[WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
a Sir

Re: [WIP] [Steampunk] Lighter than air

Postby a Sir » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:46 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:Unique you say? How far are you willing to stray from the stereotypical steampunk design?

Well, this is about as far as i'd go:

Ship 5 ( i meant 4) is finished. Updated main post!
This new faction is based around industrialization and the use of automatic mechanisms to function. Their ships are slow, but are characterized by better defenses and the use of drone systems. The equivalent in FTL would obviously be the Engi. It functions similarly to a hot-air balloon, but with an added rotor at the bottom to keep the whole thing floating.

I'll start working on the crew sprites and maybe another ship if I find a good ship design idea... As always, I'll keep you guys informed!

Edit: some pre-school math
Last edited by a Sir on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:28 pm

ship 1: Fed

ship 2: Fed

ship 3: Stealth

ship 5: Engi

This is what the ships you shown remind me off in game equivalent xD

I really like that last one!
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:17 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:
This is what the ships you shown remind me off in game equivalent xD

I really like that last one!

Those are exactly the connections I was trying to accomplish! Did I say ship 5? My bad.. it was the fourth ship. It was really fun to make though :P Thanks alot!

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could provide a link to a detailed account to what each sprite in the crew sheet does and the size of each image that the game uses? That could save some testing time...
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:46 pm

I'd like to see a ship in an odd configuration for the Zolts; like the ship being built around the balloon (using the current ship as a guide, the balloon would be the front/main bulk, the ship being the top and bottom left sections).
The fact that the balloon is 'wrapped' by the ship could help sell the idea of the shield being stronger, maybe?
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Gencool wrote:I'd like to see a ship in an odd configuration for the Zolts; like the ship being built around the balloon (using the current ship as a guide, the balloon would be the front/main bulk, the ship being the top and bottom left sections).
The fact that the balloon is 'wrapped' by the ship could help sell the idea of the shield being stronger, maybe?

Something like this maybe?

Updated main post! Ship 5 finished! This ship is from one of the most luxurious and peaceful factions of earth. Their ships are built specifically to protect itself with gold plating, and for displaying their wealth and power to other people.
WhiteWeasel

Postby WhiteWeasel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Hey, if you want to do something really exotic, you could opt out the balloons and propellers for skystone and glossair rings.
http://www.ffxii.us/airships/
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:14 pm

WhiteWeasel wrote:Hey, if you want to do something really exotic, you could opt out the balloons and propellers for skystone and glossair rings.
http://www.ffxii.us/airships/

They are very cool and all, but it doesn't match with the current theme of the universe. There's a consistency in the logic behind all the airships right now, which is that they could all theoretically fly under lower gravity or using an extremely buoyant gas in the balloons. With new "magic-equivalent" methods of flying, i think it might be a bit too much. :/
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:24 pm

Sir, you are producing these ships at a truly impressive rate. Considering that they are all hand drawn that is pretty awesome. 8-) I love the various styles you are going for, the whole thing still looks very promising.
a Sir

Postby a Sir » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Sir, you are producing these ships at a truly impressive rate. Considering that they are all hand drawn that is pretty awesome. 8-) I love the various styles you are going for, the whole thing still looks very promising.

It's Easter weekend and I'm bored... :roll:

The ships are probably going to come a lot less often than the past few days in the next couple of weeks, around a ship every two days. But so far only ships are done, there is still a lot of events to be written, crew sprites to be drawn, weapons to be made and everything else. I don't think it would be possible for me to finish all that alone... My sole partner should be back from vacation soon and hopefully I can find more recruits to help out...
Thanks for the compliments :D
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I think the game stormwind could be off help, old flash game set all steam punkish and stuff, they even have a rebellion there with higher tech peoples attacking you. etc. Perhaps some inspiration can come from that.

Anyway I think the only problem we have now is the Rebel flagship....
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.