[SHIP][AE] The Black Shard v1.2.1

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
foveros

[SHIP][AE] The Black Shard v1.2.1

Postby foveros » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:09 pm

http://imgur.com/RKvKtZO

Description
A federation cruiser taken over by a sinister alien artifact.All that remains of it's previous inhabitants are Echoes.

The Black Shard is a boarding ship. It's main strategy is to cause hull breaches and then board with it's Echo (you might know them as Ghost) crewmembers who are immune to suffocation. Because of the clonebay and the backup DNA bank you will rarely have to teleport them back. You also have a mind control unit to help you.

Features
-A renamed clonebay ( the original shard itself) to bring your ghosts back.
-A renamed mind control unit (the shard's influence on the enemies).
-A two-man teleporter.
-A modified crystal weapon which pierces all shields, causes system damage, breaches and stuns (no direct damage)
-No oxygen system.
-A renamed backup DNA bank, slug repair gel, and rock plating.

Story
--BEGINNING OF LOG--
It was supposed to be a simple mining expedition. The reality proved far different, however...I don't have much time. Even now I can hear the sound of metal being ripped apart.
It all started when the sensors discovered a strange black shard floating in the asteroid field. We foolishly brought it aboard. It appeared to be made out of incredibly hard crystal, and inside were shapes that seemed to to be moving. It was strangely beautiful, although a strange whispering sound could be heard if you stood close enough. The same night, a creaking sound was disturbing my sleep. I was about to get up to discover what was making it when I heard the gunshot. We rushed to the storage room. The engineer was lying dead in a pool of blood, a gun on his hand and an amazingly sinister smile on face. The whispering was almost deafening. The crystal appeared to have merged with the ship's cybernetics. Despite our best efforts we couldn't detach it.
Things only got worse from then. The engines weren't responding to any command, and the sensors were similarly dead. That night, our captain strangled one of our crewmates while she was sleeping and then shot himself. The third day since we picked the shard up, my last remaining crewmate and me were seeing glimpses of the rest of the crew. They just laugh and run away, and when you turn the corner chasing them there is nothing there.
This is the fourth day since we discovered the blasted thing. I found my last crewmate impaled by a black pillar. That thing is assimilating the ship, it appears. I have locked myself in my room. The whipers and the giggling are insufferable. I am going to eject this log. If someone finds it, please notify the federation... someone.Try to find this ship and put an end to it.The oxygen system has long since stopped functioning and the air is ending. At least I still have my gun. It will be a relief to be in silence again...
--END OF LOG--

Note
Since the ship's lore is kinda incompatible with the single player mission I suggest you use a mod like Infinite Space or at least a mod that disables rebel persuit. I was thinking of making the ship automated so it can repair itself and adding the crew through an event at the start but I wanted to keep it compatible with as many mods as possible.
Speaking of compatibility:
This mod makes a lot of systems unbuyable. Dont play with another ship with this mod installed

Update History
V1.1
Fixed some bugs.
Buffed the Crystal Launcher ( Recharge time was 15 sec, now is 10. Stun chance is now medium.) and made it purchaseable from stores.
Removed the option to buy an oxygen system.
Removed all unusable systems from shops.

V1.2
Added miniship image.
Added gibs

V1.2.1
Fixed a bug causing the door system not to appear even if you bought it.
Drone system is now added from the start together with a system repair drone.

This ship replaces the Kestrel

download v 1.2.1 http://www.mediafire.com/download/52z20a01dlkvban/Black_Shard_v1.2.1.ftl

Credits
Thanks to : KartoFlane for making superluminal and helping me figure out why humans were appearing instead of ghosts.
The guys who made gimp.
And of course the creators of FTl for making such an amazing game.

This is my first mod, so any feedback is welcome :)
Last edited by foveros on Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mranth0ny62

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Black Shard

Postby Mranth0ny62 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:18 pm

That ship looks really interesting, I'll have to try it out
Phpminor

Postby Phpminor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 pm

for me ftl crashes as it loads bringing up "Runtime Error! program: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\FTLGame.exe This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way please contact the application's support team for more information" so please tell me why because its :evil: upsetting me :evil:
foveros

Postby foveros » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Hmm... just making sure but have you upgraded to advanced edition?
Could also be a compatibility issue. Are you running any other mods together with this one?
Does anybody else have the same issue?
rapdactyl

Postby rapdactyl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:44 am

I've never really been a fan of boarding as a strategy, but I really do like your ship mod!

It does seem a bit overpowered, but it's hilarious not having an oxygen system. I don't know wtf is going on, but the game I'm in I'm just constantly gaining crew. I've had to dismiss like 8 crew members so far, and I'm maybe 4 sectors in (Captain's Infinite Edition :3.) As a result, for all 3 of the sectors I didn't have an oxygen system, about a third of my crew was constantly suffocating and respawning. :twisted: I somehow managed to survive regardless.
foveros

Postby foveros » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:38 am

:shock: I never realized that if you gained any crewmembers you have no way to let them die!
That could really clog up the clonebay. Some ways I could fix this:
1.Add an oxygen system (I dont really want to do that. Imagine that ship with 2 mantis boarders. It would be really OP.
2.Remove the backup DNA bank(Making your ghosts killable with no way to gain more :cry:
3.Add a reconstructive teleport, lessening the need for constant respawns
4.Modify all events not to give crew. That would be a lot of work though.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:50 am

The last one's pretty easy by using a search/replace string with slipstream.

You could even make it so that events and shops can only give you ghosts (and, if you want, lanius)
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
foveros

Postby foveros » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:00 am

A search/replace string? Is there a guide on how to do that?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 am

The original slipstream thread has this;
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17102&start=30#p54666

I'm not too sure on coding myself, so someone else may have better info.

Basically you'd search for the crew rewards and alter them. You can also change rarity on the races blueprints to be 0 (then make the ghost's 1)
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
rapdactyl

Postby rapdactyl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm

I didn't mind it really. It was just kinda frustrating to be desperately trying to find another shop, only to see them not selling an oxygen system.

I have found a few other bugs. For instance, when you try to buy any AE systems and you've already filled every room, you'll just burn scrap. Same goes for the door system - the game doesn't even bother asking if you want to replace something, that scrap just poofs into the ether ]:

More importantly, the drone subsystem doesn't work at all. I can understand it being limited because there are only two spaces, but the drone bay doesn't even show up under equipment.