[WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
WhiteWeasel

Re: [WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Postby WhiteWeasel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:30 am

R4V3-0N wrote:I think the game stormwind could be off help, old flash game set all steam punkish and stuff, they even have a rebellion there with higher tech peoples attacking you. etc. Perhaps some inspiration can come from that.

Anyway I think the only problem we have now is the Rebel flagship....

It could be a big ship with multiple balloons like that galleon.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:36 am

yes but that is not the problem, it's the hard coding.

The fact it can only use those specific drones, it has those power surges, it kamikaze teleports most of it's crew without mercy, etc.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:34 am

R4V3-0N wrote:yes but that is not the problem, it's the hard coding.

The fact it can only use those specific drones, it has those power surges, it kamikaze teleports most of it's crew without mercy, etc.

I suspect the boss battle would just be really similar to the normal flagship battle, with new aesthetics. Drones could easily be reskinned. The zoltan shield could be replaced by a more steampunk alternative. Might be boring, but it's probably the best way to deal with the hard-coded stuff.

Anyways, I decided to extend Ship 1 a bit, since the original version didn't leave a lot of place for the system rooms:

The rest of the ships are fine, since I built them to perfectly fit rooms inside of them.
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:20 am

I would love to help out a bit with this mod, although I am also working on infinite space 2. I've never tried steampunk stuff before, so I'm going to stick with weapons and possibly UI for now.
art and coding tutorials wanted, pm if you have some good ones please!Image
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 am

I would help, hell my arts project this year for class if steam punk themed (so far 20 individual pics that are unique in art style/ media and stuff, I do not know how much my creativity can extend but I'm trying to push it)

Perhaps after I get it on my PC I can link you some of my designs for inspiration?

Also I can't WAIT to see the UI! I can see so much potential.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 pm

xlandar wrote:I would love to help out a bit with this mod, although I am also working on infinite space 2. I've never tried steampunk stuff before, so I'm going to stick with weapons and possibly UI for now.

That's great! Keep working mostly on infinite space though... I'm really looking forward to it :D

R4V3-0N wrote:I would help, hell my arts project this year for class if steam punk themed (so far 20 individual pics that are unique in art style/ media and stuff, I do not know how much my creativity can extend but I'm trying to push it)

Perhaps after I get it on my PC I can link you some of my designs for inspiration?

Awesome! I'm slowly running out of ideas, so any inspiration would help a lot!
Whoopty

Postby Whoopty » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm guessing you're going to redo a lot of events for this mod. While I can't commit to doing them all, when this mod gets to a point that it's playable, I'd be happy to write a few steampunk inspired ones to make it fit better.

Would that be of interest? I don't check these forums too often so please PM me if you'd like a hand and I'll see what I can do.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Whoopty wrote:I'm guessing you're going to redo a lot of events for this mod. While I can't commit to doing them all, when this mod gets to a point that it's playable, I'd be happy to write a few steampunk inspired ones to make it fit better.

Would that be of interest? I don't check these forums too often so please PM me if you'd like a hand and I'll see what I can do.

I'll make sure to contact you when the mod gets bigger and needs events!

Bzzzzzzzzzz! What is that buzzing sound you hear? There also seems to be mechanical whirring! Oh no! It's the [Mantis-equivalent faction]...

One of the most dangerous factions, these people are highly trained in hand-to-hand combat. They aren't exactly diplomatic and usually shoot first, then ask questions. Because of their violent nature their ships were built for boarding; inspired by nature's own flying machines, the legs would attach itself to the enemy airships and the stinger could transport the crew.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Just wanted to say that I like what you are doing!!! So keep it up. I actually never thought about it, but FTL could work really well as a steampunk world.

I'm not sure I could help too much but one thing I thought I would share is that you can change pretty much every aspect of the UI (though it may take some work) , and more things are changeable on the boss then you might think. I know and can tell you how/what you need to change for pretty much anything, but I am not sure I can actually help out much myself, too busy :( .

The backgrounds should be easy to change, you just need to find some sky images like faster than sound does. You can even change the "beacon map" images (which are now strangely found in the iPad folder) and what is interesting is those could be the only "top down" map images of the new "world" you are creating here. For the UI, making it wood textured or metal textured would look really cool in contrast with the sky background.

Anyway, this will take you a long time, but if you can commit to it and keep making those awesome ships you are making, you WILL be able to achieve what you are hoping to achieve in the long run so keep at it if you can!

By the way, love the bee ship. You can totally extend that into a wasp ship, mosquito ship, etc...
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:46 pm

YES!

First off, I love what you did with my Zoltan suggestion.

Secondly, the mantis ship really inspired me. Just a head full of warriors dressed as bugs with jetpacks to make themselves quicker and, and...

I told myself I wouldn't do any sprites and I would pack, but I had to give this a go.
I present, a slightly rough, steambug;

Image Image

(I think I might need to make the 'wings' a little lower 'cause, now that I've taken a step back, he looks kinda like a rabbit)
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff