Worrying trend in reading Kickstarter Backers

General discussion about the game.
Simbert

Re: Worrying trend in reading Kickstarter Backers

Postby Simbert » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:49 pm

As someone who did not back this game on kickstarter, and bought it on launch day, i still think that the game on launch, and for some reasonable time thereafter, should not be cheaper then on a kickstarter/beta access level. It should be like this out of pure self-interest of the developers, who WANT people to back their stuff early so they get funding during the developement time. If it becomes a trend that stuff is cheaper on launch than before it, people will just wait for launch to buy, which is not what developers want.

And it is also a fact that the people who preordered/kickstarted the minimum amount feel screwed over, and reasonably so.
darthrevan4ever

Postby darthrevan4ever » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:56 pm

But again kick-starting is not pre ordering and should not be seen as pre ordering. I wouldn't feel offended because of it, again as people have said kick starting is your funding a project that you want to see come to life, so paying a little extra should be fine (again your getting this thing off the ground here). But the big picture allot of people are missing maybe the price decrease was because of all the kick starters the devs thought okay we can now afford to let this game go for a lower price then we had originally planned on or expected.
Simbert

Postby Simbert » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:17 am

It might not be exactly preordering, but it is like preordering for a lot of people, especially with stuff like "$10 gives you a copy of the game once it is finished", it is to assume that a lot of the people who pledge 10$ don't want to altruisticly support a game being made, they want to HAVE that game. Which is perfectly reasonable, after all, making games is not exactly a charity.

And game developers want to have those guys actually pledge that money before the game is done, so they have that money when they make the game. Thus, annoying them is not especially smart, and giving the game out cheaper to people who commit later does not sound like a really good idea if you want people to commit earlier.
benexclaimed

Postby benexclaimed » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:39 am

This is so silly. The idea behind Kickstarter is that you kick in some money to help a project that's interesting and you get a reward for doing so. You aren't just getting a super cheap deal on a game just because you found it sooner than other people. That's the opposite of the point.
rwhit85

Postby rwhit85 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:52 am

I'm sorry if I'm reading this wrong, but people are really upset over $1?

I didn't find out about FTL until after the Kickstarter ended, I would have gladly paid $10 or $15 for the product I have today. The fact that it was $9 didn't factor into my decision at all. Honestly, the game is easily worth $15 - I've already gotten more fun out of it than games I've paid $60 for.

Was there a guarentee on the Kickstarter page that pledging meant you'd get the game cheaper than everybody else? Was it misleading in the description that the game would be higher priced than this?
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 am

The problem is that it isn't even Subset Games fault. They want to sell the game at $10 and the distributes use the discount practice as a way to generate interest and sell more copies.

Subset actually talked about this during the beta and didn't put up preorders on steam because of the discount which they didn't think was fair.
The kickstarter backers that was involved in this discussion didn't have that much of a problem with it but Justin and Matthew still wanted to try to avoid the discount as much as possible.
RynCage

Postby RynCage » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:08 am

Gorlom wrote:The problem is that it isn't even Subset Games fault. They want to sell the game at $10 and the distributes use the discount practice as a way to generate interest and sell more copies.

Subset actually talked about this during the beta and didn't put up preorders on steam because of the discount which they didn't think was fair.
The kickstarter backers that was involved in this discussion didn't have that much of a problem with it but Justin and Matthew still wanted to try to avoid the discount as much as possible.

Makes sense all things considered. But the entire subject is really a non-issue. It's just having nothing to complain about so you make a jump at this.
Techercizer

Postby Techercizer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 am

Would it have been better if pre-order copies of FTL were just not offered as a reward for donating enough? Because that's what it was: a reward, not a pre-order.
RynCage

Postby RynCage » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 am

Techercizer wrote:Would it have been better if pre-order copies of FTL were just not offered as a reward for donating enough? Because that's what it was: a reward, not a pre-order.

the steam version just should of went up for 15$.
Or the kickstarter "reward" should have been 5$ for a copy, and 10$ being beta access. There's all sorts of things that could have been done to feel like less of a slap across the face to people. But i digress, it's not that big a deal anywho.
Postal

Postby Postal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 am

Also added as an edit to the original post, but:

This caused much more of an argument than I was expecting, and was meant to be more of a discussion about the motivation and use of Kickstarter than about FTL itself. Don't get too mad at each other, people.