to repair hull by myself and not in a shop
  • That could be me but the rebels advance seems to be very fast... hell I can't make 1/4 of the map before I have to jump. Personally I think it should be a bit slower

Do you think I'm too harsh or exagerating on that. If so, then a difficulty scale should be in place with a reward balance in this case then. That's the only thing I can think of to somewhat "fix" this gameplay. I'm not saying theres a problem but constantly dying (I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here) is not fun.
LostInTheWired

Re: First toughts on FTL (I'm not pew pewing anyone)

Postby LostInTheWired » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:51 am

bigbangnet wrote:
  • Hull Repair is impossible in any way except in shops and some drones
  • Once your shields are gone, your ship will die way too quick. Seems like you receive damage like super fast (could be me ???)
  • The welcome party (boarding enemies) are cool but how come I can teleport only 2 but enemies gets away with 4 and sometimes 5 ?
  • It all comes down to hull repair... I honestly think there should be something that could allowed me to repair hull by myself and not in a shop
  • That could be me but the rebels advance seems to be very fast... hell I can't make 1/4 of the map before I have to jump. Personally I think it should be a bit slower

Do you think I'm too harsh or exagerating on that. If so, then a difficulty scale should be in place with a reward balance in this case then. That's the only thing I can think of to somewhat "fix" this gameplay. I'm not saying theres a problem but constantly dying (I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here) is not fun.

I'm in the same boat (recently bought, new player), but I don't agree with ALL your points. There are a few that are batshit insane though, I agree.

• In a way, I can understand this. I don't always like it, but I understand it. Could be worse. Could be super expensive to repair.
  • That's kinda the point, it seems, with shields. At the same time though, upgrading my engine and keeping someone on the engineering console, I get crazy evasion, so you gotta mix the two for defense.
  • I have to agree with this. It always seems like a crock of shit how I die, after doing extremely well, because a ship decides to throw FIVE MANTIS CREW on my ship. I mean, what the fuck? They teleport through shields as well, which is absurd. There's no real defense. No matter what crew you have, you're most likely going to lose.
  • It would be nice, very true. Could be worse still...
  • I actually havn't had that problem. I generally get about half the map before jumping, I'd say. The nebulas make it even better. While I'd love to explore more like I do in other roguelikes, It's an interesting way to force progression.
Postal

Postby Postal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:16 am

1 and 4. Outside of shops, there's the Hull Repair drone, which is incredibly powerful (1 drone consumed for 3-5 damage repair), or there's an augment called the Repair Arm. It takes a portion of all scrap you receive and repairs your hull. Since it's automatic, it allows you to focus on more important matters.

3.The second form of the Mantis ship (The Basilisk) actually has a 4-person teleporter, so you do actually get to use that if you want.

5. I've never run into the rebels moving too fast; As long as I plan my path beforehand, I'm usually able to hit 2/3 of the beacons in a sector before I reach the exit. There's also the "delay" events, if you're lucky.

Are you playing on Easy or Normal? Dying a ton is an integral part of the game; don't play expecting to win.
RynCage

Postby RynCage » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 am

Actually, being boarded is one of the easiest things to deal with in the game. [unless its a drone that boards you] Since they have huge health, good damage, Don't breath air, and have a good chance to breach the room they land in, They can cause serious problems.

If you never upgrade your doors then it does become an issue since you can't wittle them down by opening airlocks and suffocating them. The next best thing you can do is shack up in your med bay and hope they walk in and fight to the death. Certain weapons like bombs that you can use to target your own ship can be a big factor in taking down invaders.
But as long as you have level 2 doors, you can typically deal with any organic invaders easily. As long as you can keep the enemy ships weapons shut down. If not, then you just werent ready for that fight/ unlucky/ try again.

Outside that, yes. this game is very rouge and not so much like. there's a lot you can do to improve and min-max your way to victory, But if you're consistantly unlucky... You will lose. and that random element is the core feature of the game, So dont feel so bad. Everyone gets fucked by the RNG gods at one point or another.
Last edited by RynCage on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Techercizer

Postby Techercizer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 am

When boarded:
1) Pause Game
2) Open all doors and airlocks
3) Order crew into medbay
4) Close medbay bulkheads
5) Power Medbay
6) Open the doors to let attackers inside if they knock on medbay doors
7) ?????
8) Profit.

You won't lose a single subsystem with this; the boarders will make a mad dash for the air pocket once the vacuum hits. If you have an Engi ship you never have to worry about borders, because your whole ship is a med bay.
LostInTheWired

Postby LostInTheWired » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

RynCage wrote:If you never upgrade your doors then it does become an issue since you can wittle them down by opening airlocks and suffocating them. The next best thing you can do is shack up in your med bay and hope they walk in and fight to the death. Certain weapons like bombs that you can use to target your own ship can be a big factor in taking down invaders.
But as long as you have level 2 doors, you can typically deal with any organic invaders easily. As long as you can keep the enemy ships weapons shut down. If not, then you just werent ready for that fight/ unlucky/ try again.

This was quite recent. Lvl2 doors. They teleported into 3 different rooms, one of them being door control, the other shields. It's absurd to think that there is no prevention or recourse to defend yourself against it. Immediately losing systems to it, you have no defense.
RynCage

Postby RynCage » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:38 am

LostInTheWired wrote:
RynCage wrote:If you never upgrade your doors then it does become an issue since you can wittle them down by opening airlocks and suffocating them. The next best thing you can do is shack up in your med bay and hope they walk in and fight to the death. Certain weapons like bombs that you can use to target your own ship can be a big factor in taking down invaders.

This was quite recent. Lvl2 doors. They teleported into 3 different rooms, one of them being door control, the other shields. It's absurd to think that there is no prevention or recourse to defend yourself against it. Immediately losing systems to it, you have no defense.

Well, one thing to note is that when you send someone in a room to fight back, the invader has no choice but to stop attacking the system and focus on you. By shuffling crew members around you can by some time to save a critical system for your defense. [like the door controls]. But yeah, sounds like you just got shafted on that one.
But speaking of no defense against it, There's a certain ship that has a sheild system that prevents them from teleporting onto your ship while its up. And then there's always anti-personel drones.

Iv just personally never had an experiance where "the only reason i lost is becuz of deez invadurs. :cry: "
I typically lose because i can never get enough firepower for the endgame.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 am

The best way to deal with invaders is with the Small Bomb weapon. It's a damn decent way to deal with enemy crew on their own vessel as well, but it's probably the one you want to use most on your own ship, since it does no hull damage, and has very little fire chance, and no breach chance. All for the low, low price of fragging the living chrome out of whatever subsystem was in the room with them. (Or if they're in an empty room, no price at all except a small chance of fire.)

If you're boating small bombs (a valid strategy, just make sure you have at least ONE weapon that can do hull damage!,) you can pretty much frag an entire boarding party in one salvo with three of them, and if they don't die, they're gonna be so hurt that they'll be easy pickings even for humans or slugs, let alone Mantis, Rockmen, or Crystalmen.

The second best way is to have a Healing Burst Bomb on your ship, which probably means you're fond of boarding the enemy vessels. Just send in your boarding party and drop the healing bomb on them when they get low.

Breach bombs and Fire Bombs will get the job done as well, but they have less pleasant secondary effects, including hull breaches and hull damage if the fire rages out of control too long. Although, if the enemy's trapped in with the fire, you might consider that to be bonus damage instead of collateral damage.

And of course, there's always choking them out. One trick I find that works on the default Kestrel, is to open the three airlocks to space and keep 'em open all the time. The enemy boarding location is random, and if they beam into an empty airlock, they'll start suffocating immediately. Since no transit paths go through those airlocks, there's little reason not to do this.

[e]Oh, just one thing to remember? Your ship's evasion rating is applied to weapons you target into yourself as well. So you might want to order the pilot to abandon the bridge just before you beam the bombs in, or depower the engine (assuming your engineering crew doesn't consist of three Zoltan, of course.)
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
RynCage

Postby RynCage » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:33 am

I never knew your ships own evade rating applied when you attack yourself, thats pretty funny.
"OH NO, im shooting at myself! *gets out of the way*" :lol:
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:39 am

RynCage wrote:I never knew your ships own evade rating applied when you attack yourself, thats pretty funny.
"OH NO, im shooting at myself! *gets out of the way*" :lol:

In a way, I can sort-of understand it; your pilot isn't just evading enemy fire, s/he's jinking, juking, diving, twisting, turning, and otherwise flying like a madman, so it's probably gonna be as hard for your own teleport-bombs to actually arrive on-target as it would be for the enemy's.

On the other hand, it's kind of hilarious if you're doing it in open, empty space, next to a store.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.