[MOD][COMATOSE] Open Artillery v0.32

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
dmi3

[MOD][COMATOSE] Open Artillery v0.32

Postby dmi3 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm

A fairly simple mod that allows all player cruisers to buy and use the artillery system. Credit goes to Russian Rockman for coming up with the idea, creating the room graphics, and helping with balance, ideas and testing, and to Sleeper Service for inspiration and resources for some of the weapons. Special thanks to Vhati, for the fantastic mod manager, TaxiService, whose testing environment made things a lot easier, and to a bunch of more experienced modders who have given advice in this thread.

NOTE: Apparently, buying artillery corrupts your save file and causes the game to crash if you quit and continue. It's too buggy to play, but I'm leaving this mod up in case anyone wants to use the custom weapons/graphics for their own project.

Where this is going: Since DiplomaticImmunity discovered the artillery-related crashing in the CE thread, Open Artillery has been put on hold. It's practically done, though, so I should be able to post something to Working Mods if the problem gets patched.

Code: Select all

CHANGELOG:

v0.03: Initial release

v0.19:
*Added artillery to all ships except for Engi B and Stealth C
*Added ship-specific artillery for Engi, Rock, Mantis, Zoltan, and Lanius ships
*Added generic Heavy Laser Cannon for the rest

v0.2:
*Improved compatibility
*Added modified versions of Engi B and Stealth C with artillery, thanks to Russian Rockman
*Fixed Mantis C crashing, apparently

v0.32:
*Changed generic artillery to a burst weapon
*Tweaked pretty much every weapon
*Added crystal artillery
*Fixed mounts: artillery will now fire from the ship, instead of empty space

Download Version 0.32 Here
Install with Slipstream Mod Manager.
Last edited by dmi3 on Mon May 19, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Russian Rockman

Re: [MOD][WIP] Open Artillery v0.03

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:49 am

dmi3 wrote:A fairly simple mod that allows non-Federation cruisers to buy and use the artillery system. Credit goes to Russian Rockman for coming up with the idea, and special thanks to Vhati for the fantastic mod manager.

Note: This is a very, very rough draft. Neither the Vortex (there's something weird about its blueprints) nor any of the new AE ships can use artillery, and those that can all have the standard Vindicator beam. The system is too expensive to be worth using and there are probably a dozen other things that are broken. This version of the mod is no fun. As for compatibility, it should work with any mods that don't drastically change the game. Load Open Artillery before any ship mods and after anything graphical.

Where this is going: The first priority is to assign artillery rooms to all ships and balance the cost/rarity. A close second is to create unique artillery weapons that play off of each ship's strengths. Getting Open Artillery compatible with other mods would also be nice -- Captain's Edition is the first that comes to mind.

Download Here
Install with Slipstream Mod Manager.

Hah, well look at that... someone actually did it. And thanks for the mention! ;) Though all credit goes to you for actually taking the time to do this. :mrgreen: If you need any help with this PM me as I kind of feel obligated to help now. I am too busy to try this out right now, but I hope to see you improve on this.

Some ideas:
For balance I think that every artillery should probably just be given a standard 150 scrap cost. That's pretty heavy duty.

Also, probably each faction could have it's own artillery type. Quick brainstorming (Rock: missile/flak/fire beam?, Zoltan: ion/beam, Engi: ion, Mantis: Bombs?, Slug: Bombs/Anti-Bio beam, Crystal: like 4-5? Crystal projectiles, Lanius: A beam that causes hull breaches :twisted: , Kestrel: 4-5? Lasers like the boss super weapon)

And also for balance, I am thinking that probably the other artillery should not be equal to the power of the Federation artillery so that the Federation artillery maintains some of its prestige.

Anyway, great job and again I'm not sure if you are experienced with modding or not so if you have any questions or need any help please send me a PM. :D
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am

Sorry, I just want to check; each ship can have a different weapon that gets activated when it buys artillery? Or would you have to wait for the one that matched your ship?
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 am

Gencool wrote:Sorry, I just want to check; each ship can have a different weapon that gets activated when it buys artillery? Or would you have to wait for the one that matched your ship?

This mod is WIP, but my idea was that each ship gets different artillery weapon. And yes when you buy the artillery "system" it comes already with an artillery weapon for you ship.
dmi3

Postby dmi3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Russian Rockman wrote:Some ideas:
For balance I think that every artillery should probably just be given a standard 150 scrap cost. That's pretty heavy duty.

I'm pretty sure that 150 was a placeholder value, since artillery is supposed to mirror cloaking. Compared to, say, hacking, it's twice the cost for less than twice the utility. I'll experiment with the cost and see what works well.
Russian Rockman wrote:Also, probably each faction could have it's own artillery type. Quick brainstorming (Rock: missile/flak/fire beam?, Zoltan: ion/beam, Engi: ion, Mantis: Bombs?, Slug: Bombs/Anti-Bio beam, Crystal: like 4-5? Crystal projectiles, Lanius: A beam that causes hull breaches :twisted: , Kestrel: 4-5? Lasers like the boss super weapon)

Yes, definitely. I haven't unlocked the Crystal Cruiser, so suggestions for that one are especially welcome.
Russian Rockman wrote:And also for balance, I am thinking that probably the other artillery should not be equal to the power of the Federation artillery so that the Federation artillery maintains some of its prestige.

Right. The Federation ship will still be the only one to start with artillery, but I'll try to balance the others to not overshadow it.
Russian Rockman wrote:Anyway, great job and again I'm not sure if you are experienced with modding or not so if you have any questions or need any help please send me a PM. :D

Thanks. This is actually my first mod, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'll send a PM if I run into trouble.
Gencool wrote:Sorry, I just want to check; each ship can have a different weapon that gets activated when it buys artillery? Or would you have to wait for the one that matched your ship?

At the moment, each ship uses the same weapon. Once I get this working, it'll be like the first scenario: you buy an artillery system, and you get a weapon depending on what ship you're using.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Nice - so the next generation of custom ships could be made with this mod in mind...

Oh, also, stupid question, but is there any way of linking Artillery to Drones?
ImageImageImage
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Gencool wrote:Nice - so the next generation of custom ships could be made with this mod in mind...

Oh, also, stupid question, but is there any way of linking Artillery to Drones?

Cool idea but they answer is simply NO... :(

I guess you could try and see what designating the artillery as a drone does in the .xml, but I am HIGHLY, doubtful.

@dmi3

150 seems like a reasonable cost for artillery anyway since, basically, it can usually be used to decimate ships all on its own as long as you have the time. You can beat the final boss solely with artillery.

I hope I didn't spoil the Crystal for you ;)

And congratulations on this being your first mod. You're doing better than most.
dmi3

Postby dmi3 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Gencool wrote:Nice - so the next generation of custom ships could be made with this mod in mind...

There's an idea. You could make artillery show up in stores before, but it would also be available to vanilla ships, which couldn't use it. Now there's no downside.
Gencool wrote:Oh, also, stupid question, but is there any way of linking Artillery to Drones?

What Russian Rockman said. If there is a way to do it, it's way beyond what I know.
Russian Rockman wrote:@dmi3

150 seems like a reasonable cost for artillery anyway since, basically, it can usually be used to decimate ships all on its own as long as you have the time. You can beat the final boss solely with artillery.

Fair point. It costs 90 scrap in the current build, but I think I'll adjust it higher.
Russian Rockman wrote:I hope I didn't spoil the Crystal for you ;)

No worries. I've opened the stasis pod about a thousand times, I just can never find a Rock Homeworld sector.
Russian Rockman wrote:And congratulations on this being your first mod. You're doing better than most.

Thanks again. I've been lurking here for a while, but never made anything.

So I've been designing ship-specific weapons, because that's a lot more fun than trying to figure out the room numbers in the blueprints, and I ran into a problem with this one. Every time it fires, FTL crashes.

<weaponBlueprint name="ARTILLERY_MANTIS">
   <!-- Pretty much stolen from CE's neural stunner weapon.  Thanks, sleepy. -->
   <type>BURST</type>
   <title>Stinger</title>
   <short>Artillery</short>
   <desc>Stuns crew, damages systems, and breaches hulls, paralyzing an enemy ship. More power means faster cooldown.</desc>
   <tooltip>Artillery: Fires a burst of small particles that can pierce shields and disable enemies</tooltip>
   <radius>100</radius>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <stun>7</stun>
   <sp>5</sp>
   <fireChance>0</fireChance>
   <breachChance>2</breachChance>
   <speed>40</speed>
   <cooldown>40</cooldown>
   <power>1</power>
   <cost>0</cost>
   <bp>5</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <projectiles>
      <projectile count="15" fake="false">mantis_artillery_shot</projectile>
   </projectiles>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>bp_SFX_MantisSpit1</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>hitHull2</sound>
      <sound>hitHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>
      <sound>silence</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>artillery_fed</weaponArt>
</weaponBlueprint>

Originally it had 30 projectiles, but even after decreasing that it crashes the game. Is there anything obviously wrong that I'm missing?
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Yeah, with my limited knowledge of vanilla I knew probably wouldn't be possible. Not looked at the new ship/weapon stuff though =\

Thought for Zoltan ships; a wave of pure-stun bombs which can knock out all the enemy crew. Seems very diplomatic.
ImageImageImage
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20 pm

dmi3 wrote:So I've been designing ship-specific weapons, because that's a lot more fun than trying to figure out the room numbers in the blueprints, and I ran into a problem with this one. Every time it fires, FTL crashes.

<weaponBlueprint name="ARTILLERY_MANTIS">
   <!-- Pretty much stolen from CE's neural stunner weapon.  Thanks, sleepy. -->
   <type>BURST</type>
   <title>Stinger</title>
   <short>Artillery</short>
   <desc>Stuns crew, damages systems, and breaches hulls, paralyzing an enemy ship. More power means faster cooldown.</desc>
   <tooltip>Artillery: Fires a burst of small particles that can pierce shields and disable enemies</tooltip>
   <radius>100</radius>
   <damage>0</damage>
   <stun>7</stun>
   <sp>5</sp>
   <fireChance>0</fireChance>
   <breachChance>2</breachChance>
   <speed>40</speed>
   <cooldown>40</cooldown>
   <power>1</power>
   <cost>0</cost>
   <bp>5</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <projectiles>
      <projectile count="15" fake="false">mantis_artillery_shot</projectile>
   </projectiles>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>bp_SFX_MantisSpit1</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>hitHull2</sound>
      <sound>hitHull3</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>
      <sound>silence</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>artillery_fed</weaponArt>
</weaponBlueprint>

Originally it had 30 projectiles, but even after decreasing that it crashes the game. Is there anything obviously wrong that I'm missing?

Try adding <shots>1</shots>
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.