[MOD] Crew Diversity

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Gencool

Re: [MOD] Crew Diversity

Postby Gencool » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:54 am

I shall try and get a v1 release for next week, although it's difficult as the PC I have photoshop/FTL on is going to be transported to another city in about 4 days. I do have a v0.5 online if anyone really can't wait but it's got a few errors and I'd prefer to get all the races with at least one new sheet first.

Honestly, though, I haven't played CE since Space Stations were added, so I'm not sure on all that. Shall have to re-download it and chat with Sleeper when I get chance, but I'm really enjoying the spriting so I'm always up for more.

(I'll have a look at floating engies when I get back onto the PC =D)
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Flypaste

Postby Flypaste » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Will there be an optional download for humanoid engies if you do add floaties?
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:26 pm

To go in detail with my suggestion, it'd look more fitting for the actual race if this floating ball had an eye very similar to the humanoid engis. I'd also suggest a bulky engi aswell, something like a recoloured AP/Boarding drone with "boosters" under his feet that keep it elevated slightly above the ground.

If this is possible then the engi could aswell be one of the most diverse species of FTL!
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:31 am

I think Slugs could have shells as an alternate form in game...

Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 am

a Sir wrote:I think Slugs could have shells as an alternate form in game...

:) I really like that idea... BUT at the same time I don't think they should actually because then they just wouldn't be slugs. I feel like slugs, if they did ever have shells, would have evolved them away a long time ago. :geek:

My personal opinions... I love the beefy rocks, but they're so big they make the normal rocks look "small". So maybe you could make the beefy rocks just a little bit less "beefy".

Also, based by the old screenshots on the last page. I think the circle "shadows" underneath the crew should be a bit smaller. I'm not sure if that was just a test or not, but the ones that are not for Rocks I think should be just a bit smaller in diameter so they don't take up so much space in the room.

And I noticed another thing looking back. Your Zoltan that is facing downwards has a face that is glowing a bit more than the rest of his body. I REALLY like how it looks.

And one last thing. The "pants" on the rock men look too straight on the bottom. You should make them look a bit ripped so that the Rocks look more like the Hulk.

And one more last last thing... I see red hair is a bit difficult to get right on humans. Is there a possible workaround for it matching with other layers it shouldn't really belong with?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:21 pm

There is one workaround I can think of, which would be to make an individual layer for every hair/skin combo and have them invisible 9 times out of 10. Of course, that makes the 'lower' layers less common, and it also requires a /load/ of additional data/images, so I'd rather not do it that way...

Anyone know how i'd go about asking the devs to fix the random offset 'bug'? Considering it has literally no impact on vanilla...

I could maybe do a half-beefy rock?

All discs are gonna be re-done.

Pants noted, but I wouldn't think they'd be torn. They're more Thing than Hulk, afterall. I was aiming for something like this, eventually;
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/ ... 5s9gfl.png

The Glowy Zoltan face is part of my floaty re-sprite for them. I want to make them look more 'Living Energy' and a little less 'Lou Ferrigno'. It shall be an optional add-on.

I like the Snails idea. May become an add on later. Not first wave though.

I'm still unsure with Engies.
ImageImageImage
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Gencool wrote:
I'm still unsure with Engies.

I'd like to encourage you to have a shot at it by reminding that, as explained in the wiki they can,"adopt different shapes to better cope with their environment, although they generally maintain a humanoid form, which most other races are habitually more comfortable with."
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Alright. I understand about the Rocks pants. But then in that case maybe you should extend them down a bit so they don't seem like their taking a trip to the beach. ;) I just think they would either be like the picture you said or hulk because they probably don't really care much. They're very ruff and tumble, even their culture. And I would really appreciate making them just a little bit smaller just so the smaller ones don't look like adolescent a Rocks. And finally I think you give them either that war paint on their arm layer, and/or make a layer that can look like they either are covered in lava and/or veins. :D

I'll also say again, that I definitely love the direction you were going with the Zoltans. Maybe you might even want to give them bright colors, more glow, and make them ever so slightly transparent.

When you re-do the disks I'm sure it'll look really good. Even better than the outlines in vanilla.
CoryStarkiller

Postby CoryStarkiller » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 am

Ciurrioc wrote:10/10 would download :!:
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat May 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi guys!
Still not got the net sorted on my home PC, but I am still working on this (albeit slowly)

I think I have the discs sorted now. Screenshot attached, though the in-game shots are heavily anti-aliased, so a sprite-only example is included.

Playing with them on for a bit, they work better than I thought they would, and aren't too distracting in my opinion.
They also make enemies far more visible when they're on your ship, which is quite useful...

image.jpg
ImageImageImage